Octane gas to electric

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty Nail

I recently picked up an Octane with a jacked up motor. I've been using parts from the truck as needed for the one that runs but I was wondering how hard it would be to convert the one that doesn't run into something like a flux? Any ideas?

Hello, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I bought a Savage Octane close to the release date in my country and tried for ages with the help of the HPI distributor to make it work to no avail.

Anyways the situation is i have a broken Savage Octane (I am not sure what is really broken, it might be the engine, the CDI or anything- The distributor has no clue!) and I really need some sort of guide to convert it to electric.
When you suggest this:
single speed tranny, new spur/pinion, motor mount, battery mount, and find a place to put the esc

Do you have any part numbers in mind? When I look on google no one did that conversion.

Thanks for your help!

Hey rcnut14 did you do the conversion? Because I previously emailed Dan from Kershaw Designs and I was told that the motor mount you linked is not compatible with the Octane. :dead:

As far as I have seen nobody has yet converted an Octane to an electric, and I am sure Dan at Kershaw knows a bit about what fits what....

No, i have not.

My guess would be that is not compatible with the octane because of the motor mount.

This should be what you need
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Savage-XL-E...943569?hash=item5b0de21251:g:uO4AAOSwa39UuXiC

This has the nitro mounting holes which would be compatible with the kershaw kit....from what ive seen that plate should work with your truck

Sorry to be a buzz kill, but I have to wonder why Dan at Kershaw does not know about this but rcnut14 seems to know somehow it will work... possibly with a bunch of mods it will, I have not looked closely at the Octane in person as yet.... But I am gonna defer to Dan first on this one.......

I just sent Dan at Kershaw an e mail checking on this I will post his reply when I get it......

Just got a reply and here is what Dan says....

I can't be absolutely sure since I have not had a close look at the Octane's chassis layout, but I believe that the tranny in the octane has an input shaft and spur position that is entirely different than the Savage XL's. I would think this also means that the engine mount for a larger gas engine is entirely different in the octane than the XL and, thus, the Kershaw Designs engine mount will not mount up to the octane's chassis, even with the XL's mounting plate.

However the true details could be found by comparing pictures of the 2 trucks engine mounting plates.

Last edited:
Yeah, the octane trans is built with the spur off center quite a bit to the right whereas all other nitro savage's have it to the left:
111295_111295_06_800_600.jpg

It being on the right kind of cancels using the trans at all, not sure if any of the trans bolt holes even line up to use an alternate trans...

By the look of it there appear to be alot of differences between the nitro and gas versions..... may as well just do up an XL and call it good if ya ask me.....

Hey guys, just wanted to update.
I bypassed the local dealer/distributor & contacted HPI headquarters, they asked me to ship the truck to them. Apparently, they discovered that the truck had a manufacturing problem that they fixed and now the Octane is back from the dead.

I had a test drive yesterday and it is an amazing (super loud) beast.

Thanks a lot for your ideas and support.

The new savage flux xl uses the same center transmission not sure about the gear ratio but the motor plate and motor mounts will fit straight in then its just battery boxs to the chassis might have to drill some holes for them but should be easy to do

The octane has a 3speed so youll need the all the internals from a new flux xl transmission ....the transmission cases are the same.

Based on the conversion of LeroyX described here: https://www.hpisavageforum.com/threads/nitro-xl-goin-brushless.18191/post-206160
You can see that a lot of parts used by the Octane are used for the Flux XL.

I didn't do the conversion yet, I'm waiting for parts to get back in stock.
Whenever I do the conversion I'll make sure to take pictures and gather all the info.

I also downloaded both Octane and Flux xl manuals and did a comparison of all the parts that are available in the flux xl and are not available in the Octane. I removed all parts like wheels & body and parts that are secondary.

The list is below & they relatively map to what LeroyX said.
However I'm not 100% sure about if the flux and octane TVP's are the same because the numbers do not match. (Not added to the list)
Z793
Z901
Z903
Z904
Z905

Last edited:
Hi. I already converted an octane roller to electric. Octane tvps are the same length as ultimate XL flux tvps (for newest type of gear box) but are not the same parts. You will have to drill holes for the battery boxes.
I placed the battery boxes closer to the rear to wheely easier.
After I went back to standard size tvps because I did not find any improvement in XL size vs HP size.
In the attached pics you may be able to see where i drilled the holes for battery cases.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190727-180900~2.png
    Screenshot_20190727-180900~2.png
    275.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20190727-181002~2.png
    Screenshot_20190727-181002~2.png
    281.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20190727-181133~2.png
    Screenshot_20190727-181133~2.png
    445.8 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Members online