New here, new savage, new Picco

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riddler6.7

Hey guys, I'm new here and to this sport. I bought a savage X rtr on wendsday and had an unfortunate accident the next day. While on my 4th break in tank and tuning the truck alittle, i managed to hit a rock while turning and flip the truck over just perfectly to manage to rip the motor away from the engine mount and rip a piece off of the crank case.... real sucky day....

So with no help or sympathy from HPI, i got on here and did a lot of reading while i was waiting for my account to be activated and decided to order a Picco .28 Pull start engine as well as the other replacement parts for my savage....

With that said I have some questions about the conversion process...

What all will need to be done to make the engine work in my savage? I have read that i will probably need to shave my engine mount a little, will i have to shave both sides of the mount, or just one side?

What about gearing, will the stock gearing that was with the F4.6 be ok?

Also what about the roto start, i know some ppl don't like them, but i love them being new to all of this... Ive read that it will work with some modification, but what mod?

And i think my final question is, will my stock exhaust work ok til i can convince the wife to let me buy a performance pipe?

Please fill me in on anything you can and anything u missed. One guy at the LHS told me i should have bought something else, that the piccos are fast but not a good basher motor and wont hold a tune... while my other friend who works at LHS too, had a picco in his savage and loved it. I'm SURE i made the right choice though.

One more question, thinking about upgrading to 2.4ghz, will this extend the range in addition to all the other benefits? and i don't have to change my servos or anything right?

Thanks guys, i know thats a lot of questions, ive tried doing some research but i don't have internet at my house so i don't have that much time to look around.

welcome to hpisf riddler and the only question i can answer is your servos will work with the 2.4 radio of choise but you will want to upgrade them in the future any way

Welcome to the side bro, good to have you, how did you find us?

i will probably need to shave my engine mount a little, will i have to shave both sides of the mount, or just one side?

Crankcase on the picco is a bit thicker. you'll just need both inside edges a bit for the mill to fit. id recommend using a file versus a dremel. very simple to do.

What about gearing, will the stock gearing that was with the F4.6 be ok?

yes. 17/47 is a nice starting point. run that for a while and get a feel for it. then you can adjust from there (if you want to).

Also what about the roto start, i know some ppl don't like them, but i love them being new to all of this... Ive read that it will work with some modification, but what mod?

And i think my final question is, will my stock exhaust work ok til i can convince the wife to let me buy a performance pipe?

yes it will work. wont add any performance tho.

One guy at the LHS told me the piccos are fast but not a good basher motor and wont hold a tune...

very obvious that this guy has never owned a picco and prolly never even run one. 99.9% of peeps working at hobbyshops don't have a clue. you made a sweet choice indeed.

One more question, thinking about upgrading to 2.4ghz, will this extend the range in addition to all the other benefits? and i don't have to change my servos or anything right?

yes. the futaba 3pm extended the range on mine from about 900' to 2 or 3000'. kinda don't matter caz you can barely even see the truck at 5-600'

you can run the same servo's but in time you'll want to upgrade to digital, metal gearing & all that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forums Riddler6.7. You've came too a great forum for the best advice on any problem you may have with your rc's.

Every one has you covered will say this you don't want a roto start and the fact that you are new means that you really shouldn't use one. Nothing worse than blowing up your oneway bearing or breaking something worse on your brand new 200 dollar mill because of a roto start.

Also welcome.

Welcome to the forum. Picco mills are very good. Find a lhs with atleast 1 guy that runs savages and ask him what he does with his. Race it bash it or both. If you luck out and find a guy like that at a lhs. Then he just might know what he's talking bout. Other than that they got no idea. Lol. Awe scratch all that. Just come to us with any questions about your truck. A lot of us run other things aswell as savages but we all can agree these trucks are our favoret I think. Welcome abord. Happy bashin.

Welcome to the forums Riddler6.7. You've came too a great forum for the best advice on any problem you may have with your rc's.

Modified. This is for you. Man I want a close up picture pc the truck on your avatar. The side criq. Been wanting to see that lid forever lol what's the graphics on it and what red paint you use. Thx in advance. Hit me up please. Tc bash on.

Welcome to the forum! I use a Futaba 3PM and I love it. Range so far you can barely see the truck, built-in fail safe, and you can use it with standard or digital servos. Run it in HRS (high resonse mode) for digital servos, and use the PPM mode for standard servos. When using PPM you do have to reset the FS each time you turn the receiver on and off, but all you do is hold the brakes and push one button. It couldn't be any simpler. Gearing is more of a preference thing and I like my HPI polished pipe, if thats what you have. Roto starts do wear out the OWB and starter shafts quickly. Pull starts also have the weak point of failing on you. Generally speaking most people will say to use a pull start, but if you do decide to convert to a PS I would suggest buying two of them. Nothing sucks worse than driving out to your favorite bashing spot and having your PS break on you the first time you pull it. Good luck with your new truck!

Thanks for all the info guys. I cant wait til all my stuff gets here. I have a feeling that i will probably need a wheely bar even more now, or a savage XL chassis kit.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back