my truck wont shift to 2nd speed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faisalbasha

Mr Nonsensical
ok guys i installed a new reverse module on my savage and it works like a charm.

there is only one problem......my savage will not shift to second gear at all in fact it starts to shake when i go full throttle on the same speed.

i tried adjusting the second shift to take place earlier by turning the screw clockwise but i still get the same thing. NO SECOND SHIFT

any ideas???

would really appreciate some help

I forget how to adjust your screw settings but there is a ruber flap on the side of your tranny and when you open that there will be 2 screws. I think the one on the angle you adjust to set your shifting point!

Just go to or phone your LHS !

i know how to adjust the shifting point. What i don't know is my is my savage not shifting at all after trying to adjust the shifting point.

as a result of not shifting to second gear at a high speed, the truck shakes rapidly from the pressure at top speed.

Why is my savage not shifting..?????

They want you to make sure your slipper is present and not loose. So make sure the Spur is tight. Also, they want you to make sure that you have a good tuns as if it is running to rich it will not make RPM in order to shift to second gear. Hope this helps.

ok guys i checked the spur gear and its as tight as a rock. i checked the HSN and that is rich as well..

my truck is not choking at all....the engine is screaming but its just not shifting to second gear.

Are you starting from a stop and gradually increasing speed to see if the tranny is possibly shifting early? Other than making sure you are adjusting the correct screw in the tranny, I am kinda outta ideas to help you out bud.

the truck starts to shake right from the start....it doesnt wait till the engine goes to max rpm. the engine doesnt choke... the clutch and spur gear are fine.. again..the truck starts to shake almost shiver like motion when i start to press on the throttle. i adjusted the 2nd shift speed anti clockwise to make it sooner again but the same thing happens.. now i am REALLY CONFUSED..

this pickle needs an EXPERT for sure.

Since the problem started when you installed the reverse module, you could tear it back down, take out the reverse, put it back in and see if the problem is still there. If you change something, and all of a sudden something goes wrong or is not right, I go back to the last thing I did. If you do take it apart, maybe you will find the problem as you are tearing it down.

oh man I did not wanna hear that.. But sounds like the right thing to do.. Alright I'll see whY I can do

yeah bud, I hear ya on that. Nothing is more frustrating than spending a few hours doing something, only to have to break it back down again because I overlooked one small detail. Good luck bud and keep us posted.

yes i am starting gradually and slowly increasing speed.

Thanks guys i appreciate all the help and i think i am going to strip down the tranny again.. because the needles are ok, the engine idles fine and the wheels don't spin, acceleration is good everything sounds fine.

before you tear it down try turning the screw clockwise 360 degrees and see if that changes the speed and response of your truck. when the trucks come RTR the tranny settings could be a little off set from factory and you may have adjusted wrong way. meaning it may already be starting in second. it may be shaking because it is either starting in second or maybe way to rich still

Last edited by a moderator:
ok so you mean the tranny is set to second speed sooo late that its ignoring first shift and just starting at second.?

it is possible that this is happening.

thanks

can someone post up a picture where the screw is located for the 2nd speed adjustment. I have the savage 25 and pulled the big rubber stopper open, but i don't see any screw for adjustment. Thanks

You have to spin the spur gear until you see the hole in the gear, then you roll the wheels while holding the spur gear until you see the two screws. You screw into the screw that is at an angle. It's not the one that's direct center, it's the one next to it.

Latest posts

Members online

Back