Ptfe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double-O-Zilch

BASHMASTER
I picked up some dry lube while at Lowe's today. I was looking to get some dry graphite lube for CVDs and other items that don't like grease but couldn't find it. PTFE is pretty much teflon. My question is will it be good for the applications I chose it for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PTFE

we use a spray on graphite for our car haulers, ill let you know what its called tomorrow. I'm not sure if its so much of a dry graphite, but it works wonders on the car haulers.

Use great caution when using Graphite Spray lubes. Many of them contain acetone and / or MEK (methyl ethel ketone). These will melt plastic parts at the drop of a hat, or at least make them very brittle. You can purchase graphite in a powdered form, that is in a "squeezy, poofy bottle". It contains no "carriers" and is pure graphite.

PS: I think teflon is a great product to use. I use Tri-Flow dry lube...

dry_05.jpg

CLICK TO GO TO SITE

I used to be the onsite lockmsith at the Toyota dealership that I worked at. I've seen what graphite (lock-ease) does to those locks. Not good. It helps wear the tumblers down. I would think it would do the same to cvds. I have never used it, but I would take caution. Dry lube is good for everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use that Sullivan product that Dan linked-works great! It is kinda thin though so I put some out a in a cup overnight and it thickens really well then I dip dog bones or whatever into it.

Yeah I know all about Acetone and MEK from working on aircraft. I didn't think to look either. Thanks for the heads up guys. :duh:

MEK rocks eh Park?! You been around long enuf to remember trike? (trichlorethylene)

All of those aircraft chemicals are great... if you don't mind walkin' around twitchin all o' the time!

How about Chemex paint stripper? 3rd degree chemical burns to skin in a matter of seconds... but it will remove chrome from a bumper!

When it got to the point I couldn't smell MEK anymore I knew it was time for the proper PPE! I'm not sure if it was Chemex but I was in the paint hanger at Boeing before they switched to media blasting and something dripped on me, no crap, whithin seconds it was burning and left a white spot on my skin. It was the size of a rain drop and hurt like crazy!

Latest posts

Members online

Back