New owner of a used Savage XL K5.9 with some questions :-)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve2023

Hi all New owner of a used Savage XL K5.9.

The engine was seized from sitting for years, dropped some oil into the plug hole, removed the carb to clean up and dropped some oil In thr carb hole and let it sit overnight.

While it soaked I stripped the carb and cleaned it and set everything back to stock settings.

The next day the engine was free and turned over and felt like it had good compression.

Fitted a new OS 8 Glowplug and stuck the carb on and it fired up but would rev up and down.

I took the engine out and theres a missing bolt from the back plate. Did a leak test and theres bubbles coming from the back plate so need to sort that.

I have a few questions -

1. Is the setting for the LSN supposed to be flush with the actual carb slide or flush with the mount that bolts onto the carb slide for the servo arm to connect to? (Reason I ask Is because I have a Jato and that is supposed to be flush with the carb slide (not the bit that bolts onto the carb slide for the arm to attach)

2. I removed the Mid speed needle to make sure it was clear with no blocks, this has 4 holes in it. I read to screw this in flush with the body but do I also line one of the holes up with the HSN hole?

3. Should the exhaust connection at the rubber be tight as mine feels quite loose (maybe a jubilee clamp will sort that?).

4. Is it right that you will usually have an air leak from the front of the engine when testing for leaks as there is no oil present to seal this gap up as the engine isn't running? (Can't see and visible splatter from the front.

For needle settings, this is whatever the engine runs best with the fuel you use. Use a good fuel like bones brew which isn't overly oily. HPI have some good tuning videos on youtube.

If the exhaust seal is loose, install a new seal.

Ideally, here shouldn't be any air leaks.

Also use a HPI glow plug. Either a B4 or B5 standard glow plug. OS8 is a short glow plug and while it may run it could reduce the compression for a loss in performance.

Last edited:
For needle settings, this is whatever the engine runs best with the fuel you use. Use a good fuel like bones brew which isn't overly oily. HPI have some good tuning videos on youtube.

If the exhaust seal is loose, install a new seal.

Ideally, here shouldn't be any air leaks.

Thanks

Took the back apart, is there supposed to be a ORing on this groove of the starter shaft?

20230516_203042.jpg

Thanks

I have to admit that I cant be sure about the o ring. Looking at it and thinking about how it goes together, I would say no. Is there an o ring inside the back plate which it passes through? Also take a look at the HPI website. They have all the old manuals in PDF which include exploded diagrams and part numbers.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back