Please help need info on savage xl

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many people have wasted hours of their lives on Octanes. I AM ONE OF THEM.
Did you purchase a new or used truck? If new and you can I would suggest you return it.

If used it will be very difficult and expensive to find engine parts. Many people and I AM ONE OF THEM got a used Octane with a blown engine or the engines failed on the test run by the person who sold it and told you it was fine. It happens the first time the engine is started. There is supposed to be a version 2 of the Octane coming out with the issues fixed.
IMG_6071.jpg

The engines fail by throwing the piston pin clips and breaking the piston ring. Once this happens the engine has no compression and will do nothing. There is a section of this site for Octanes. Go there and do some reading.

https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/hpi-savage-octane/

How did you test for spark. Did you ground the plug to the head? It will be a very weak spark as the engine pull starter is pulled. You have to be in a shaded area to see it. Have you checked your spark plug gap?

When right it will start easily. Just like in the video posted above.

Last edited:
I am learning about this Octane today.
I learned I will never buy one.when i make the dive to gasser, it will be 1/5 scale WITH a REAL gasser and not some converted POS

reminds me of a day when GM got the brainiac idea to Convert an Oldsmobile 350 gas block to a 6.2liter diesel engine. they were junk right from the get go and Never did turn out to be anything but crap.
why HPI didnt just Create a truck with an actual gas motor is beyond me, rather than a converted nitro block

HPI has issues right now and they better get their collective heads out their rectal muscles and at least start producing parts again for the models they have out there. getting parts fo the newly released FluxXL is going to be a bear!

I have run at least 4 gallons threw the Octane. It took a lot of work and learning. The engine is bad but when it works it is a hoot. I still have mine and it works but their are no parts to keep it going so I am waiting for the V2 to come out.

reminds me of a day when GM got the brainiac idea to Convert an Oldsmobile 350 gas block to a 6.2liter diesel engine. they were junk right from the get go and Never did turn out to be anything but crap. why HPI didnt just Create a truck with an actual gas motor is beyond me, rather than a converted nitro block

There's always the Baja line. ;) Honestly, I'm pretty sure they went the way they did because making a gas engine fit in the TVPs would be tough. Would likely need to widen them and make some pretty creative bracing.

There are 4 fatal flaws in an Octane. The Radio wont work well with the ignition. The ignition modules were poorly made and fail. The carb is too big for the engine and relies on cheap plastic restrictor plates to cut down airflow but this makes tuning the air fuel mixture tricky. The piston pin retaining clips fail and eat the piston rings.

I read some more info and I by passed the off switch and I got spark put plug back in and it fired first pull so i just ran it in and then tore up some dirt fun haha....looks like the on /off switch was dodgey surprising it's a new truck but Ye thanks all for the help appreciate it

Get 1600 mah batteries and a good charger. Use the 1600 mah battery for the ignition.The wall charger is junk. Make sure you have the batteries hooked up right. Once you have it started only use quarter throttle for the first few tanks like one through five. Then proceed with half throttle to Full Throttle change it up. Do not change the carburetor settings. I own an octane just like you any questions message me I will check back in a couple of days

Latest posts

Members online

Back