MikeK1981's 5T

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha no problem mad. Yeah it came with this chassis, and yes I ordered 3 Hostile spurs in 57 tooth. Hopefully they will hold up better than the other. They were only ten bucks but still, if I eat them up too fast thats 30 bucks I could have thrown at a steel spur. You can get an HPI steel spur which is that same setup as the new PCSC, minus the slipper assembly.

Thought I'd add some pics with the Darksoul Axle Extenders that the GF got me for xmas. Also threw new clutch shoes and Hostile spur on it.

DSCN0127.jpg

DSCN0128.jpg

DSCN0126.jpg

DSCN0125.jpg

Thanks a lot man! I'm very happy with it. Love the new stance of it. need to find a better way to keep the pins in the rear extenders. Had one come out after about 15 minutes of hard running. It just has O rings to hold them in and they just aren't permanent enough for me. If you see or hear of any other mods for this problem let me know.

Yeah I had the screw in, but I didn't loctite it. It didn't come out but it didn't stay quite tight enough either. I got a heavy amount of blue on it now and I'm gonna run a wide ziptie around the o-ring too. The tie pinching the o-ring should keep it in place. Thanks for the tip though.

nice looking t mike those axle extenders are awesome . I'm gonna go out on a limb and say its prob the sweetest baja on hpisf right now

Punk:moon:

But i do have to agree its one NICE baja.
-The extenders look better on the truck then on the buggy imo.:dunno:

haha, thanks. I figure I've done just about everything that I want to do to it at this point. Time to start saving for a motor. I'm leaning towards an OBR 29.5 FM LR!

Got all the HD gears for the trans for xmas. So I ordered the TR diff case saver and a full TFE pro bearing kit plus some other odds and ends to rebuild the whole tranny. Also got a killer deal from someone on HBF for a CY 2 bolt long block motor, already built, all brand new with the 28.5cc headkit. Figure for the price this will hold me over until I decide on which FM engine I want, and save up for it. I'll post some pics of the rebuild, and hopefully some vid of the results. I should get the motor tomorrow and the stuff from DDM the day after, I hope at least. I'm gonna try and start tearing it down tomorrow.

Nothing is wrong with it, it rips pretty good but I want a little more torque. I run at the dunes a lot, and when I'm on dirt I've noticed a big difference in the performance after I flipped the clutch shoes. It hits really early and the truck pulls but there is a hesitation now in the first half of the rev range, then the revs suddenly peak to redline. It's like the stronger clutch engagement is causing extra strain on the motor which is making it harder to pull through the bottom half of the power band. Once the truck gets going then it just revs to the moon, I just don't like that flat spot in the power when taking off from a stop or coming out of a corner. It's really not a big deal, just something I noticed after flipping the shoes. I wasn't going to do anything about it necessarily but then I came across this brand new built motor for such a good deal, from a re####ble seller on HBF , I figured I'd have a brand new motor this way with a bit more torque to boot. I got the truck used and don't really know what this 26 has been through. I'll have a new motor to play with and gain some experience with the baja, while I contemplate over getting a FM engine. I do eventually want something with a four bolt head for reliability but if I'm going to go with a zen motor I may as well save up and go all out, and end up with the motor I really want in the long run.

It's not an issue with the carb, it never had any problems until I flipped the shoes and thats the only thing that I changed. The truck is completely torn down now. The motor should be here today and I'm gonna do the mesh mod to it and install teh clutch housing, flywheel, ignition etc. I've got the trans out and the HD gears ready to go, just need my package from DDM for bearings and the TR case saver. I thought it was gonna get here today also but now I'm not so sure. May have to wait until tuesday to finish it up.

yup I flipped my shoes and instead of the clutch slipping to a higher rev it locks and the motor has to pull harder through the low mid.These little weedwacker cabs have an idle and wot circuit but nothing for the mid other than richen up the low,so I put a 813 on it and the accelerator pump has it pulling like a freight train all the way through
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.4103/.f

thats a good looking model you have by the way

Thanks man. I'll have to look into one of those carbs in the future. Right now I've got two 668's, one of which is brand new, so I'm just gonna throw that new one on for now.

Figured I'd update this thread with some pics of all the TR stuff, axle extenders, and I just got the Quick Diff rebuilt with new TFE Pro series bearings and a TR diff case saver. Also added a brand new CY 28.5.

IMG_1633.jpg

IMG_1634.jpg

IMG_1635.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

IMG_1637.jpg

IMG_1638.jpg

IMG_1639.jpg

IMG_1640.jpg

IMG_1644.jpg

DSCN0126.jpg

DSCN0127.jpg

DSCN0128.jpg

DSCN0130.jpg

DSCN0131.jpg

DSCN0133.jpg

DSCN0134.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

013.jpg

015.jpg

Thanks man! I just realized I may have doubled up on some of the pics from earlier in the thread but there is no edit button to fix it anymore, my bad lol!

Also added a full set of HPI HD gears to the tranny as well.

Just did a homemade version of this mod:

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.8052/.f

Cost me about $2 plus tax at the hardware store. I'll try to get a couple pics up tomorrow. Works great so far, got the 28.5cc broken in today and reset my carb needles to approximately where I will be running them. Gonna run it again tomorrow and put a final tune on it. Don't think I'll be breaking the P.S. cord anymore lol. Broke 4 times on me trying to get the new motor started up the first time with all the extra compression and rich fuel setting.

Got the 28.5 broken in, so I took it out to the dunes today. Seems to bog a little on the bottom end. I'm thinking this may be because of the flipped clutch shoes and 20 tooth drive gear. What do you guys think? Let me know if the tune sounds good to you guys. Seems to rev out good. I haven't checked the plug for color yet.

DSCN0354.jpg

top sounds sweet , bottom ...just a little lean maybe??? when it gets its revs up she pulls good . Thats a nice looking model and great vid (they told me to turn the volume down like 5 times) so later they get to listen to it some more lol

PS did you have that little tip on the stinger in the vid? my DOM didnt do good with anything on it...maybe something to try

Yeah I do have it on there but it is cut so short that it is basically even with the tip on the bottom and the top just extends out a little to help angle the exhaust a little bit. Doesn't really change the tip length. Just acts like a deflector. It was on there before when I had the 26cc, the 19 tooth drive gear, and the non-flipped clutch shoes. Never bogged before. The only thing that is different is the motor, 20 tooth drive gear, and flipped clutch shoes. I'll try richening the LSN 1/16 of a turn and see how that does.

Latest posts

Members online

Back