Nitro to electric conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyDieHard

Hey yall. Names danny. Ok I'm quivk and simple. I need a list of evrything i need to buy to convert my savage 21 to brushless ectric motor. Not the most 3xpesive stuff but the mid range reliable parts ,please i really need some help. Between tattooing snd the quads i havnt had the right time to do the research so if i can get a list ill put it togethet. Thanks in advance and happy racing

4068-4074 Brushless motor between 1800kv-2200kv
ESC around 120a-150a
2 2s lipos around 5000mah
Brushless motor mount (try eBay)
Bulletproof diffs (.21 diffs will only last a few runs)
Flux transmission (prefer the center diff one)
Battery charger

That's pretty much basic list

This is a long reply and far from perfect, but it will give you a good place to start and research further ?

I converted a much newer savage xl to flux, I'm gonna this now in case you read the whole thing and give up. Its a pricey task to convert the rig, takes some time to do it. But boy is it worth it. I've always missed the nitro lifestyle, the sound and the way it drives. But nothing beats the raw power of flux!!

I owned a savage 21 and wanted to convert it, but the parts are all so outdated I didn't see the point, i stripped it for parts and bought an xl 5.9 and eventually converted that to flux.
My recommendation would to first convert the rig to a newer setup and then convert to flux, or just build straight to the newest flux version.
Basically all you'd be keeping is the a-arms and wheel assembly stuff xD

I'm gonna list some essentials you will definitely need to for the conversion. Might be a good opportunity to do a detailed list, similar to @rc4me.US's article about it.

Parts you will need (not complete):

Battery Box: Gonna have to store them somewhere right? @rc4me.US to rescue with this!
They have a battery box kit thats perfect for this.

Flux Chassis: If you're gonna convert to flux, may as well convert it to the XL right ?
You're gonna need a set of flux TVP's, mainly for the battery box mounts.
I went with alza racing 5mm TVPs for this. They are thicker than the standard ones and look beast. They do have standard TVPs if you'd prefer, going to XL will require extra parts (like the longer driveshaft)

Alternatively, you can go with the newest flux TVPs from alza, and pair it with a centre diff to suit (my version is mentioned below, but I think it would be better to move to the new TVPs and trans setup). I'm not sure what motor mounts you'd need for this chassis though, because its different to the way I had done it on mine.

Flux Transmission: You have to ditch the old 2 (or 3) speed trans. When I did my conversion I bought all the parts needed to convert a 3 speed to a flux trans. Lots of little parts and really annoying to do. I still have this trans as a spare though!
Some things out there will make this process way easier, like the alza centre diff mount. Optionally, you can get the centre diff from rc4me, I have this and it works great. Just change the grease in the diff to some high weight silicone diff oil ( I did 1M).

Another note about trans, if you go down the more expensive route with alza's centre diff, you won't need a motor mount, plate, bracket etc as the motor would mount directly to the diff mount. I plan on moving to this setup next year some time. Makes maintenance and such so simple!

Front and Rear Diffs: The savage 21 has awful front and rear diffs. You'll need to move the the "bulletproof" type diffs that the newer savages uses. They're more resilient to flux power. Again, rc4me.us to the rescue for this. They have both the diff and the pinion gear, you'll need two of each.
***Check section at the end for other parts***

Motor Mounts

For all the motor mounts plates, etc, I referred to the standard flux (flux hp) for guidance as I was building that version, just with the XL TVPs.
For the alza TVPs I recommended, the flux HP parts will work.
You can find these anywhere, for example (again) rc4me has them but you'll need t buy the rest of the parts for this separately unlike the standard kit you can get elsewhere. The part number is HPI 100903. Here's an example from local hobby store of mine, it comes with all the required hardware ready to go.
1575425425317.png

Motor Mount Plate and Brace
You'll need the mounting plate and braces for the motor mounts.
The plate is HPI 100906
1575425393270.png

The plate braces to mount the plate to the TVPs is HPI 100907
1575425387080.png

Spur and Pinion Gear
Any HPI savage spur gear will work, you'll just need a smaller tooth version, I recommend starting at 44t and go from there.
As for pinion, its all a matter of seeing what works for you, I use a 15t pinion, but I need to change mine now that I run 4s and 6s on instead of 3s.

Motor and ESC
There are soooooo many options for these on the market, take what @SavageXL85 said above as a good place to start.

Transmitter and Receiver
In my opinion, don't cheap out on a good transmitter and receiver. These can last the lifetime of your hobby and can store over 100 models in memory nowadays. Especially if you're still running an analogue setup! take a look at Spekrum's entry level offerings for example.

Stuff to make your life easier (move away from savage 21)
I've mentioned some parts above about your current rig and it being outdated, flux TVPs from memory will not be able to support the older receiver housing like on the savage 21. I will list some others here that I highly recommend you do, more than likely that you'll have no choice while doing the conversion. Plus they are not too expensive to do.
Note that these will not fit the savage 21 TVPs, but if you want to convert to flux you really shouldn't stick with the savage 21 setup anyways.

SKID PLATE/BODY MOUNT/SHOCK TOWER SET
HPI 85234
You'll need 2 of these, one for the front and one for the back
1575429670150.png

GEAR BOX/BULKHEAD SET
HPI 85235
1575429703641.png

RADIO BOX SET
HPI 85236
1575429749354.png

LOWER ARM BRACE 4x54x3mm
HPI 105893
Comes with 2, you'll need two sets (total of 4 of the braces)
1575429762760.png

UPPER ARM BRACE 4x54x3mm
HPI 105891
Comes with two braces, so you only need the one set.
1575429805984.png

Steering Bell Crank Upgrade
rc4me.us has these at a good price, not needed but well worth the upgrade while you're there

Attachments

• 1575425007395.png
    1575425007395.png
    43 KB · Views: 2
  • 1575429691473.png
    1575429691473.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 3
This is a long reply and far from perfect, but it will give you a good place to start and research further ?

I converted a much newer savage xl to flux, I'm gonna this now in case you read the whole thing and give up. Its a pricey task to convert the rig, takes some time to do it. But boy is it worth it. I've always missed the nitro lifestyle, the sound and the way it drives. But nothing beats the raw power of flux!!

I owned a savage 21 and wanted to convert it, but the parts are all so outdated I didn't see the point, i stripped it for parts and bought an xl 5.9 and eventually converted that to flux.
My recommendation would to first convert the rig to a newer setup and then convert to flux, or just build straight to the newest flux version.
Basically all you'd be keeping is the a-arms and wheel assembly stuff xD

I'm gonna list some essentials you will definitely need to for the conversion. Might be a good opportunity to do a detailed list, similar to @rc4me.US's article about it.

Parts you will need (not complete):

Battery Box: Gonna have to store them somewhere right? @rc4me.US to rescue with this!
They have a battery box kit thats perfect for this.

Flux Chassis: If you're gonna convert to flux, may as well convert it to the XL right ?
You're gonna need a set of flux TVP's, mainly for the battery box mounts.
I went with alza racing 5mm TVPs for this. They are thicker than the standard ones and look beast. They do have standard TVPs if you'd prefer, going to XL will require extra parts (like the longer driveshaft)

Alternatively, you can go with the newest flux TVPs from alza, and pair it with a centre diff to suit (my version is mentioned below, but I think it would be better to move to the new TVPs and trans setup). I'm not sure what motor mounts you'd need for this chassis though, because its different to the way I had done it on mine.

Flux Transmission: You have to ditch the old 2 (or 3) speed trans. When I did my conversion I bought all the parts needed to convert a 3 speed to a flux trans. Lots of little parts and really annoying to do. I still have this trans as a spare though!
Some things out there will make this process way easier, like the alza centre diff mount. Optionally, you can get the centre diff from rc4me, I have this and it works great. Just change the grease in the diff to some high weight silicone diff oil ( I did 1M).

Another note about trans, if you go down the more expensive route with alza's centre diff, you won't need a motor mount, plate, bracket etc as the motor would mount directly to the diff mount. I plan on moving to this setup next year some time. Makes maintenance and such so simple!

Front and Rear Diffs: The savage 21 has awful front and rear diffs. You'll need to move the the "bulletproof" type diffs that the newer savages uses. They're more resilient to flux power. Again, rc4me.us to the rescue for this. They have both the diff and the pinion gear, you'll need two of each.
***Check section at the end for other parts***

Motor Mounts

For all the motor mounts plates, etc, I referred to the standard flux (flux hp) for guidance as I was building that version, just with the XL TVPs.
For the alza TVPs I recommended, the flux HP parts will work.
You can find these anywhere, for example (again) rc4me has them but you'll need t buy the rest of the parts for this separately unlike the standard kit you can get elsewhere. The part number is HPI 100903. Here's an example from local hobby store of mine, it comes with all the required hardware ready to go.
View attachment 7388

Motor Mount Plate and Brace
You'll need the mounting plate and braces for the motor mounts.
The plate is HPI 100906
View attachment 7387

The plate braces to mount the plate to the TVPs is HPI 100907
View attachment 7386

Spur and Pinion Gear
Any HPI savage spur gear will work, you'll just need a smaller tooth version, I recommend starting at 44t and go from there.
As for pinion, its all a matter of seeing what works for you, I use a 15t pinion, but I need to change mine now that I run 4s and 6s on instead of 3s.

Motor and ESC
There are soooooo many options for these on the market, take what @SavageXL85 said above as a good place to start.

Transmitter and Receiver
In my opinion, don't cheap out on a good transmitter and receiver. These can last the lifetime of your hobby and can store over 100 models in memory nowadays. Especially if you're still running an analogue setup! take a look at Spekrum's entry level offerings for example.

Stuff to make your life easier (move away from savage 21)
I've mentioned some parts above about your current rig and it being outdated, flux TVPs from memory will not be able to support the older receiver housing like on the savage 21. I will list some others here that I highly recommend you do, more than likely that you'll have no choice while doing the conversion. Plus they are not too expensive to do.
Note that these will not fit the savage 21 TVPs, but if you want to convert to flux you really shouldn't stick with the savage 21 setup anyways.

SKID PLATE/BODY MOUNT/SHOCK TOWER SET
HPI 85234
View attachment 7396

GEAR BOX/BULKHEAD SET
HPI 85235
View attachment 7398

RADIO BOX SET
HPI 85236
View attachment 7399

LOWER ARM BRACE 4x54x3mm
HPI 105893
Comes with 2, you'll need two sets (total of 4 of the braces)
View attachment 7400

UPPER ARM BRACE 4x54x3mm
HPI 105891
Comes with two braces, so you only need the one set.
View attachment 7401

Steering Bell Crank Upgrade
rc4me.us has these at a good price, not needed but well worth the upgrade while you're there
[/QUOT

This is excellent info thank you so much! Ive been looking for weeks how to convert my savage 25 and so glad i found this post? i just ordered my kit from rc4me and will post more info when i complete faze one of the conversion?

Latest posts

Members online

Back