Need Info on Preferred Radio Gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McF

I am in the process of building the X SS and I'm at the point where I need to build the radio box. I believe I've made my mind up on the 3PM 2.4Ghz but no idea for a throttle or steering servo. I know the steering servo question has been asked over and over. So can I get any ideas for a parts list? I plan on the next from tower hobbies.

Battery pack? and why (for truck and transmitter)
Servos?

Thanks.

Get a Re-Chargeable Hump Pack, around 1400mHa and If you have the money, get some Hitec 645mg servos...

WWelcome to the forum. You found the right plaace, you a great bunch of people, everyone is very helpfull here.

On the servos I think most of us use the Hitec 645MG (I think that is the correct numbeer) it is good to use them for both steering and throttle but you could use a lesser one for th throttle. I just have a cheap one on the throttle on my ss but I will upgrade one of these days. If you want to double check the number just put it in the search box.

Yup...The Hitec is great for steering, but I only have a HPI SF-2 on my throttle, thats about the most you need...
The Hitec 645MG is rated at about 9.6kg and I think the HPI SF-2 is about 6kg of Torque

Yeah get a faster servo if you can for the throttle then the 645. That way you get more of an instant throttle response.

Also the SF-2 is an awesome servo. Not the most powerful but damn hard to break.

Last edited by a moderator:
i bought a hump pack-charger for like $30.00 bucks from a company called onlybatterypacks.com they were great to deal with and i haven't had any problems with it!! its a 1500 mah NiMH hump pack with charger!! just thought i would mention it!!

Tell me what you would like to spend on both servos. This way I can give you good suggestions according to your price range.

Here is the battery pack I'm using. I have 2 of them and they worked out great. Best price I found for a pack of this size. http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1927
I'm using these servos for the steering. I picked up a set of 2 for only $20. They have worked out well. No problems with either part. They may not be the best servos but for the price it was worth a shot, and so far I'm quite happy with them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-x-MG995-Metal...9192183QQihZ006QQcategoryZ34063QQcmdZViewItem

Tell me what you would like to spend on both servos. This way I can give you good suggestions according to your price range.
Quality, not quantity is what I'm after. Is there a good, better, best kinda thing? What's the deal with the battery packs? 1100 1400 1600 mah

Thanks for the info.

MCF I JUST GOT DONE BUILDING MY SAVVY TO. HERE IS THE ITEM # FOR THE SERVO YOU WANT IT IS AWSOME AND NOT EXPENSIVE IT IS ON EBAY HERE IS THE Item number: 320193101204 THEY ARE 166OZ. WITH 6V I RUN A 1400 HUMP PACK AND THAT SERVO WITH THE CEN GENESIS WHEELS AND TIRES 7.5" TALL 4IN. WIDE AND I CAN TURN ANY WHERE. THIS IS MY OPINION ABOUT THE MG 645 SERVO VERY CHEAP IN PRICE IF YOU HAVE A LOW BUDGET BUT THEY WORK (ALRIGHT) I HAD THEM AND DID NOT LIKE THEM THEY WOULD NOT TURN MY TRUCK ALL THAT WELL. WHEN I GOT THE
Hitec HS-5645MG Metal Gear Torque Servo MAN I TELL YOU WHAT I LOVED IT ITS AN AWSOME SERVO I RUN IT WITH A 1400 HUMP PACK WHICH YOU CAN ALSO GET AT EBAY FOR CHEAP. WELL HOPE THIS HELPS.

P.S FOR JUST THE LITTLE EXTRA MONEY GO WITH THE Hitec HS-5645MG

As some have stated above, for throttle go for a balance of speed and torque, and for steering go for all out torque.

Entry Level

Throttle- HS-625MG $34.99
Steering- HS-645MG $31.99

Mid Range
I'm giving you two options for a mid range setup

1st Option
Throttle- HS-5625MG $52.99
Steering- HS-5645MG $52.99

2nd Option
Throttle- HS-965MG $69.99
Steering- HS-985MG $64.99

High End

Throttle- HS-5996TG $89.99
Steering- HS-5955TG $104.99

Also consider mixing and matching. Maybe get the high steering servo and a mid range throttle servo. Whatever suits your budget and needs.

Thanks, any equivalents to hitec as far as futaba goes or is that not recommended? Ordering the 3pm 2.4. Should I get a 1600nimh batt. pack? Will the hitecs fit the futaba receiver with no mods?

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Members online

Back