Project SledgeHammer SCX10

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampDawg

After a recent trade went sideways ive decided to take the Axial SCX10 axles and make something completely custom from that and a few links.
So far this project has come a long ways in the making.....

Axial parts used:

Axles F&R
Upper & lower links (F&R)
Axial SCX10 transmission & driveaxles
Stock tires & wheels

Custom & Misc parts:

Cladboard TVP chassis
x4 TRX shocks (Long)
x4 Losi 2.5 rate springs
Drive 14T ESC
Servo: Metal gear HiTec Hs645
HPI RX & TX
Body Side mounts x4
Motor: Using the Kyosho MagMayhem for now but will be getting a lower Tq type.

In the process i managed to snap a outboard yoke out of the Transmission so now ill have to get that and install. Other then that....i have a sweet crawler now with insane articulation, unlike what it was NIB stock form.

Ill have to grab my folks digi-cam tonight and snap some pics (Coming soon)

lookin forward to the pics. don't know any about this truck but looks like its gonna rock.

Let's see some pics! I'm workin' on my Losi Mini Crawler at the moment. Gonna go with the GC3 chassis and vendetta shocks. Suppossed to be THE setup to use for the MRC. They're waiting for me at the LHS but I gotta wait until things settle down at home before I spend any money on RC. My future's looking a little uncertain right now. Can't wait to see your build!

heres the shots so far....lots to do yet!!
and I'm doin this all for my 4 year old son, hes gonna freak when he sees this rig.

thanks guys....means i should carry on with this project. lol
anyhow, i still have the upper roof area to do which will act as a roll cage protecting the Rx & ESC in a rollover. Ill be using the original radiotray from the SCX10 in behind the roof/rollcage. In this crawler room is lacking so i wont be able to use a standard 7.2v callpack. So il be investing in a lithium ion or polymer pack to power this rig up. There are still some areas i need to make custom links to tie the chassis together but i ran out of 3mm rod from the Clodcrawler you can see in the image below (which is the project right after Sledgehammer SCX10. I have so many things on the go i cant even keep up with em anymore. Next in line after this is Project StreetCuda which is like pulling a car from the junkyard at this point. lol

made little progress today due to getting my Skyline ready for the races on May 16th, but what i did get done were the A-pillars made up using the cladboard. As you can see i have where the radiotray will be mounted to soon using a ketsup packet. lmao....just to give you an idea!
also noticed shocks were tilted, so i had to pop them off and rebuild them and whilst i was at it i topped em up with 20w oil.

next step is visiting my local hobby and getting a new axle half set (hacked off the supports for the servo on the last SCX10 setup) but I'm keeping the oil filled shock as the bumpsteer cuz it works and....it looks sweet! ahah!
Aswel as buying a new output yoke from the transmission, and doing a price check on a lithium battery and charger for this thing. Damn...my 4yr old is gonna love his new RC.

Managed to get more done today.

Top deck for ESC/Radio tray
Mounted ESC
Mounted Radiotray
Mounted Kyosho Mag Mayhem w/9T pinion

still need to get things as mentioned along with 3mm threadrod and alloy tube to complete the chassis.

Got working a bit more on Project Sledgehammer SCX10 and found that the steering set up previous was less then Par. Completely tore it apart and started over still keeping the oil shock as my bumpsteer because there is no room for a servo saver on this thing. lol.
Also did some of the electronics along with placement of some things such as the on/off switch antenae, etc....

See nobody cares for this build?

Lookin' good man, don't think there are too many others into crawlers around here. I know there is at least one other guy into them, who posted in one of my threads before.

thanks!

pulled the Trans out to figure out which part broke so ill need that and a few things then its go time!

Lith Ion Battery & Charger
Crawler motor to replace Kyosho MagMayhem (too much top end Tq)

then later id like to replace the shocks back to stockers as they seem to give more articulation on this set-up.

So close now, then my son can use it this summer!! sweet!!:sport-smiley-020:

now I'm having a problem with the rear diff?
ive taken it apart like 4 times now each time regresing it but it makes so much noise. Almost like its running without grease or the gears are binding?
ive even taken an electric drill to the rear drive and let it go for 15 minutes and damn that thing got pretty hot! although spinning the tires everything seems to roll smoothly?

That sucks. I'm only familiar with the MRC and I have not seen an issue like that. Have you asked about that on any of the crawler forums?

ho damnnn.....lol
i looked at it when i got back in after dropping the kids off, meaning pulling it apart for like the 5th time now. And i cleaned it up once again real good and tried using Motormaster Synthetic EXTREME pressure grease instead of what i usually use being Pennzoil ULTRA lithium grease and the problem went away. So basically it was all to due with what grease i was using on the geartrain in the diffs. OwcH! thank gawd my diff never detonated on me when i was using the drill on it earlier on. hahah!!

learn something new every day. :hammerpoke:

Latest posts

Members online

Back