Newbie needs help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potter24

Hi All I'm a newb here, i have a savage x 4.6, After landing a jump the wrong way my motor moved a little bit and stripped the spur gear. i have since got a new one, now when i run my car it makes a whining noise, kinda sounds like a super charger or gear whine. can anyone help? oh and my car doesn't launch as hard anymore. its really boggy off the line

Thanks

I would check to make sure you engine plate isn't bent .. Also is your slipper clutch tight ? Tighten it all the way down the back it off 1/8 of a turn ..

Keep us posted please ! Welcome to hpisf glad to have you here my man.

I tightened the slipper all the way up and backed it off a little. ill have a look at the plate to see if its bent.

First let me say welcome to the forum!!!!11one

But ya I would do what Jester said and make sure nothing is bent. But I would also reset the mesh between the Spur Gear and the Clutch Bell. Put a piece of note book paper between the gears, loosen the engine mount screws underneath the engine plate and slide the engine towards the spur gear. Tighten the screws back down and take out the piece of paper, there should be a little play in between the spur gear and clutch bell. If that doesn't get rid of the problem check the slipper clutch again, tighten it all the way down, then back it off 1/8th of a turn. If that doesnt work I would take off the spur a check the slipper pad out, make sure it on there properly and not melted or damaged.

Your still running a plastic spur right ?(didn't know if you switched to a metal spur )

yeah still plastic. but after the way one of them melted yesturday i don't think ill have a plastic one for long..

Yea man I would say stick w/ the plastic.. its the only weak link you have. A $4.00 part is nothing

ok well i took the motor out again. both the engine stand and plate are straight, i took off and reassembled the slipper clutch using the paper this time. i will take it for a drive in about an hour to see if its still making the noise. i hope it launches hard again.

make sure youe mesh is square as well as spaced with the notebook paper.

look straight down at both gears and make sure they are both square with eachother.

you can feel if the mesh is right by just rolling the spur gear with your finger, or rolling the truck on the ground.

did you use loctite on all the machine screw's?

it melted your last gear due to overheating the gear, which happens because the gear was slipping alot.

thats a good reason to not "launch as hard"....the power wasnt getting to the drive train.

If your spur was melted and you lost some get up you might want to look at the clutches could be gettin hot under the bell and have melted the spur!don't get discouraged good things come in time and the more you work on your beast the easier it gets!!

Thanks guys, i had a look at the mesh and it looks to be square. yes i used thread lock on the engine screws.
what should i look for in the clutches? this would make sense cause the spur was stuffed

What you are looking for in the clutch shoes is simply the wear, if the shoes have worn down to the point where the springs are touching the clutch bell you could of found your problem. It's kinda hard to explain, like there is the contact area where the shoe contacts the clutch bell, if that area is worn down to the point where the springs in the groove are also touching the clutch bell. Hopefully this is understandable.

Yeah i understand that. ill have a look and see if they are worn out. they better not be the car has only had 1L of nitro through it

Ok i had a look at the clutch bell everything is ok there. i put it all back together and it was running awesome,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, except i must have had the slipper a touch to loose, cause i shredded the clutch pad. oh well ill get a new one in the morning.

I have noticed the engine breaks down at high rpm now. i have tried adjusting the HSN but it didnt make that much difference. Am i running my motor to lean?

Thanks

If you mean by break down that the engine suddenly bogs down then picks up RPM again then bogs again, etc. Then yes it sounds like you are running the high speed to lean. Richen it up some untill that goes away.

Awesome thanks, yeah it will be running really well then it splutters and carries on when i have WOT, if i come to a stop and go again it might or might not do it. its weird

i bet your all sick of my questions by now. I bought a new spur gear off ebay the other day, it arrive today, but it looks nothing like what i have already. it has 2 clutch pads and it doesnt have the cone shape to one side. what part do i have? the Part number is 77094. i have a savage X 4.6rtr thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup you bought the Spur gear for a previous Savage. That design was a dual slipper like you said. The one you want is this part number 76937. I have done the same thing and bought the wrong one. Also don't be worried about having to many questions, thats what this forum is for and if it wasnt for thesxe question the forum would die out.

hhhmmmmmm bugger, oh well i have 2 spare clutch pads now. is the dual clutch any better?

Personally I haven't had any experience with it, but I haven't had any problems with the single one and I don't think HPI would change it for no reason.

Members online

No members online now.
Back