Please help need info on savage xl

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aus chriso

hi all I'm new to rc and I just brought a brand new savage xl and out of the box using wall charger I've plugged it in to one batterie as manual says I've left it on charge for 6 hours and when I turn on reciever and truck I try to turn the steering and there is nothing......do I need to charge both batteries in the truck or.... or does the steering kick in once truck is started ect lol ps newbie thanks chris

As long as you have the pack plugged into the receiver, with sufficient charge and turn on the power switch, you should have power to the servos. Are you turning on the remote as well?

As long as you have the pack plugged into the receiver, with sufficient charge and turn on the power switch, you should have power to the servos. Are you turning on the remote as well?
Yes I'm turning on the remote then both other switches to on and I have nothing No steering from the remote like it don't move the front wheels at all I charged one batterie for 6 hours now I put wall charger on the other batterie we'll see if that works I guess but if u hafe to charge each batterie for six hours off one single wall charger dam that would suck right ...

Yes I'm turning on the remote then both other switches to on and I have nothing No steering from the remote like it don't move the front wheels at all I charged one batterie for 6 hours now I put wall charger on the other batterie we'll see if that works I guess but if u hafe to charge each batterie for six hours off one single wall charger dam that would suck right ...
Also I haven't had a chance to start it yet as it's night time and I only got it deliverd today it's been on charge since I got it but as I mentioned above I just swapped the wall charger to the other batterie in the truck

There should be only one battery on the truck. For the receiver/ servos. Are the lights coming on on the receiver? Lights on the remote? If you can post pictures of what you are working with it would help.

Ah....you have an Octane. That is a different beast than the Savage XL.

I could be wrong on this, but these are the battery leads right?

upload_2017-2-9_9-23-54.png

One side goes to the switch, the other to the battery? Those need to be connected to power the receiver.

Then this switch turns on the receiver.
upload_2017-2-9_9-24-47.png

I'm guessing you are charging that battery currently?

yea I charged the other one for 6 hours now doing the other one and yea on the first battery it has 2 leads 1 from the battery and other to black box with orange button guessing that's the ignition switch then other battery currently charging has a cable from the battery and the other goes to that white switch u pictured

Yup, that's why you got no receiver/ steering action. You charged and hooked up the ignition battery. :D

Also, might I suggest purchasing a better charger? The one that comes stock takes forever and doesn't allow charging of other battery types. Truly, anything would be better. You could easily charge your stock batteries in about an hour with a better charger.

so doesn't the ignition battery need to be charged ?

Yes, but only when you drive the truck. If you are simply looking to test that the receiver/ servos are functioning then all you need is the other battery.

AGGH ok so they sting ya $1040 for the truck and u hafe to do 12 hours total in charging to drive it for 60 mins hahaha sounds fair.....definitely hafe to get a better charger quick sticks

And I would suggest reading the manual that came with the truck a few times also. everything you need to know is inside there.....

Fully charged both batteries and I turn on the remote then the ignition switch to on then the receiver to on and nothing no movement on the front wheels when turned on the remote gee what a headache from a brand new truck and I haven't even tried to start it yet

Are the receiver and remote lights on? Wonder if you need to bind the remote to the receiver.

Yea remote light is on the led on reciever is blinking red I went through the binding stage still bloody nothing weird as for a new truck

Well would u believe are almost a allnighter playing with this beast yea mate u were right I did the binding again and bullseye the servos are working phew thanks god now to try start the pig up thanks so much guys great support glad to be here but for now.....IMA GO RIP UP SOME TURF

Nope carnt get the beast to start shitty batt packs I guess and poop wall charger after 8 hours on charge on each it still won't start little movement on the front wheels when turning on ground lifting the truck it full locks.....maybe not enough charge on the batts you think ? Called hobby shop definitely hafe to buy better batt packs and a batt meter I guess any suggestions on what update packs to get and meter ect

In most cases, stock servos won't move the wheels much when they are on the ground and the truck is stationary. They do ok when it's rolling though.

Not sure what charger/battery packs you have, if it's what HPI lists on their site, the charger puts out 330ma and the packs are either 1200mah 2/3A or 3000mah sub-c packs. Simple math says 3.6 hours for 1200mah and 9 hours for the 3000mah packs. 8 hours on each should have the 1200mah fully charged and then some or the 3000mah packs near full charge.

Last edited:
I've been trying to start it for the last 4 hours and not even a want to start so I decided to take the plug out and see if there was spark and I have none which is weird this is a brand new truck never been started before any ideas why there is no spark on a new truck I've made sure wires are plugged in ect ect ect I have no idea

Latest posts

Members online

Back