MY IRC 1"+6mm LCG CHASSIS+MID TANK KIT+LST SHOCK BUILD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I landed my savy upside down from about 10ft in the air with a full tank (OFNA 250cc) and the tank cracked open along the bottom. I'm thinking the weight of the fuel ripped the tank apart on impact? I bought another on Ebay, but if this happens again I will switch tanks. The OFNA is pretty thin and brittle. It was designed for on-road use, not off-road abuse.

A buddy of mine had the same problem with the ofna tank, when I put the new one in for him I used 1/4 inch rubber spacers and it seems to have held up so far.

I was thinking about putting foam tape or something under the tank to help absorb impacts. Did you put the rubber under the mounting screws?

i never had this problem but i mounted the tank with the hellfire tank mounts & it doesnt touch the plate. wonder if that would make a difference.

I don't think mine touches the plate either. I just think the weight of a full tank of fuel was to much to contain. It landed upside down on the rear left corner from 10ft in the air, so the shocks weren't able to absorb the landing! lol. I'm thinking it was just a fluke. I will try and think of ways to reinforce the tank a bit while I'm waiting for the new one to come in the mail. I was wondering about using Plastidip on the bottom of the tank or something. That stuff is a bit pricey though.

I'm thinking you may have gotten a tank from a bad mould or something. only reason i say is caz bankrupter jumps that berm a good 20 feet of air over & over again with same tank & it no breakage.

is there a seam or something where the tank broke? gotta pic?

I started with a 3/8 and cut about an 1/8 off and put one piece on either side, cant remember which is on top will have to check this weekend.

Sweet build dude, well done.

Yeah definitely get some "Fat Boys" or something like that to mount the tank.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...-3mm-Shock-Absorbing-O-Rings-for-Fuel-Tanks-8

Use one either side like this.
DSCF0474-1.jpg

But like frddy said could have been a bad tank.
Good luck mate, hope the new tank lasts.

Nice truck man how is that novarossi motor is it worth the extra $$

I'm thinking you may have gotten a tank from a bad mould or something. only reason i say is caz bankrupter jumps that berm a good 20 feet of air over & over again with same tank & it no breakage.

is there a seam or something where the tank broke? gotta pic?

The tank didn't break at the seam. It cracked right along the bottom edge.

Nice truck man how is that novarossi motor is it worth the extra $$

Thanks. The Novarossi is insane! It revs higher than a stock Picco .28 as far as I can tell. It was clocked at 40mph just before it went airborne! lol. I found the Nova on a local classified site brand new for $225 Canadian (~$200US), so it didn't really cost me any more than a Picco .28 or LRP .30 would have.

Do you have a TowerHobbies link to the steering post i guess you can say you used ??
(The blue thing) LOL !

Thank

very cool setup. Love the tiger drive. Very few I recall have ever done it. Great build

Are those TVP the same size as a stock savageXL tvp? just wanted to know so i can buy them and know what size they will look like :) thank you ,alsooooooooooooooooooooo very sweet build buddy i was going to buy the same set up but no i quess you can tell me the size lol.keep up the good work

Thats what Ive been looking for a nice clean set up in the front. where can I get all that stuff from the steering servo conversion and other stuff? mad props on the build I hope to get the same and make mine just as nice.

Never mind all them questions the links have been changed but I found what I need. But I still do have 2 questions, With the midtank mod kit can I still turn all the steering set up linkage etc? I hope because I would like to get that up out of the way. My other is with the batt. box I am running a hump pack with a spectrum reciver will all that fit?
Heres the links since its been changed.

midtank kit:

http://www.innovative-rc.com/innovativerc-tank-p-312.html
the part number for that item is:071102-4

the black tvp's link:

http://www.innovative-rc.com/black-anodized-1inch-back-front-extended-p-334.html

item number is: ext1+6-blk

Hope this helps anyone else looking for this mod that I think is very nice and hope I'm not stepping on anyones feet buy reposting the information.

Like a bat out of hell! lol. I'm not running LST shocks anymore though. They are too mushy and they made the truck harder to control. I also had to limit my steering range with the 40 series tires because they would rub on the shocks. I'm using stock shocks with 20 wt Team Associated silicone oil. Handling is much improved and it soaks up big air landings with ease. The Nova engine is ballistic on 25% fuel. I like it better than my old Picco .28. I need to get some video of it at some point.

Hey Savy i watched all your videos on youtube you might remember me, my youtube user is burtonkidd.

Ill suggest the hpi big bores with 35w - 40w oil there amazing.
I run 40w and never had a problem with them bottoming out to bad.

The stock shocks work well and are really cheap to replace. I have only ever broken one anyway. I had a Savage Flux with the big bores and they were nice, but I like the 8 shock look better.

Like a bat out of hell! lol. I'm not running LST shocks anymore though. They are too mushy and they made the truck harder to control. I also had to limit my steering range with the 40 series tires because they would rub on the shocks. I'm using stock shocks with 20 wt Team Associated silicone oil. Handling is much improved and it soaks up big air landings with ease. The Nova engine is ballistic on 25% fuel. I like it better than my old Picco .28. I need to get some video of it at some point.

Good to hear and nice to see you posting again !!! I run my 528 on 25 also. Always like that mill over all of them. Any vids ?

I haven't had much $$$ to spend on R/C this year, so I haven't been bashing much. No vids yet, but hopefully next summer. I'm out of fuel and not buying another jug now.

I actually went all summer without spending ANYTHING on R/C! It was HARD! lol

The 528 is finicky to tune on anything but 25%. That is what it is set up for from the factory I believe. I use O'Donnel medium heat plugs too. I think it came with a hot plug and I couldn't get it to idle right. I had to set the LSN REALLY rich to get rid of detonation and that caused it to flood if I let it idle for a few seconds.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back