New ramp design

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtremsavage

OG HPISF MEMBER!!!!!
The past few months I have been workin on building another "foldable" ramp to fit in the trunk of our car. There used to be a thread on here that I started when I made the last one, but it seems to be gone. The original one I made can't fit in the trunk without having to fold the backseat down, which won't work having a kid's car seat in the backseat. Since I work for an commercial HVAC company doin sheetmetal duct work, I have easy access to all kinds of metal. I used some 16ga metal to make some angle to build the base, support leg, and ramp stiffeners. I used some 1/4-20 riv-nuts where the support legs attach to make set-up quick & easy. This is MK1 and MK2 is also in the build process. I'll post measurements of MK1 next time I have it set up and MK2 will be longer & taller. I'll also post those measurements once it's finished. As of right now, I plan on using the same base fir both MK1 & MK2. MK1 is perfect for my son to use when he is driving his SC truck. MK2 will be more for me and once he gets a better (faster) truck, along being a better driver, he'll be able to step up to the MK2 ramp.I don't have pics of the old ramp, but here are the pics of the new one.20200718_190141.jpg20200718_190242.jpg20200718_190249.jpg20200718_190611.jpg20200718_190830.jpg

In the 3rd (middle) pic, the clip that is on the short side angle was a temp solution til I was able to pick up the riv-nuts. I also still have a few more "tweeks" to do, but he's jumped it a few times and is very happy with it.

That's the "tweek" I still need to finish. Gonna either add a S-hook & chain or a pc of angle to pull the middle angle down to add a curve to the ramp. Right now, with it being loose, jumping my son's SC truck off it doesn't have any side effects (so to speak)to the way the truck jumps. The truck is light enough to where it doesn't push the ramp down when driving up it. Even slow speed it only sags like 1/4-1/2 inch. The 10+ lb savage is a different story, which I haven't jumped yet.

Also forgot to mention that I used masonite for the ramp part. It's flexible enough to add a curve and have the curve adjustable. I placed the smooth side towards the inside of the ramp (down) and the rough side facing out so the trucks had better traction. It's the same material I used for the last ramp and had some other guys jump HPI Baja 5Bs off it. Held up great to the abuse of a 1/5th scale.

There used to be a thread on here that I started when I made the last one, but it seems to be gone.

I was bored at work, so I went looking. I found a thread where you reference and link to your build thread, but sadly that link goes no where. Perhaps @WoodiE can work his forum magic and pull it out of whatever black hole it fell into?

I keep meaning to build another ramp as my old one is practically beat to dust. I am eyeing up T-bone's ramp, but it is rather expensive. I might just be lazy enough right now to pull the trigger on it though.......haha

I was bored at work, so I went looking. I found a thread where you reference and link to your build thread, but sadly that link goes no where. Perhaps @WoodiE can work his forum magic and pull it out of whatever black hole it fell into?

I keep meaning to build another ramp as my old one is practically beat to dust. I am eyeing up T-bone's ramp, but it is rather expensive. I might just be lazy enough right now to pull the trigger on it though.......haha

Thanks X for looking into gettin that thread back. I was gonna just update it with the new versions, but couldn't find it.

That T-Bone Racing ramp is expensive. That cost as much as some new RCs. There's no way I'd spend that much on a ramp, no matter how lazy I am. Besides, if I was THAT lazy, I wouldn't even be messin RCs as a hobby. I've spent less than $10 on the new one cuz the rest of the material came from work.

Thanks X for looking into gettin that thread back. I was gonna just update it with the new versions, but couldn't find it.

That T-Bone Racing ramp is expensive. That cost as much as some new RCs. There's no way I'd spend that much on a ramp, no matter how lazy I am. Besides, if I was THAT lazy, I wouldn't even be messin RCs as a hobby. I've spent less than $10 on the new one cuz the rest of the material came from work.
Yeah, $240 for adjustable convenience... that's a pretty high price on that thing. On par with some of the skate ramps, which can likely take more abuse though:
https://www.discountramps.com/freshpark/c/BRA_1001_41/

thats a good design! I need to build a new rampant I may just try that out ;) my dad does HVAC as well so I'm sure I could get some scrap ductwork from him.

Sadly this thread looks to be long gone. Given the low thread ID (6246) I'm guessing this was an early thread and likely well before I came around.

I've even done a search for all of @xtremsavage's threads as well... nothing. :(

Here are the measurements I said I would post up when I got the chance. Small version (MK1) is 40" wide, 41" long (flat with no curve), and 14" high. I may make it a couple inches taller. The large version (MK2) is 40" wide, 80" long (flat with no curve), and 42" high. Still need to finish MK2 and get some test jumps in with the nitro savvy.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back