Real Fire how to....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCNitro

Here's a how to I posted a while back at RCNitroTalk.com. Hope it will help anyone interested in trying it out.

Materials needed:

Paints -

Spaz Stix Hard Annodized yellow and orange
Pactra Acryl basic white and basic black

IMG_4298.jpg

Paint Shields -

I made my own freehand shields from scrap lexan

IMG_4302.jpg

Lets Begin -

The first thing I did was trim and wash the body. Then using the Spaz Stix Hard Metal anno, I shot the majority of the inside of the body, covering everywhere I wanted the flames, then let it dry completely.

IMG_4526.jpg

Next, using the freehand shield, and acrylic white paint I laid out the first layer of flames. Shooting around the outside of the shield. The heavier the white the brighter the yellow will be on the finished product.

IMG_4895.jpg

IMG_4896.jpg

IMG_4905.jpg

Next, after letting the white dry completely I shot the inside of the body with the Spaz Stix Hard anno orange and let it dry completely. Once dried I again used the shields and laid down the next layer of flames using the Pactra acryl basic white.

IMG_4911.jpg

After letting it dry completely again, I then backed the entire inside of the body with the Pactra Acryl basic black.

IMG_5340.jpg

IMG_5339.jpg

Then for the finishing touches I cut a thin strip of the window masks to make a border around the windows, painted the rivets on using a toothpick and some silver paint, backing that with Pactra acrylic charcoal, and then painted the bed using the carbon fiber technique.

IMG_5343.jpg

After peeling off the protective film this is what I had...

IMG_5349-1.jpg

IMG_5351-1.jpg

That's basically all there is to it.

Good looking lid NCNitro! Thanks for the great write up.

Nice and straight forward tutorial. I just got myself an airbrush-can't wait:hungry: I want to do a purple-flames on dark purple(maybe metallic) scheme. Id like to avoid the flames coming out pink. Any tips?

. I was wondering what you think of/experiences with hydro-dipping is. I'm new to airbrushing, I don't have a good gun, and I don't know how to a start hydrodip scheme I've been thinking of. I'm sure you've seen The paint jobs done by Pitdawg hydro. I'd like to do something like that but on a simpler scale.

I don't know much at all about hydro dipping, I would love to learn though, especially for hard bodies. For lexan though, I have been airbrushing over 10 years, it's part of the hobby I truly love, and could never see myself dipping lexan bodies.

I don't know much at all about hydro dipping, I would love to learn though, especially for hard bodies. For lexan though, I have been airbrushing over 10 years, it's part of the hobby I truly love, and could never see myself dipping lexan bodies.

Very good article, very nice job. I am somewhat confused on the beginning prosess. If I want my real fire on the front of the body only, what part of the body do I lay down the beginning layer of the Hard anidized, and how many coats? The rest of your article seemed quite clear. I would appreciate your feedback on what part of the body I should paint under the flame are.

Thanks so much,

Greg

Sorry for the delay Greg, I haven't been around much, got a lot on my plate. Do the entire body, or any white over spray will show as white, rather than yellow or orange. I usually do at least two even coats of yellow to start.

Sorry for the delay Greg, I haven't been around much, got a lot on my plate. Do the entire body, or any white over spray will show as white, rather than yellow or orange. I usually do at least two even coats of yellow to start.
Thanks NC, I just got my Spaz paint yesterday, (yellow and orange) including the chrome and backer I want to try. This will be my first experience with lacquer, I've always used the faskolor, and I really like the way it shoots. I have a Mustang Show Car with real fire, and I want to put some on a new RC body. (soon as I practice on the coke bottles some more). Get a bigger plate man..... Slow down, life's too short. Almost forgot, I am planning to use my faskolor white. See any problem?

No problem with the faskolor white at all< I just like the way the pactra acryl sprays better. I don't use chrome, for the true fire, I only use it to back bodies where the anno is the primary color.
This is the hard orange backed with chrome

S7R1.jpg

S7R5.jpg

So is this...
malfunction2.jpg

malfunction1.jpg

You do some beautiful work...... i have a 1/10 truck shell for my rc10gt and am gonna try that fire effect.....i will post if it turns out good......That Mal Function shell is sweet looking......

Thanks Jam, I love painting! Haven't done anything recently, but I am getting my spray area set up again, and I got a few clear ones ready to go. Post yours up when you're done, I would love to see it.

Latest posts

Members online

Back