proline GMC topkick

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcnut14

I give bad advice
so, as jam brought up earlier, I forgot to post pics of my body. I tried to paint it, but the latex in the paint clogged my airbrush. so, I un clogged it. then it did it again what am I doing wrong? I'm using standard paint thinner. u can see the pattern it made when it clogged. IMG_1689.JPG IMG_1686.JPG

what brand paint r u using ? most RC paints are either water based or some kind of acrylic , I still use the old pactra lacquers on all my paint jobs, I think the colors are bettter and they adhere to the lexan better....

the black is duratrax rc car paint. it tells me to thin with duratrax pc68 thinner. is that any different then normal thinner?

Got me, most rc paints either require their thinner or an equilivant, I use lacquers and thin with good lacquer thinner, I tried the water based paints (parma fascolor) and did not like them much.... once my supply of paint is gone I will find another supplier for my paints, creatix or spaztics maybe....
maybe you outta take your paint to the hardware store and see if they can recommend what thinner to use, or get the one duratrax recommends to get...

Oh BTW Lacquer thinner and paint thinner are different, so maybe the duratrax is lacquer based, read the directions again and check

well, I also got silver, wich is liquor. can I use the thinner I use for enamel with that?

NO !!!! do not use enamel thinner on lacquer paints !!!!, they will make a giant mess and prolly ruin your shell.... any hardware store sells lacquer thinner, if you are going to use it you will need a respirator caz it can hurt your lungs badly.... I think you outta try the Parma Fascolors, they are safe and will be easier to paint with.....

I just checked out duratrax paints on their site and I am suspecting that they are still using a lacquer based paint... they don't say that but if ya just get a small container of lacquer thinner and try mixing the paint with a small amount of lacquer thinner it may work better.... try on a scrap of lexan and see how that works....

Any lacquer thinner will work don't matter the brand or anything....and if ya thin the paint use a little at a time to achive the spray consistancy you want.. you want the paint to flow out of the airbrush without running (too thin) or webbing (too thick)..... it takes some experimentation to get it right.....

just called my LHS and they said it was a laqur,{ he had to smell it, though} so I guess i'll get another bottle and some thinner

ya if I coulda smelled it I can tell in a second if is lacquer paint...
I been using testors so long I am hesitant to switch but maybe I will check out duratrax paint next time I am at the hobby shop... Good to know i have an alternative available still. lacquer paint sticks so much better than any of the water paints.....

I am also afraid to say that any of that paint you put on the body is going to have to stay caz removal will not work well.... I doubt if you can even get it off... also make sure to clean your airbrush out first using lacquer thinner, using enamel thinner will not clean it and make a mess.... I clean all my paint stuff after painting using a jar half full of lacquer thinner and soak all the parts and use a brush to clean out all inside parts well... it may take time but your brush will thank you with good operation for years and years

Well Good Luck with it. I hope it turns out GREAT for ya... painting is alot of fun once ya learn the basics anything is possible, half the battle is a good mask job to be honest.....

"spray paint lines" ?? are you referring to a fade from one color to another ? if so it is pretty easy to do, this one goes from black to purple

this one is from red to purple, funny tho I used no purple paint at all. I based all the purple with a blue candy and sprayed the red over it. turned out kinda cool....

Painting fades is always a change up and fun to do.....

Nicely done nut. If you haven't seen a GMC Topkick in person then you need to. These things are a BEAST of a "truck". A commercial truck with a standard truck bed and interior. Pretty dang sweet trucks.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back