New paint job... well kinda

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noakes75

Alright, so I'm the new guy around here. I just got my Savy 25 from a guy off craigslist.com. I traded some stuff I have for the savy and a computer. Less to say the kid really didn't keep up with the maintenance and now I'm trying to get it up to specs. Seeing as I have no money really into the purchase of the thing I think I got a good idea. I'm not going to get the body I want until this thing is actually running good again. If you looked in the "new members" section you will see some of the problems I'm having.
ANYWAYS
Well the kid tried to do some half paint job on it and it looked like death warmed over. I am going to buy a new body for it later and give it a nice paint job, but in the mean time I just couldn't look at this thing any longer.
SO rather then try to spend alot of time and effert into something that I will just be changing later I looked around the house and noticed I had some herculiner laying around. So I took some 60 grit to the body, cut the windows out and covered it in herculiner.

My goal is to make it look like my old girl; 1:1, that I have back in Michigan. I included some pictures of it to give you some idea.

So, tell me what you guys think... good idea, bad idea. Please feel free to be honest. I was wondering, why do you guys keep all the glass installed? I cut mine out, I wasn't sure about that. It doesn't rain here alot so I don't think that will be an issue.
Also, the old body that it has on it now has cut outs for the LED head lights... is that *** or not? I see no one here really has them on? Just wondering what the public opinion is on that as well.

*good deal I meant* sorry, I'm kinda tripping on some oxyCODONE right now... don't worry it was prescribed to me for getting my wisdom teeth yanked out but man alive that stuff is killer... Maybe that was were my thinking was at for the hurculiner? :)

LOL don't worry man, I am on the same medication. It can make you feel weird in layman's terms. Also that herculiner is different. I might actually try something with that stuff for a paint job. Good Stuff

Thanks man, I also did it to the roll cage. I painted it two days ago and after one day out the paint was already worn off it, so I figured I would give this a shot.

better than what i did to my old basher body...i am getting everything ready to paint my new body..(painted many cars and bikes and such but never from the inside.) so i was working on my cutting tequnic on my basher body... i did not bother roughing up the body at all...i just hit it with some black bumper paint...lol...came out looking like crap but when it gets some scratches it will be some cool looking charter marks...lol...with the orange and grey on the under side...so i say go deal on the bed liner paint...the body is just going to get trashed any way so who cares..lol...

That is a good idea but it will definately add some extra weight to the truck. As far as cutting out the windows, some do it and some don't. But most people just take and cut vent holes in the windsheild for ventalation to the motor. And then cut out or and holes on the rear window for a complete venting effect. It helps to keep the motor cooler and runnin better. On the next body, I would suggest appling a really thin layer of the bedline to the inside to better protect the body, after it's painted.

right on, all sounds good to me. Yea this stuff is pretty tough, I have the door panels in my S-10 covered with it and it's holding up pretty well. It does add some weight, but for ppl in my shoes IE; Newbie I don't think that's a huge concern. Maybe one day.

Just cont get it on your hosie and your good. Let us know how it holds up! I try to leave as many windows as I can for strength. My windshields always go for my mid mount tank. but I keep the side windows. I find lights to be worthless but if you like them keep them. No one here will judge you for having them!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back