New ss5.9

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTDpower

New ss5.9 ~~UPDATE w/ RADIO BOX PICS~~

ok, so it came in the mail today. Thought I would give you guys an update on the new kit. Basically, as most know, it is an ss kit but it comes with a 5.9 and the flux drivetrain stuff.

It apparently comes with the new bullet proof stuff and super heavy duty stuff, in addition to the 4.6 version of the gears and the heavy duty stuff. So you end up with 8 dog bones, 8 axles, 8 diff outdrives, and two sets of ring and pinion gears for your diffs (at least). I haven't really started into the kit yet. But if it is the same as last time, it will also include the 4 adjustable upper arms, but it will come with non adjustable ones as well, and a few other doubles of stuff (because of the upgrades). Seems like it may be a pretty decent deal.

Gotta love the new rc car smell when you open the box :)

Its gonna be hard, but I am in the middle of moving and probably will just look at the box until the beginning of february, before I start the build. I have alot of other stuff coming anyway, and want to wait until it gets hear as well.

Should be a sweet build, I'll keep ya'll updated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I placed the order way long time ago on TowerHobbies. I think I was one of the originals? I just got it today, but I have been waiting for a while. I don't think anywhere else (including tower) has it right now. I don't even think you can find them on ebay?

Update. Tower's website said includes roto start. Hpi's website is a little gray, it doesn't specifically say, but it has pictures both pull and roto? So I called tower and told them it came pull start but they say roto on their website. They told me to call HPI cause they're info was right and maybe HPI packaged it wrong?? haha. I called HPI and they are like, no, tower has the wrong info (as I suspected). HPI is gonna send me a rotostart anyway though?? I am like, that isn't necessary, tower should pay for it bla bla, but they just did it anyway, they are awesome! I think their relationship with tower may allow them to split the cost or send tower the bill anyway?

I am actually thinkin about using the back plate and shaft with my little cordless drill, so I am happy to get this includded as well :)

Wow, I didn't realize how much extra stuff it would come with, that's cool. Nothing like having parts on hand when you need 'em.

Yeah thats what I figure, probably nobody runs the non adjustable upper arms for example, but... they would let you finish a day of racing or bashing until you replace your good stuff.

Never hurts to have cheap extras ;-)

I recomend staying with the pullstart for a few reasons.

Rotostarts are bad news for OWB's
You don't have to carry around a drill or roto start
one less thing to worry about charging.

Update:

I was just poking around in the box some more today and noticed that it came with the axle carriers from a Flux or XL. The ones that have the extra bit of reinforcing on them opposed to the regular X style.

I don't know if they improved those carriers since the X model but I did the steering mod to my XL carriers and although I did see a decent increase in steering angle, it was not as big of a difference as some people made it seem. Still worth doing IMO but I thought I would see a bigger difference afterward.

savage XL
savageXL.jpg

Savage X
savagex.jpg

The ss5.9 came with the the version as seen in the upper picture :) That is the difference I was talking about.

UPDATE:

Truck is built, as far as it can go. I am waiting on my second phase of parts to get here to finish.

Pics are coming...

Hey come on now guys, just cause I'm gonna run a 5.9 (I think) doesn't mean it won't be a competitive racer...

so you have to be CF and run an ERCM picco to stay in the racer section, or what?

J/K I don't care were the thread gets moved to.

Going to run the 5.9? You could sell it for more than enough to buy an axial or add a few bucks and get a lrp.

Well, the 5.9 may just turn into my basher/back up engine, we'll see. I just have to see for myself first hand wether or not HPI really did fail on this motor.

Fair enough man let us know how it goes. What else have you run to compare it to

Well, there lies the problem, haha. I have run just about every .12 available from back when I raced 1/10 truck. But in the big block world only the k4.6

I thought my 4.6 was a beast, anything stronger surely would have just destroyed the truck??

Anywho, I know how to make them run, so maybe I should just go ahead and grab a picco or LRP and do the comparison... man I want to get one of them axials too, cause if they weren't half bad, for $110 thats pretty sweet :)

Hmm... that is weird, the specs are identical from the .28spec1s and the k4.6. Does HPI and Axial have some connection? Who makes the engine?

If they are the same I'll be buying the crap outta them axials :)

Hey guys I have a couple more questions... what is the part number for the bearings used in the steering, I'm sure a search would find it but..? :)

Also, these RC Screwz kits are worthless! They have a boat load of stainless hex drive screws in the kit but not even half of them are useful. They only include machine thread screws, so none of the factory screws that go into plastic with a coarse thread (which is like over half the screws) can be replaced with the Screwz kit. Does anybody make a stainless screw kit with the coarse thread screws ?

yes king star makes the K for HPI. If you want a sport class mill its fine. The F 4.6 in the rtr will beat it. For the record that is a Force 28. Ofna makes it for HPI....

Members online

No members online now.
Back