priming the engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedster

OK guy's this is gonna sound like a stupid question, and your gonna think that i'm a saucy nub muffet. But i was just reading a reply to a thread on this site and some one said that some people don't prime their engine properly etc i don't know. But i was just wondering how to properly prime my engine. I have the 4.1 and use a roto start. I noticed that i actually do have a lot of trouble on my cold starts so and help is appreciated.

I'm pretty new myself so maybe I'm wrong but someone will post if I am. I have been running and starting mine in 50 degree to 70 degree weather. I also have the 4.1 I prime mine by just running the roto start with NO GLOW IGNIGTOR a few turns until I see the fuel get to the carb. Then stick in your ignigtor in and try to start it. Seems to work for me. Plus if I am doing it wrong I would like to know the right way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally, the easiest way I use is just to leave the glow ignitor off, run the roto (or pull for that matter) while plugging the exhaust pipe so all the pressure goes to the fuel tank. Once you see the fuel get to the carb, stop and put your glow ignitor on. Then fire it up and bash something!

I'm not sure that this is the right way or not but i pull the line off the exhaust and blow through it untill i see the fule get to the carb then i put in back on and put the igniter on and give it a couple pulls and it fires right up

i've done the finger plugging and blowing down the line, and i find the blowing down the exhaust line the best way (especially now with the sc having a t-piece from the exhaust, so the exhaust pressure when turning over mainly goes into the supercharger)

I've done both as well...they both work well. I just like to plug it so I don't have to pull the line and put it back on, etc (the easier the better...lol). But they both do work well.

blowing down the line is better for the engine.

if you ran the engine dry on your last time out, then turn it over with your finger on the exhaust to prime, you are running the engine un-lubricated. blowing the fuel line is easy and more predictable

yeah i was thinking of getting one of those primer bulb pump thing's like the one that is on the MGT but i just discovered blowing down the line and it works so that saves me an extra 5 bucks. Thanks guy's.

I'm not sure that this is the right way or not but i pull the line off the exhaust and blow through it untill i see the fule get to the carb then i put in back on and put the igniter on and give it a couple pulls and it fires right up

X25, I'm with you. I go with the blowing of the exhaust hose route. I was first following the manual in which it tells you to cover the exhaust and give the motor a few spins until there are no more air bubbles in the line. But I have found that by blowing into the exhaust line, it is much quicker and easier. No more cold starting problems

whatch out for the nasty effects of nitro mouth. you will not like it, last weekend we were bashing up four trucks in the back forty and I was working in the pit starting them. I use the blow into the air line trick, its the fastest most effective way to start them but, after four or five hours I think it added up I had the worst case of heart burn,
maybe it was the beer. o well, keep on keepn on.

Probably the beer...just have a few more next time and you won't feel the heartburn. Or at least, that's how I do it...lol.

yeah don't read the bottle lol, it'll just make you not wanna put that hose in your mouth. say's stuff about it causing cancer, blindness, and other stuff that wouldn't be good. i try to wipe my lips off and spit a bight becasue i don't wanna die. ahah

Dude, Try like squeezing a empty and clean white glue bottle or something simillar, into the backpresure tube of the pipe, Not of your mouth. It can give you plenty of presure to get the fuel to the carb and then some. The toxic warnning is no joke.

yeah, your proubly right. i was thinking i might get one of those primer bulb pumps like the one that comes on the monster GT's. only $7 could save my life one day.

i was wondering if you could buy a primer cause i have the RTR Savy 25 and it doesnt have one. i wasnt sure if you could buy one for its tank i know the 21 had it

yeah, i haven't recieved mine yet, but my friend has a Monster GT with one on it, and it is really nice not to have to crank the roto start or blow down the line, don't think that's too good for you.

yea i hate blowing down the line i had to do it today. but i do it real quick then i go to start it and it starts right up with just a tap of the roto start button.

There's also fuel filters that are manufactured with a bulb built right in the filter housing.

I just bought one of the fuel filters with the priming bulb on it, works really good

Last edited by a moderator:
we should probably take more notice of the warnings on the fuel bottles. gzus practically drinks the stuff, and ive managed to get it in my eyes before (that hurts so bad).

Personally, I don't see a problem with just using your roto starter / pull start with your finger over the exhaust. The fuel only takes a split second to reach the carb, and if you did your after run properly then there should be plenty of lube to protect the piston.

well what if you have a pull start, i think it's just easier to get the primer bulb, that's what i did.

forget blocking the pipe and then pulling the pull start or running to roto start. the easiest way you will ever prime an engine will take half that time.

all you need to do is remove the fuel line from the pipe and imply blow. you will see the fuel travel all the way through to the engine carb.

Hows that for a good/easy/quick tip.

primer bulb is faster and you don't have to put your mouth on a tube that had toxic fuel fumes running through it.

i just put finger over the exhaust crank with the roto start till it slows just a little finger off and it starts instantly. cant see through the stock fuel line.

Give this 2 squeezes and your in business......
8fydqvt.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Back