new engine time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4x4

I'm looking for an engine I'm thinking os .30 vg. i don't race my truck yet but may do some races just for fun.i bash my truck at the moment. i want an engine with a lot of low end torque (and still some speed). and ive got around £180 or $354.
any help is welcomed.
4x4

p.s any comments on the os are also welcome

jespares are selling an axial .32 on ebay. £130 i think it was. that should have plenty enough low end for you, and leave money over to get a killer pipe to go with it.

I bought my Axial .28 at SMF for $120. Easy to break in TONS of power and I'm using a stock exhaust. Easy to start, easy to break in, easy to tune. You can buy 2 Axial's for what you would pay for one OS. Axial's like to get in the 250-260 range during break-in, so keep an eye on your temps and you will be fine.

for low end tourque i think the Axial 32 or OS 30 is a good choice.. though there are alot of complaints about the OS 30, from lack of power to short life span..so IMHO i would avoid the OS 30, i would get a Picco 28 way before an OS 30.

For an all around powerhouse engine you can't beat a properly setup STS 30, as much or more tourque then an Axial 32 and as much or more top end then a LRP 28 Spec 3.. The first series of STS 30's came with a very loose pinch, some looser then others.. and the looser the motor the less power it would make... STS has now released the newer Revision 2 which comes with a pinch tighter then my Picco 28....In fact the new STS 30's have a pinch similar to my race .21... WHich means the newer revision 2 motors are going to be much stronger and easier to tune then the original 30's....

Another mill to consider if you don't want an STS is the Picco 28, this motor makes as much power as a Nova 28...dynoed 2 HP on the XRC X-Dyno.... The Picco 28 will have awesome bottom end with a blistering top end... They are also a very well built engine, using very good materials and having an excelent fit and finish...The Picco will be a little tricky to tune till its broken in, but will last a long time if broken in correctly..

No matter what engine you buy, a nice Axial .28 is always waiting for you.

I iam going to say the surefire .32 been a great engine still runs strong and it has 5 gallons on it not to mention AWESONE customer service I just called them they are sending me a new carb ( a year after I bought the surefire) ooooh yea (for free) !!!!!

I've had my axial 32 for a month now and I'm just now getting some good fun out of it due to the weather. It is a torque monster with good top end. I run it with a 16/49 ratio with a 3speed and big joes and it wheelies as much as I want and a great top end and it runs all day at 245 degrees on 30%. I bought mine on ebay for 168$ and I can't be more happy.:jamout:

the axial .32 has been ordered! :jamout:

Or a THS pipe, Xjeep runs that combo with all his Axial's. I was picking his brain about a good pipe for my Axial .28 and he said THS is the way to go.

heres my rating on some motors

Axial 32/Surefire 32

Bottom end 9/10
midrange 7/10
top end 5/10
tuning 8/10
build quality 6.5/10 ( leaky carbs and bearings)
durability 8/10

SH 28 P6/LRP Spec 2/XTM 457

Bottom end 9/10
midrange 8/10
top end 7/10
tuning 7.5/10
build quality 6.5/10 (bearings not seated, leaky carbs)
durability 7/10

STS 30

Botom end 9.5/10
midrange 9/10
top end 9/10
tuning 6.5/10
build quality 8.5/10
durability 7/10

I have extensive experience modding and running all 3 of these engines, and have tested all 3 against each other many times. If you can tune nothing touches the STS as far as performance goes...It has more tourque then any other motor i have ever used, and has a top end like an Italian race engine. As well it is amazing on fuel...

Second in line as far as performance goes is a SH28P6...it has awesome tourque, amazing midrange and a decent top end... Its easy to tune, and dirt cheap to buy.

Then the Axial/surefire 32...it has amazing effortless bottom end tourque, a good mid range, but zero top end...It is one of the lowest revving motors I have come across, But its easy tuning and awesome bottom end more then make up for it..

all my motors run on 30% nitro...so results may vary with 20% nitro...the STS 30 V1 engines were very loose so they don't care much for 20%...

the axial .32 has arrived along with the fastlane extended chassis!
pics to follow
4x4

Cool you'll like the Axial, take your time breaking it in and you'll be fine. Keep an eye on your temps.

Latest posts

Members online

Back