Real car issue...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevrock

Sorry guys, it's long...

I took my car to a local Toyota dealership the other week, because I had a nail puncture a tire, and tear a hole in the sidewall. So I decided to get a few little things done while it's there.
Such as, repairing the two tires with slow leaks.
They called me shortly after to inform me of the wrong tire size issue, as well as them having to replace the valve stems on the tires that were staying on the car.

So I get the car back after paying $550. I check for the air and oil filters to make sure they're new, and to my eye they were.

There were new tires on the front, and the old front's on the back.
I get in and drive away.

10 days later I'm at a gas station putting air in my rear tires (Where they moved the old ones to), and notice this
p2230379jx5.jpg

and
p2230377dk0.jpg

They didn't replace the valve stems at all! And with the snow melting, I seen some bubbles shooting up in the bead of the tire! I was bitter, I checked the invoice and I was charged for having these ones replaced.

I should add, I can tell that they didn't replace the valve stems, because they are no where's near as nice looking as the ones on the front:
p2230380rf9.jpg

and
p2230378hf0.jpg

Now, when they screwed up the tire size, I was a bit mad because of some other experiences I've had during this unpleasant time. Like them asking if my 2000 Camry was FWD, and quoting me wrong prices for the tire repairs. She didn't do anything at all really for me.

So, what should I do to remedy my unrepaired repairs? The manager was of no use, but she was female (Not meant to be offensive), and the follow up letter that they sent me in the mail was in the name of a man, different from the one I spoke to earlier.

Should I call and talk to the one who signed the letter, or should I go in in person and raise hell?

Thanks for reading.

if the dealer don't know if your car is front wheel drive or not is bad,i would contact Toyota them self don't tell the dealer anything just contact the toyota rep ,i worked for a chevy dealer for 2 years and a fpord dealer for 6 years and contacting the rep or toyota themself should get u some where.Keep me up to date i would like to know how u make out

The problem with me going in is that... I have a bit of a temper.

When a company tries to screw me, I usually take it out on their representative that is sitting in front of me (Even if they are to blame).
I blacked out at the insurance company and came to trying to flip the desk on him :S.

I'm thinking I'll keep it to phone calls unless something doesn't get done.
I'll be sure to keep everybody posted.

Awesome, thanks for the link!

I'm with Chris. If a Toyota dealer doesn't know if a Camry is fwd or not scares me. I'd contact customer service with Toyota. For future refrence. Always check the repairs before payin. that way anything not done can be corrected at that time. Hope you get it resolved man.

I'm with Jester and Chris, This is a pathetic dealer. I mean they never made an camery that was either rear wheel dirve or AWD they should know this. I would go to the dealer don't call but go in and ask for the service manager don't deal with anyone else as they can't do anything for you. If I'm ever having problems I usually go straight to the manager as they are the only one that has a say and usually care about returning business compaired to there avarage laborors.

Being in the automotive business for most of my life, (dad has been at a Chevy dealership for 40 years) I would say give them a chance to make it right. Also, tact goes a LONG way! (you want somebody coming to yer job and screamin' atcha?) Give them a chance to rectify the problem - a lot of large dealers go through help like you go through underware, it's hard to find good help.

If things don't swing in your favor, call Toyota directly - Between my wife and I, we have owned 11 of them. They stand behind their product; and their service.

Being in the automotive business for most of my life, (dad has been at a Chevy dealership for 40 years) I would say give them a chance to make it right. Also, tact goes a LONG way! (you want somebody coming to yer job and screamin' atcha?) Give them a chance to rectify the problem - a lot of large dealers go through help like you go through underware, it's hard to find good help.

If things don't swing in your favor, call Toyota directly - Between my wife and I, we have owned 11 of them. They stand behind their product; and their service.

I lol'd at the thought of your dad being in the Mopar group, and you buying Toyota. Must have been for the job security?

:)

I lol'd at the thought of your dad being in the Mopar group, and you buying Toyota. Must have been for the job security?

:)

The really funny part is that my Dad bought his very first Chevy truck 4 years ago - he's always owned Fords!

I agree with Moto's advise. I too have been at Dealerships (GM mostly Chevy ) for a long time and I see most service managers doing above and beyond to make an unhappy customer happy again.
If I were you I would start with the service manager, then service director (if they have one ) then owner if needed.
I would hope that after them you would be taken care of but if not going to the area representative or to Toyota will really stir the pot!
Good luck and like Moto sez tact will go a long way-much further than screaming.My old boss would just say @& to customers like that

Dave

So three calls, two voice mail, and no return call.

Tomorrow will be the last day that I try calling the service manager.

I've seen that video many times.

Right now I'm thinking I will inform him tomorrow that it will be my last call to him, and that I will be going over his head if the issue isn't resolved.
I'm thinking I may try my luck with the General Manager of the dealership tomorrow if I can't get a hold of the manager.

Then BBB, District Manager, and Toyota Canada.

You hit it right on the money, get more with honey han viniger. but if the nice aproach dosent work sometimes you have to go the other way.

Toyota dealers (I have had 5 of them mysef) have some kind of award they can get each year, if they get one unsatasfactory report they won't get the award, I have seen them go to great lengths to get problems straightened out so they wont loose there award. If things don't go your way make sure and let them know you will write Toyota. They do stand behind their products in my experiance.

good luck

Go back and talk to them if you can straight up. We bought a Titan from Mills Nissan in Millwoods. Love the truck but that particular Nissan dealer is pathetic. We bought a undercoat job for our truck for $400. Then found out they come undercoated from the factory and we payed $400 for nothing. All we did was talk to them, don't be afraid to be mad, they would be more afraid of losing your business forever and you never coming back.

So what I would do is actually go there, talk to them, show it to them. And if they don't, phone Toyota them selves. And say I will never buy another Toyota bla bla bla.

You told me the dealership you went to, and personally I have had great luck with them, we took our old Camry there for everything. I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a bad luck.

i have had the same problem from tire shops and dealerships. i had 7 brand new firestone transforce a/t's mounted, and they charged me for balancing, new valvestems, and mounting. they didnt balance my rims, and the valvestems were cheap-o rubber ones, and i paid for s.s. ones. all i had to do was go in and raise some hell and they gave me a $150 rebate and put the new s.s. valvestems and balanced my tires.

just go in and raise some cain, and if they don't do anything, go above the dealership to the are rep.

I was talking to the service manager today, and I have an appointment for Saturday.
They are even going to remount the new tires because I lost 7lbs in them over 10 days.

I was talking to the service manager today, and I have an appointment for Saturday.
They are even going to remount the new tires because I lost 7lbs in them over 10 days.

You had said something about putting your best tires on the front in a earlier post. On front wheel drive cars your best tires with the most tread should go onto the rear of the car to keep the rearend from sliding around on wet and icy conditions.

I am going to have to disagree sorry. What I have noticed in a FWD car is it most likely over shoots the corners and doesn't slide the rear end out. At least compared to a RWD car.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a good thing I don't work for a billion dollar tire maker that says different.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/how_to/4243992.html

I am not trying to be rude man I am just saying what I think from my experience. When I drive in the winter, I feel that a FWD car has better control accretion because all the weight is above the tires that give the power. But I believe the cornering ability is not as good as a RWD car, the FWD don't fishtail, but understeer like crazy and you will find yourself going straight with the wheels turned. And also I didn't see the in your link where they said it was about FWD cars. LOL but nothing is more fun then a RWD car in the winter. As for moving the good tires to the back, I believe that it would be better for the good tires to be in the front. Because thats where all the power and weights is. If there wasn't good tires, you would understeer like crazy. And personlly I think that the opinion varies. But I think you would want to move the good tires to the rear in a RWD car because they do have a tendency to fishtail, and the extra bit of grip in the back would help keep the rear in line.

you got it moto.

stevrock, don't let them yank you around. check all of your tire pressures before you go into the shop and make sure none of the other ones are leaking. if they are, have the put the s.s. valve stems on with a good o-ring. i haven't had any problems with mine.

You had said something about putting your best tires on the front in a earlier post. On front wheel drive cars your best tires with the most tread should go onto the rear of the car to keep the rearend from sliding around on wet and icy conditions.

I read that not too long ago, and I seriously agree with it.

The other day when we got a dusting I was coming into a corner and the rear end promptly slid around, and I caught the car starting to get loose other times too (I have a Supra, I know when it's about to wiggle :)).

I am going to get them to fix the issue when I go in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Back