No power to my rear wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triniheli

Hi again guys,

Was driving my savage Xss 4.6 over the weekend tuning my new integy suspension setup. Suddenly I noticed a decrease in power. Upon checking things out, I realized that I had no power going to the rear wheels, power was going only to the front wheels. I could turn the rear wheels freely while the front wheels are on the ground stationary.

Drive shafts were in, I wasn't bashing around, just driving on the street.

So I picked up the truck and spun both rear wheels in the same direction and I was able to hold the rear drive shaft while doing this. I don't think that should be. Again the front wheels did not move while doing this.

What do you guys think the damage is? Gearbox or rear diff? Don't think it could be the clutch though. Truck has just about 1.5 gallons through it and I don't bash at all so the clutch should be ok.

Had some gearbox damage before where a tooth from one of the gears broke off. Thinking the gear is now really damaged causing the problem but I'm not hearing like broken stuff when I shake the truck.

Please share your thoughts people. Really appreciate it.

Check your set pins in the cup joints .. where your dogbones set... (make sure you still have all of them )
is it making any noise when your drive it like a grinding or pooping sound ?

i had a similar problem. turned out to be my front diff ate some teeth, but that was after 2 years of bashing on the stock diffs. see if you can pull the little rubber caps off and look into the tranny to possibly see crap flinging around in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like it needs to be in inspected anyway,... Just tear it down and get to the problem.
No need to second guess about it.

thanks for the reply guys. Didn't tear the box down but it 'sounds' fine. Nothing grinding or popping at all. Pretty smooth. It could very well be the drive shaft cup pins. Will check it out and report back.

Thanks again.
Kevin.

i had a problem like dat before and i pulled out da rear diff and one of da gears in it had lost a tooth and then it wore down the rest den i changed to an alloy diff

The verdict is in...

the drive cup pin came out. Went to my LHS today and they had non in-stock so I ordered the pack of 6 from tower. Also started upgrading the control arms to silver integy ones.

Thanks again...this forum is priceless!!

Latest posts

Members online

Back