OS 30VG Break-In Ploblem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ocremy

i installed my new os engine weeks ago, finally.... my first monster truck break-in, its harder than i thought. i can't tune it right.... i read manual and started with default setting, checked carb opening and break point and more... (i did 2 break-ins on on-road cars. i had no problems) ok.. here i go..

1. Its Very hard to start the eninge (i can't figure it out its too lean or rich)

2. i can't make my engine run properly.. it stalls if i give a little gas (with Glow Starter plugged)

3. once, it reached 205 i drove around 3 mins (heat cycle) turned off i waited until engine got cool, and if i try to start the engine again.. it goes to #2 prob again.

i used 2 tanks of nitro fuel 20%(traxxas) and gave up..(actually i had to leave. i live in Los Angeles @ Cali, i went to some local high school soccer field @ 7am.. soccer players asked me to leave after one hour... ha... if my savy was running properly, i could've break one of their leg.....ooops. --;;
anywayz, i need some serious detail help here...
Thanks mill,
Orange County remy

Try using 30% and heat up the heat sink with a hair dryer to 180 -200 degrees.

don't forget about BDC on the cool down.

When its running, do the pinch test.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow... that was thunder speed reply.. doobeewha..(always) thanks again!
two questions on your reply,
should i go 30% all the way? or just for the break-in.
what is BDC? (pistol(?) sitting @ the bottom?)
what is pinch test?
i've been always RTR and break and buy guy(lazy).....
thanks for the help,
once again, great site and great MEMBERS!!

BDC is the piston at Bottom Dead Center.

30% nitro fuel will actually allow you to make the same power as a low % fuel and run cooler. Also the 30% requires less O2 to ignite so it will make break in easier with the rich needle settings.

The pinch test, I think, is to pinch the fuel line closed and count how long the engine takes to die. Most people feel there is a magic number of time when doing this, BUT how far from the carb you pinch the line will determine how much fuel is left for the engine to run on.

taking time with break-in won't cause any problem with the engine?
i had like 5th tank with break-in (in 3 weeks) i can't tune it right... its extremly hard to bring the temp above 200, it only stays 170~180,
and one more thing that i get worried about is the speed.. it just won't speed up enough.... (i thought this engine was one of the powerful/fast engine)
when i reached temp between 170~180, HSN was only 1 and 1/2 (maybe 1 and 3/4) turn from completely closed postion..... carb is 5mm open...
this break-in is pain in the a$$.... please help..
thank you!!

oh! one more thing is, do i have a clutch or gearing issue? i got stock savage 25 gearing, is OS 30 VG engine requires to change/upgrade the gearing for better performance?
Thanks again!

-

First off... Thanks DS for being helpful with my comments.

Ocremy: DS was correct in his definitions to the remarks I made...
I would like to add that when doing the the pinch test, the idea behind the test is to determin weather or not your mill is tuned too
lean or too rich at the lsn.

Based on our understanding of what the engine does when it leans out, we can assume that the rpm's wiil rise and sound abit pingie.

So... When doing the the pinch test,... Pinch the fuel line completely to stop fuel flow while it's idolling.
Your going to be listenning for the motor to rize in rpm's for 3 -5 seconds before it dies out. If it does this... Then you know that the lsn
is in a safe range of opperation.

If the rpm's stay at the same rpm's and then dies when the fuel line is pinched, then that indicates that the lsn is too lean. you will need
to rich'in the lsn in that sinario.

Do you see the logic to my point here?

For an OS... Safe yet effective opperating temps are inbetween 215 - 250 degrees. Shoot for 225 as a target temp when tuning your mill.
You might find that that range of temp is slightly different than other opinions and I may be off the mark abit, but I feel better playing it
safe for now and feel it won't harm your mill.

This will require you to lean up abit to get the temps up since your running too cool right now.
After you've tweaked the hsn to get your temps in the desired range,...
Now do the pinch test to get the lsn squared away.

While making 1/8 turns as you lean the engine,.. take note of what your hearing... this is good ear trainning for you tuning knowledge.

You will notice a big increase in power as you tune the mill to the peffered temp range.

Since your still new at this... I reccommend that you follow this link's break-in method for the first time break-in. It's indorsed by Rick Brake
and is a very easy to follow procedure.

REMEMBER... 225 is the sweet spot temp zone, bro. And... always place the piston at BDC at every cool down. Wait for the mill to cool down
completely before restarting.

This link should fill in the rest of the details.
And good luck, Ocremy.
http://www.rbmods.net/enginetempering.php

-

oh! one more thing is, do i have a clutch or gearing issue? i got stock savage 25 gearing, is OS 30 VG engine requires to change/upgrade the gearing for better performance?
Thanks again!
Well...
Thats the question that we all have to face with are VISA Cards, when we buy a bigger mill.lol.
The tranny should be alright and if your CB is propperly aligned and meshed,
you'll be ok there...
But the outdrives cups, drive shafts, diffs, dog bones, ect, can be stress quite abit depending on how your bash or race the truck.

I would keep an open mind on the idea that you will be seeing a need for drivetrain upgrades, eventually.
Although, the ixisting drivetrain can hold it's own in alot of cases.

Great help there Doobeewha! all new mills are a little tricky to start.

The four that I have broken in all were different in there own little ways I remember my .25 was WHAM!......................done but the dynamites were a little more invovled or tunning issues. In other words Dynamites can be hard to open up and get tuned.

The O.S. should be by all accounts be easy and very friendly. I have one haven't broke it in yet ...........Have you sealed the motor up? you should have sealed it before the break in. this is using COPPER RTV gasket maker from your local auto shop or WAL-MART. maybe. seal the back plate and carb. pluse the needles should be greased up and well basically a visual inspection of your mill should have been performed before your inital start up.

Thanks Doobeewa, now i know lil bit more about tuning, thanks to you! i will try it with your guideline on this weekend!!

Great help there Doobeewha! all new mills are a little tricky to start.

The four that I have broken in all were different in there own little ways I remember my .25 was WHAM!......................done but the dynamites were a little more invovled or tunning issues. In other words Dynamites can be hard to open up and get tuned.

The O.S. should be by all accounts be easy and very friendly. I have one haven't broke it in yet ...........Have you sealed the motor up? you should have sealed it before the break in. this is using COPPER RTV gasket maker from your local auto shop or WAL-MART. maybe. seal the back plate and carb. pluse the needles should be greased up and well basically a visual inspection of your mill should have been performed before your inital start up.

What is sealing? seal? i don't understand, its already closed tight.. what do you mean seal? you are making me nervous....

no no don't be! look its just that somtimes things happen later when your motor is broke in.Air leaks to be specific vaccumm leaks. so sealing the mounting sefaces with just a tid bit of this RTV sealer it gives you protection, that wouln'tdove been there. Its OK that you didnt do it before. I have gotten down doing this EVERY motor. Just have fun and don't push it yet. Learn the motors sounds. You will know when it sounds as good as it runs. NO hickups just straight foward GAIN you'll know then sorry it might not make sence but go with your gutt. Chuck E.

Thanks Doobeewa, now i know lil bit more about tuning, thanks to you! i will try it with your guideline on this weekend!!
Not a Prob, Ocremy.
Savagecre has a point...
It sounds like your already ruuning your mill, but sealing the engine is an important procedure that will be a factor at keeping your mill running it's best.

A sealing tutorial is located on a treadof mine. In that,... It has alot of newbie stuff that you'lll be able to jump into.
Here it is:

https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3008

Gosh.. you guys are pros..i got every single informations that i needed from you guys, how can i describe my appreciation....
one more thing that i didn't describe was, even though my temp is 170~180, my savage tries to engage..(run away from me...) i miss my hpi .25 engine...-.-;; thanks for the updates!!!!!!!! ... again..

Hey Ocremy Funny Pic In Your Album With The Dog In It! My Wife Saw It And Said don't U Even Dare Think About It! Lmao

Latest posts

Members online

Back