MY IRC 1"+6mm LCG CHASSIS+MID TANK KIT+LST SHOCK BUILD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I came across a Savage X SS kit that was unfinished on Ebay back in the spring. It came with a bunch of pricey upgrades that I didn't want, so I sold all of that stuff and started collecting the parts that I did want. After selling all of the upgrades that came with the X SS kit, I basically got the kit for free! Sweet deal, eh? lol

After a lot of research, these are the parts I decided on:

-A Novarossi 528xrp engine (found on a local classified site, still new and unused for $225CAN)
-An XL 3 speed
-An IRC black anodized 1" rear + 6mm front extended 4mm thick LCG chassis set (includes engine plate, skid plate, TVP's, and all necessary Hex screws) *This TVP kit is not listed on their site, so I can't link to it*
-An IRC Mid tank mod kit with OFNA 250cc tank and Firestorm battery box options selected. This kit includes an awesome CNC'd acetal receiver box that mounts under the fuel tank plate. http://www.innovative-rc.com/produc...d=242&osCsid=b5257ce78fe21623531050ed9953f6d7 Receiver box only: http://www.innovative-rc.com/produc...d=227&osCsid=b5257ce78fe21623531050ed9953f6d7
-An IRC LST shock mounting kit for X arms http://www.innovative-rc.com/produc...d=288&osCsid=b5257ce78fe21623531050ed9953f6d7
-4 LST XXL shocks bought on Ebay
-A bunch of other bits and pieces from Tower hobbies.

I started by "De-purpleizing" the skid plates and suspension braces using Easy-Off oven cleaner. I also sandblasted the skid plates to give them a clean and unique finish.

IMG_2436.jpg

Pics of the very well made IRC chassis. Pretty, isn't it?

IMG_2449.jpg

IMG_2447.jpg

IMG_2443.jpg

The IRC receiver box/steering servo mount installed and the throttle servo relocated to the rear using supplied mounts from mid tank kit.

IMG_2452.jpg

IMG_2453.jpg

IMG_2455.jpg

The Firestorm battery box and KO Propo switch mounted to the front of it. The switch came with the X SS kit that I bought on Ebay.

IMG_2457.jpg

The receiver box all sealed up. I got everything hooked up without the use of servo extension wires, although the switch wire is stretched to the max. My Futaba FASST receiver barely fit in the box. This box definitely won't hold the stock receiver. IRC gives the required receiver dimensions on their site. I added an antenna mount to the lid so I could keep my short 2.4ghz antenna up as high as possible. The box seals up pretty well, but I will do my best to avoid spilling fuel!

IMG_2462.jpg

A better pic of the battery box and switch, as well as the HUGE LST shocks mounted! The IRC LST kit is awesome, but a bit heavy. I think it's worth it though. I went with plastic shocks to keep the weight down a bit.

IMG_2471.jpg

The OFNA 250cc tank and roll bar mounted. I had to do some dremel work on the roll bar to get it to work with the IRC chassis.

IMG_2479.jpg

40 series Mulchers and Axial oversize wheels (carry-overs from my old savy), engine, pipe installed and fuel lines run. The throttle and steering linkage setup was probably the hardest part of this build. It definitely took some time to get it right.

IMG_2500.jpg

IMG_2499.jpg

I installed a Tiger drive unit on my Nova 528xrp. I had to modify the chassis a little to make it work. That's it just under the header. It's much easier to get the starter shaft into than the rear rotostart system.

IMG_2497.jpg

*EDIT*: Here are a few pics of the Proline Revo 3.3/MGT size Chevy crew cab body. The length is perfect. I used Pactra Metallic Blue (2 cans), backed it with Indy Silver (1/2 can) and then "Limo tinted" the windows and painted the bed Outlaw Black. The Metallic Blue is very transparent, like a candy paint with metal flakes. I think I will go back to Metallic Black for my next body. 1 can of paint does the job. Easier, cheaper, and more fitting for my username! lol

IMG_2566.jpg

IMG_2549.jpg

IMG_2545.jpg

I have a set of 40 series Mashers on the way along with another set of my favorite Axial 8 spoke black wheels. I will try to get some more pics with those before I get them dirty and trash the body! lol

I'm really happy with how this build turned out. The Nova 528xrp is insane! I will probably beat on this Savage for a year or so, then sell it and build another! lol. This is my second Savy build in 18 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I think I might try my Big Joe's on this truck. The Mulchers look a little small.

Last edited by a moderator:
black +1 for sweet build & thread. i have a couple questions:

1. can you put a link to the receiver box so others can find it?
2. I'm wonderin if the stock Rx would fit if you took the circuit board out the plastic case it comes in.
3. did you mount your rear shocks on the inside for preference or is there another reason you dint mouont them on the back of the tower? (just wonderin).

sweet build. very different from most.

How's it run?

black +1 for sweet build & thread. i have a couple questions:

1. can you put a link to the receiver box so others can find it?
2. I'm wonderin if the stock Rx would fit if you took the circuit board out the plastic case it comes in.
3. did you mount your rear shocks on the inside for preference or is there another reason you dint mouont them on the back of the tower? (just wonderin).

sweet build. very different from most.

How's it run?

Thanks guys. The receiver box is designed to work with the IRC chassis, but you can probably make it work with other TVP's as well. I doubt the stock receiver circuit board would fit in the box, but I'm not sure. I will add links to the 1st post.

I mounted the rear shocks in front of the rear tower for 3 reasons.
1) I didn't want to swap the rear tie rods to the front or buy rear axle carriers that eliminate the need for rear toe links.
2) The leading edge of the suspension arm takes the hit from bumpy terrain, so that's the ideal place to mount the shocks.
3) The shocks are better shielded from crash damage that could occur if the shocks were exposed at the rear.

nice lookin truck.

you may want to get the front tires to toe-in ( / \ ) just a bit so you have better handling in corners.

Yeah, I still have some tweaking to do as far as tie rod length and suspension setup goes.

oic blacked. good idea. just wondering caz you don't see mounting like that a lot but you put some good thought into it and came up with a good idea. keep us posted.

shoot some video when you can.

thx for hookin us up with a link :resp:

Those are Hot Bodies "heatsink" chassis braces. I'm not sure how much heat they are exposed to down there, but they look good! lol. They came with the X SS kit I bought on Ebay along $300+ worth of KO Propo servos, the HPI savage suspension conversion set, HPI universal shafts with 17mm hub conversion, Integy a-arms and shock towers and a bunch of other crap. I have re-sold almost all of that except for the suspension conversion set, which I have listed on Ebay right now.

Hey, I have a question. I just checked IRC, and they only have the 1" + 6mm extended in the non-anodized version. How were you able to get it anodized?

Either they are out of stock or they discontinued the black anodized version. I think they are just out of stock. You can email the owner and ask him if he will be getting more in. I know he doesn't stock many anodized sets, so you have to be quick to order when they are in stock. The owners name is Robert.

I had a friend who ordered from Addicted2RC. He said he would never order from them again. Bad customer service. They sent him the wrong TVPs then blamed FLM for machining problems. He was able to fix it through FLMs customer service though.

I'll hit up IRC and ask what's gonna happen. Thanks BlackedOutSavy!

i got some stuff through them and they were awesome. i was told to expect bad however, i selected the wrong ones when i purchased. miss clicked i guess and they changed it for me (std to ext) for free. they caught it cause i had the ext skid so they never shipped till they got a hold of me. overall a +.
*note SMF is still the ultimate place to get stuff and far quicker shipping. you the man nick.

Thanks. I'm happy with how the build turned out. I want to get some good pics with the new 40 series Masher tires before I trash the body! lol

Cool, I was thinking about doing a body Metallic Black with Gloss Black windows so the windows look a bit different than the paint job. I like the blacked out look, but it seems like it might look wierd if it was all the exact same color.

Yeah. black windows don't work on a black body. It just looks like you were too lazy to put the window masks on! lol. I leave my windows clear on black bodies.

Latest posts

Members online

Back