Other than Mid-tank can 1/2 tank lean be fixed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesmilingpirate

Hey guys, I was wondering if there was any other solution besides the mid tank mod that would solve the 1/2 tank lean issue. Maybe another tank in the stock location? (Cen, Hellfire)

look up the "ofna tank mod" new era models has a tank and bracket setup which is installed in the stock location which i've heard helps alot!! i have this setup and love it!! but not because of the half tank lean issue, i just think its a better made tank but a bit smaller "125cc as opposed to stock 160cc" the new era model setup came with brass nipples to install in the tank as well and the tank is "channeled" to direct fuel properly!! and the stone filter is a very nice touch as well!! hope this helps!! just be sure to buy the side mounted tank setup not the one that installs on the rear of the truck if you go with new era models as I'm sure the rear tank would get smashed first landing on the back

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Nitroaddict for the quick response and the great suggestions. I found this link. Let me know what you think of this. I also found this tank. Can I use this one?

heres the one i have and as i said you don't have to mod it at all its a direct bolt onhttp://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi?part_id=1704

p.s... the first link you posted is the exact same tank but before new era models started making the bracket for it so the person mounted it there own way but now it comes with the mounting bracket!!

I run the same set up for now , no problems.
100_0225.jpg

SL.

Anyone have the dimensions of that tank? I may experiment with that tank up front instead of my mugen tank.

Thanks to both nitroaddict and SL63, I got the answers I was looking for. Rep points to both!:beer:

p.s. Nitroaddict: I just ordered that tank from New Era Models. Hope to get it this week and get it on the truck. Thanks again!

SL63: I was looking at the pictures again and couldn't help but notice how clean your truck is. It resembles mine. How do you keep it so clean? Or are you like me and enjoy wrenchin' with the occasional drive?
PICT0086.JPG

Thanks to everyone who helped me out in the this thread. The mod is completed and is coming off the bench today to run. For those who are interested in this mod and are not quite ready to make the move to the mid-tank mod here's some pics for you to reference.

Parts
PICT0210.JPG

Stock tank before mod
PICT0206.JPG

Stock tank removed
PICT0209.JPG

New tank bracket installed in stock location using stock holes
PICT0211.JPG

Different angle
PICT0212.JPG

Support spacers added
PICT0215.JPG

Brass nipples added to new fuel tank
PICT0214.JPG

New tank mounted in stock location
PICT0216.JPG

Attached new fuel line
PICT0217.JPG

Another angle of finished mod
PICT0219.JPG

Total mod time: 30 minutes

I just finished my tank mod, i used a Tamiya Nitrage fuel tank, 2 aluminium post n 2 self made aluminium bracket

Thanks guys! HPISF deserves a lot of credit for the great info.

I'm glad i could help you a bit!! i don't usually post unless I'm sure i know what I'm talking about lmao and i have the new era setup myself and really like it and obviously new era treated you well, as i expected so thanks for the nice clear pics... " it helps to show just how easy this tank installation really is and how nice the tank is" So thanks again!!!

P.S..... what were your thoughts on the tank when you got it eatvage? i think its a better designed tank then stock myself although smaller!!

I did the OFNA tank also. I modified my stock mounts and the tank mounts. I used it for a short time. The 125cc volume was more annoying (to me) than the 1/2 tank lean issue.

The New Era kit is clean...., but I'm cheap...

162003.jpg

162004.jpg

Thanks to everyone who helped me out in the this thread. The mod is completed and is coming off the bench today to run. For those who are interested in this mod and are not quite ready to make the move to the mid-tank mod here's some pics for you to reference.

Parts
PICT0210.JPG

Stock tank before mod
PICT0206.JPG

Stock tank removed
PICT0209.JPG

New tank bracket installed in stock location using stock holes
PICT0211.JPG

Different angle
PICT0212.JPG

Support spacers added
PICT0215.JPG

Brass nipples added to new fuel tank
PICT0214.JPG

New tank mounted in stock location
PICT0216.JPG

Attached new fuel line
PICT0217.JPG

Another angle of finished mod
PICT0219.JPG

Total mod time: 30 minutes

eat, great post & glad to hear ya got rid of that frustrating 1/2 tank lean problem. Your mod & post is very easy for new-comers to follow and they don't have to drop a ton of cash to do it...+ rep bro.

A little elaboration on niterida's post. You can use the stock mounts. Just flip the back one around and shim it out from the chassis with washers or some ball end swivels. You will also need to drill the mounting holes out a bit to slide on the stock posts. Samrsnow's truck
IM000303.jpg

Thank you very kindly for the pics. I am ordering mine today! How the heck do you keep your truck so clean??

i believe i heard that adding an extra 3-4 inches of fuel tubing in a loop can solve the half tank lean issue...is this correct????

i believe i heard that adding an extra 3-4 inches of fuel tubing in a loop can solve the half tank lean issue...is this correct????

I was going to add this. I extended my fuel lines from the tank to the carb and it got rid of my problem. I have an old thread on this on some forum. It seemed to work for about 50% of the people.

It might not work, but it's only a few cents and seconds to try.

I was going to add this. I extended my fuel lines from the tank to the carb and it got rid of my problem. I have an old thread on this on some forum. It seemed to work for about 50% of the people.

It might not work, but it's only a few cents and seconds to try.

Cool, taking a trip to the LHS later...ill pick up some fuel tubing and try it out, thanks man!!!

I just installed the new era tank/kit and noticed that the throttle linkage brushes up against the tank. Anyone else have that issue?

i keep the cleanest truck...LOL....

Latest posts

Members online

Back