radio upgrage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cblock

just wondering what is a good Ghz radio upgrade for my X.
I'm just running stock radio, but i just don't get the distance id like.

is there a decent cheap ( like couple hundred ) radio out there?

stock servos will work fine. i am still using my stockers. some packages come with servos if you are looking to upgrade

cblock, based on your criteria (couple hundred bucks, decent, cheap) i don't see how you could go wrong with this
http://www.hobbyfever.com/product_info.php?products_id=7520
for $199, you get the tx & rx & the rx sells for $99.00 by itself. its digital, has a lot of program options (& not a ton that you wont use). I haven't seen this in writing, but my LHS says that the range is about 3,000 feet. Don't quote me on that though.
I just saw on Futaba's website that they have a rebate on a bunch of stuff if you purchase b4 Oct 31st & you can get $20.00 rebate on this set up http://downloads.hobbico.com/rebates/3058921-flier-fall-rebate.pdf
This is what Futaba calls the perfect radio set up for the savage http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/futz9035-manual.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
3PM Fasst is probably the best 2.4ghz radio on the market right now! get one! its got a built in fail safe and the truck will stop if the hump pack or AA's are low on voltage! same with the radio if it senses low voltage an alarm goes off telling you that its time to change the battery's!

3PM Fasst is probably the best 2.4ghz radio on the market right now! get one! its got a built in fail safe and the truck will stop if the hump pack or AA's are low on voltage! same with the radio if it senses low voltage an alarm goes off telling you that its time to change the battery's!
That's a great point because i bought a Venom (smart-temp) fail safe which performs these functions & it was $50 bucks. So take your $199.00 price for a killer radio set up, subtract the $20.00 rebate & the $50.00 that you don't have 2 pay for the fail safe & it is a crazy deal!

I am agreed with the consensus here. The Futaba 3pm FASST is an excellent entry level digital radio and more than enough for Savages. I have used one for about a year and love it. I run multiple rigs with it.

You can use the standard servos, but you will have to set the failsafe everytime unless you use digital servos. (This is not a big deal as it only involves pushing the brakes and hitting one button.)

Can't beat the sub-$200 price either.

The best part of course is the distance you can get and NEVER WORRYING ABOUT WHO'S ON WHAT FREQUENCY.

thats awesome guys.

ya I'm more of a basher anyways, so the frequencies arnt too much of a issue, but its the distance id like.
cant seem to get more the couple hundred feet with mine right now.

whipnet, what kind of distance you get with it?

whipnet, what kind of distance you get with it?

Out bashing, I've driven it till I couldn't see it.
I also drove it to the end of my street which is about 1/4 mile. Turning it around was a trick, I couldn't see what direction it was heading.. lol

I think they claim 2000ft, but I think your truck would be out of sight by then.

Always keep your hump pack (required for the Rx) and Tx batteries charged well.

thats cool.

ya i don't have a hump pack yet, prolly should be next upgrade before TX/RX anyways.

i only once had a issue with loose batteries, now i wrap some electrical tape over the stock bat pack. haven't come lose again.

the 1600 hump i bought for my sav/x is by far one of the best upgrades i've done.... next was the two servos what a difference in time responce and power to the braking. and don't forget a 3-8 dollar fuel filter saftey for your engine and well worth the cost! hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't have a hump pack yet, prolly should be next upgrade before TX/RX anyways.

Most (if not all) upgraded receivers require 6V, so you need that first anyway.

Latest posts

Members online

Back