More Shredded Gears! Not funny any more! Serious Help please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J1A1H

I love tinkering with my savage!!! But currently i am having to take it apart every day and I am having big problems with my savage tranny and gearing!!!!​
:nono:

I have noticed My gears are dying very quickly! Gears are having to be changed every 5 runs or so. My pinion has held up for 8 runs and now i have stripped it... It was using a hardened one too, not stock! This is not due to bad gear mesh... It is due to very quick wear. The spur seems just fine but i could see how quickly the pinion was wearing.​

My tranny is causing problems too, the lightweight gears keep stripping so now i am just using stock gears as they are cheaper to replace and it looks as if the better contact area works better (NO problems with the HD Drive gear and 39t Idler, the 39t is looking as new! but the HD Drive gear will need replacing very soon, but has held out quite well)

I am eventually going to look into an centre diff conversion as to get rid of the extra gears set up in a tranny....... I feel this is the only way to reduce the number of possibilities where things could fail. So i will need help with choosing the correct diff and mount very soon.... (If anyone wants to shed some light regarding this, please do so.)

But for now

can anyone point me in the direction of the strongest pinion gears made by anyone please... i know they are meant to wear out but not in less than 10 runs!​

From what i have observed....
The motor has a lot of torque and the weight of the truck is quite heavy. The motor has no problem getting the truck moving but all that strain is being put on the gears. There have to be gears out there that can cope with this strain???
I'm willing to pay for reliability! I haven't been bashing hard as you have seen in the videos (No jumps or anything as of yet) (Diffs have been doing great.... These BP Diffs are very strong i guess!)

i forget which packs your running (6s?)

first thing I'd do is get that 39t idler gear outta there and go back to the stock.
lower gearing gonna put a lot less stress on everything.

I got 5s stock pinion, spur & tranny gear & all seems good on 13#+ truck.

I like the stock hpi pinion, it is hard & strong.

Frddy, remember i am running a much lower KV motor so if i use the stock idler gear then my top speed goes doesn to 35mph, right now i am happy at 50mph on 6s. So the 39t is not going to come out. It is the only way of keeping my top speed at a respectable speed.
This is why i was looking at a centre diff build soon to get rid of the gears in teh tranny, so i can just run my pinion directly to the diff gear...

There is no strain on the motor or esc with my gearing as i am running temps of 110-120 degrees on a HOT day aswell... usually it runs cooler, so anything lower i feel will cause the motor to overheat as the gearing would be too low.

I'm using Robinson Racing 18t pinion harden gear right now. no strip and running good. Have you ever tried the Robinson Racing ? if not give it a go. Are you running 6s setup ?

looks like people keep pointing me that way... Ill keep an eye out. Yes i am running 6s.

I am starting to consider running a plastic spur. This way i will be able to swap out the gear easily and very quickly. Plus they are cheaper than hardened pinions.

Latest posts

Members online

Back