New 3 Speed Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage89

I just dropped in a new pre assembled 3 speed in my second truck and it doesnt seem to want to shift at all what so ever i tried adjusting 1st and 2ns to shift earlier no luck also tried to make it shift later also no luck now I'm stuck and don't have a clue as the what could be wrong with it.

Make sure you have the slipper tightend down. I have a s25 the motor doesn't turn very high RPMs so that may be a problem too. Also if you are still running the stock clutch it Is most likely slipping a lot. When testing to see if it is shifting go very slow and work your way up to speed a well timed shift is sometimes not even noticeable.

ok so with no luck i brought it down to the store and they told me that my motor isnt strong enough for it to shift to third (they got second to work) which i know isnt true because the motor only had a gallon on it and it runs great. I took it home to try it out and what do you know now the brand new clutch shoes are shot I didnt even get a chance to drive it they killed them then gave it back to me

Wierd I responded to this last night but don't see my response. Maybe I messed it up LOL. Anyhow, the tranny shifts from RPM's and centrifugal force so it should not matter how "strong" your motor is. If it is running good and your slipper is tight then get new clutch shoes in there, and if it still does it is probably your spring tension in the gears. It can take some tinkering to get it just right. I was in and out of mine 4 times before I got it just right. Turns out the factory settings were way off for mine, it made the spring in 2nd way tighter than the one in third. I had to figure this out on my own and set the clutch pieces by feel. That got them close but I still needed to fine tune them after that. Use a small screw driver or pick to open those little clutch pieces in the gears and make sure they open sequentially with third being the tightest. Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
It was here think it got lost on the server transfer. I don't think the 3 speed and a .25 is a good match. It wont have the power to pull 3rd if it did engage it will just fall on its face..

i think the cb/sg is being overlooked on this cuz if the mill isnt strong enough to pull the trans gears then id try changing the spur/cb combo to give the trans a higher rpm so it will shift and it also depends on the size of tire your running also. this is purely my .02

eric....

Thats what I was saying it should still be able to use third if the RPM's are there. It may not be able to pull through the gears as quickly but it should still be able to reach a higher speed with 3rd. Even if it takes a little longer than a big block.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back