Savage Kit History

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmind

Hi all,

Is there a good thread or website out there that details the differences between Savage kits that HPI has released? Or a historical timeline? The reason why I ask, I decided to go a different route with my kids builds. That is buy some used trucks and rebuild them. So I found someone off Craigslist selling two savy rollers. I was under the impression they were both at least Savage X kits. During the purchase, I asked the guy what kits he had purchased, SS or RTR. He told me they were both RTR kits.

Well we started to disassemble both yesterday, and one is clearly an X "something". But the other one looks like my SS or a Savage 25 but has X version TVPs and roll bar / handle.

So now I'm confused. I thought that all Savage X kits had the easy to access diff design. Am I wrong? If so, what kit was that? Because other then the X TVPs and roll bar. The Bulkhead, shock towers, and skit plates look like my SS. Here are some pics:

unknowsavage_zpseb22001a.jpg

The unknown Savage.

wheelsOffUN_zpsa2f3d0c7.jpg

FrontOffUN_zps5718210a.jpg

FrontOffUN02_zps1341d61c.jpg

Close ups of the unknown Savage. These were the wheels on the savage.

wheelsOffX_zpsc3a84ade.jpg

FrontOffX_zpseffb9b21.jpg

FrontOffX02_zpsd3c4bb02.jpg

Close ups of the Savage X.

WrenchinAWAY_zps5c1855ba.jpg
NOTWrenchinAWAY_zpsae86402a.jpg

Kids Wrenching away :cool:..... OR NOT!!! ;) Dam boys..

Thanks for the time and support,
Nick

He may have simply assembled a roller out of spare parts or something. THese trucks have been around for 12+ years now, and are really interchangeable

Thanks, X, I have read that website before. I was looking (hoping) for something that detailed the differences between Kit to Kit and release date. Just wondering if HPI release a model that was the 25 as far as internals, but replaced TVPs and roll bar with X versions.

Jr. Don't I know it, I bought my original SS in 2006. Not a lot has changed between then and now. I know some enhancements have been made, but for the most part they are very much interchangeable.

The person I bought these from didn't seem the type that would piece one together from spare parts. But I could be completely wrong. Did HPI ever sell a X TVPs & Roll Bar conversion kit or something? I know you could easily just buy the TVPs and Roll bar separately. But just wondering.

Did the X TVPs change the length of the center dogbones? I know google is my friend on this! That question just popped into my head when writing this.

Like always thanks for the time guys,
Nick

AFAIK The X is standard .12/.25 length. I do remember a complete X update kit being offered at one point, but don't recall what it included.

Maybe he bent the TVP's and replaced them with Ebay chop shop items?

I have a set of X TVP's and they tempt me into building another lol

I have a set of X TVP's and they tempt me into building another lol

HAHA.... I have two sets of TVPs one original and the other X. I also have two 2 speed trannies, I have had this same thought a number of times over the years. In fact I had (it was stolen) a spare parts box, that I believe other then some screws, o-rings, gaskets, electrics and engine. I could have built one from scratch.

After looking closer and all parts. I believe you guys are correct. This must have been a rebuilt 25 with X TVPs. Everything on it is SS/25/4.6 parts. Even the tranny.

SavageTrannies_zpsdf17dbf5.jpg

The white painted (btw was that a thing to paint the composite parts? I really don't like it) tranny is off the unknown savy. This has been a good lesson, as I didn't know of the change in tranny case. One question i do have about this newer design in tranny case, do they leak easier? Because the tranny off the X is oily as hell. Or do you think they used diff oil vs grease?

Thanks,
Nick

You're right I think, they must have used oil. I have zero leaks with my "X" style trans case using grease.

You're right I think, they must have used oil. I have zero leaks with my "X" style trans case using grease.
The plan was to complete tear down the tranny, and rebuild anyway. During that process we are going to use grease instead.

Quick question about cleaning the plastic composite pieces. Would leaving the plastic only parts in a bath with simple green and water be a bad idea? Overnight? The question is more about time, normally i use to clean my RC model with ~25% Simple Green and %75 water. Sometimes add alcohol. Into a bottle with a tooth brush and my air compressor. But i don't have the time. I wanted tear down, and let the parts soak. As I have to take a trip, and don't want the little ones messing up...

Thanks,
Nick

The plan was to complete tear down the tranny, and rebuild anyway. During that process we are going to use grease instead.

Quick question about cleaning the plastic composite pieces. Would leaving the plastic only parts in a bath with simple green and water be a bad idea? Overnight? The question is more about time, normally i use to clean my RC model with ~25% Simple Green and %75 water. Sometimes add alcohol. Into a bottle with a tooth brush and my air compressor. But i don't have the time. I wanted tear down, and let the parts soak. As I have to take a trip, and don't want the little ones messing up...

Thanks,
Nick

I spray my truck down with it and let it sit complete and don't have any issues, other than I hate black liquorice lol

Latest posts

Members online

Back