New Problem with Savage X 4.6

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
at least its running, but its running rich. the reason the wheels are spinning is because you have to set the idle so high to keep it running so now try this, lean out the HSN about 1/2 a turn and the lsn about a 1/4 turn. Adjust the idle on your TX so she will stay running/idling. From here on out, lean out the HSN about 1/8 of a turn at a time till she stays running. Hang in there you almost got it!!

OK I will give that a try. The problem is when I touch the needles I really cant tell that it does anything because the idle is turned up so high on the remote. I can try to idle down on the remote but it dies almost everytime. I do see large amounts of nitro coming from the exhaust so its probably running rich. I just cant get it to not run rich and stay running all together.

OK gave that a try. I was able to get the idle all the way down on the remote but truck is still high rev'd and wheels still spinning fast. I can start to turn down the idle some but truck dies. I did take out the engine yesterday to check the one way bearing could something be wrong witht the clutch? The wheels will not stop spinning fast no matter what I do. I do not see anything visible with the clutch but did not take off the bell housing. Something is causing the wheels to spin and never find neutral. Any help????? Thanks

Any tips on how to check that?

Sorry for the stupid question about taking the engine back out. OK took the engine back out and took the clutch bell off. One of the shoes was not sitting flat on the back plate like the other two are sitting. I think this might be the issue with the wheels spinning non stop??? I took the one shoe off that is was not sitting flat and will try to get it back on and see if it will sit flat. Has anyone see this before? bad spring or just a reseat job? Thanks

OK reseated the shoe and it will not sit flat it wants to pull at tad off the back plate the shoes sit on. Is this a problem or will the clutch bell keep it flat against the back plate? I can hold it down and it aligns with the other two shoes and looks like pic in manual. Any tips appreciated. Thanks

can you post a pic of the clutches? this way we can see whats going on and point you in the right direction.

Here is a pic of the raised clutch shoe. I gather the clutch bell will force the shoe to lay down but not sure if that is an issue???? I put it back together and got the shoe to lay down flat and clutch spins free now but not sure if it will raise up again??? Thanks

Thanks for the tip. I hope I have this clutch shoe issue fixed, and I hope this one shoe was causing the wheel spin. If I can get the wheels to stop spinning then I can run this thing. Thanks

Is there a particular thread lock I should be using? I was thinking of picking some up at my local automotive store...CWOOLIE

Any particular brand will work, but get the blue, DO NOT get the red. Once you use the red, you will have a very hard time getting screws out.

Can you believe she ran today? Good call on checking the clutch for the wheel spin issue. That is now resolved with a reseat on that one clutch shoe and sping. I got some half throttle spins out of her in the backyard and all was well. Smoke comes out when I get on the gas but not at idle. I guess this is OK? So far some good progress has been made. Supposed to be 60 here on Saturday so maybe I can get some full throttle turns out of her. Thanks to ALL who have helped me with this issue, I greatly appreciate your expertise! Thanks CWOOLIE

see as we all were saying, once you get her all dialed in you will be having a blast just sometimes they can be a pain i admit!! but glad to hear your making progress!!!!

As long as it smokes when you punch it from a stop. If its not smoking at all on the bottom end then its too lean. Glad to hear you got it figured out.

Yep another good day. I got 3 tanks threw her and all was well. Stripped her down and cleaned her up for another day. I still need to work on driving. It would not shift at first but when she did watch out. Haul some but at that point............

Good deal. Glad you got it going. I know I had alot of trouble with mine in the beginning trying to get it broke in. I don't know if it was excitement or just expected to much too quick, but now it's done it's great. If you have anymore trouble or questions, ask, these people on here seem to have seen it or done it all. No question I've had has gone unanswered. Very informative site. Seems to be alot of nice people one here too.

Latest posts

Members online

Back