Mid tank question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teknoron

Looking at some of the post of some of the coolest Savages I have seen. The mid-tank mod is one that I am looking into. Can this mod be done with the standard Savage X chassis, the GPM Racing Extended chassis or the Hotbodies Extended chassis. Thanks!!!!

Mid tank can be done on any chassis, just the way things mount will be slightly different.

What style are you looking to do?

i will leave this to jt because he knows every thing there is to know about mid tanks!!
4x4

Mid tank can be done on any chassis, just the way things mount will be slightly different.

What style are you looking to do?
Style? I race on road with my Savage X, OS 30, 40 series Road Rage and the Fuel tubing shock mod, truck is lowered to ¼ to ½ inch off the ground. With the current stock tank I can run 8 ½ minutes before I need fueling. The race consist of a 5 min warm up, then the quailfers are 5 min and the main is 5 min. I want to extend the chassis a little, that is why I have been looking at the GPM and the Hotbodies. Want to keep the same size or a little bigger tank for extended run times. What do you suggest?

Last edited by a moderator:
Using a bigger tank isnt a problem... there isnt much choice out there for tanks above 160cc with a flip top lid.

I will give you some links to the ones I have used

click me -->CEN 220cc

click me -->Aqua Craft 180cc

click me -->Aqua Craft 180cc Tottz's truck

click me -->Ofna 250cc "Anger Management"

Other tanks I have used include Ofna 125cc, Ofna 145cc, Ofna 150cc, CEN 150cc, Hellfire 150cc, Mugen 150cc.

As for TVP's (chassis) choice I would look into any LCG TVP, your looking at the Hot Bodies and GPM extended and they will raise your center of gravity over the X TVP's you have now.

There is many companies that make LCG (low center of gravity) TVP's; some extended and some stock length, if your running a tight course I would stick to a length close to stock to keep your turing radius down.

I was looking to do an extended Chassis for that extra bit of stability. Our track is 2 tennis courts. We do have some very tight turns, which is the reason I slammed the truck to about a ¼ inch off the ground and have heavy springs and light oil. I have the speed, but it seems to me that I don’t have the maneuverability as the Revo’s out there. Have just started using my brakes in a drag brake setup, so when I let off the gas it starts to slow down, have picked up some extra laps with that setup. Think with the mid tank mod, it will also help with the stability in the tight turns. I was also not just looking at the extended TVP but a heavier duty standard length plate also. Get some incredible speeds on this track at times and have had some nasty slams, have bent a couple TVP’s. so the question being, should I look at an extended TVP for stability, make it the same size as the Revo. Or work on my control more, and opt for a heavy duty TVP to protect the internals better. And is there a benefit at having a stiffer chassis?

By the way here is what the track looks like to give you an idea of what i am racing around.
http://www.sarcar-inc.org

I was looking to do an extended Chassis for that extra bit of stability. Our track is 2 tennis courts. We do have some very tight turns, which is the reason I slammed the truck to about a ¼ inch off the ground and have heavy springs and light oil. I have the speed, but it seems to me that I don’t have the maneuverability as the Revo’s out there. Have just started using my brakes in a drag brake setup, so when I let off the gas it starts to slow down, have picked up some extra laps with that setup. Think with the mid tank mod, it will also help with the stability in the tight turns. I was also not just looking at the extended TVP but a heavier duty standard length plate also. Get some incredible speeds on this track at times and have had some nasty slams, have bent a couple TVP’s. so the question being, should I look at an extended TVP for stability, make it the same size as the Revo. Or work on my control more, and opt for a heavy duty TVP to protect the internals better. And is there a benefit at having a stiffer chassis?

By the way here is what the track looks like to give you an idea of what i am racing around.
http://www.sarcar-inc.org
Lets talk about turning for a second, I used my dremel to shave parts of my carriers and steering hubs. This is turn improves the savages turning alot. My wheels now turn so far the the tire will rub against the shock spring. As for TVP's I say get the stock length FLM TVP's.

Lets talk about turning for a second, I used my dremel to shave parts of my carriers and steering hubs. This is turn improves the savages turning alot. My wheels now turn so far the the tire will rub against the shock spring. As for TVP's I say get the stock length FLM TVP's.

And no loss in durability? Being able to cut into turns sharper would be great. I have my front wheels toed in some instead of having the toed out like most. It forces the truck to drive straight as you release the controler. The high torque servo snaps it straight. Down side, turn radius is not turn on the dime. And the reason i toed it in was that the track itself and the OS 30 power house caused the truck to be a little squirrelly when you punched the throttle.

And no loss in durability? Being able to cut into turns sharper would be great. I have my front wheels toed in some instead of having the toed out like most. It forces the truck to drive straight as you release the controler. The high torque servo snaps it straight. Down side, turn radius is not turn on the dime. And the reason i toed it in was that the track itself and the OS 30 power house caused the truck to be a little squirrelly when you punched the throttle.

No loss of durability at all. If you wouldn't mind waiting I will post my truck in a few days and make sure to take pics of the hubs.

No loss of durability at all. If you wouldn't mind waiting I will post my truck in a few days and make sure to take pics of the hubs.

That would be great! We race every other weekend, not really worried about the final 2 races of the series, would rather see this kid who has been working really hard to get the 3rd place trophy. My plans are to give the kid who is in 1st place a hard time, has a real bad sportsmanship attitude. He is a good driver, but I cant keep up with his Revo in the turns. In the straightaway I blow right past him. Which is why I am here, that by the beginning of the next series, it will be like a whole different truck out there.

That would be great! We race every other weekend, not really worried about the final 2 races of the series, would rather see this kid who has been working really hard to get the 3rd place trophy. My plans are to give the kid who is in 1st place a hard time, has a real bad sportsmanship attitude. He is a good driver, but I cant keep up with his Revo in the turns. In the straightaway I blow right past him. Which is why I am here, that by the beginning of the next series, it will be like a whole different truck out there.

Okay once you see my savage I think you will want to try some of the things I did. Since I see what you are doing with your savage I think you need to.......
-Keep weight down
-Have good mid-range to low-end speed
-Have a LCG low center of gravity

BTW FLM sells extended arms which would increase weight but reduce rollovers. I'll get pics sometime.

BTW FLM sells extended arms which would increase weight but reduce rollovers. I'll get pics sometime.

WOW!!! very nice!!! That is definitly not in my budget at this time. Plus I would like to beat the Revo's without spending the price of a Revo to do it.

I was thinking Extended Chassis, make it as long as the Revo for stability, the mid tank mod and room for me to yank the roto start when it fouls up on me. Drawback if I get hit something will break. I have been hit a couple good times from “PRO’s” that have snapped shock towers and bent the mess out of the TVP. Would not it be better to have a thicker, heavier TVP? Not good for jumping, but on-road?

FXStronside can you show us some of your work I'd like to get a little better turning out of mine to..pleeeeaaaassssee.

Using a bigger tank isnt a problem..

I will give you some links to the ones I have used

click me -->CEN 220cc

Well I have decided on the Cen 220cc tank. I should be able to fuel up, run the warm up and not have to worry bout refueling. Think I will plasti dip the servo in its new location next to the engine, just to keep the oil and fuel off of it. The chassis is still up in the air. Too many to choose from, and a lot of good info from everyone. It is a tight track, an extended chassis might do more harm then good. I had used some RPM offset rims and kept traction rolling in the hairpins, part my fault coming in too hot. Do they make extenders for the 23mm adapters? Now that light be the ticket with the 23mm and my 40 series.

Ok found the 23mm extenders doing a search in the forum. those and the steering mod from Fxstrongside sounds like a good

Well I have decided on the Cen 220cc tank. I should be able to fuel up, run the warm up and not have to worry bout refueling. Think I will plasti dip the servo in its new location next to the engine, just to keep the oil and fuel off of it. The chassis is still up in the air. Too many to choose from, and a lot of good info from everyone. It is a tight track, an extended chassis might do more harm then good. I had used some RPM offset rims and kept traction rolling in the hairpins, part my fault coming in too hot. Do they make extenders for the 23mm adapters? Now that light be the ticket with the 23mm and my 40 series.

dunno what your local club's race rules are, but you might check into them...alot of races limit the tank size...plus, bigger tank = more weight...

I've got a CEN 220 that I decided against for my race truck for that very reason...it's gonna go on my next project though...

dunno what your local club's race rules are, but you might check into them...alot of races limit the tank size...plus, bigger tank = more weight...

Tank size is not in the rules, the rules for our track are a modified version of ROAR but not as strict, should know because I am one of the board members. We run a 5 min warm up, then qualifiers and mains are 5 min each. Most of the time I don’t have a pit man, so I know I can run 8 ½ min on a tank, I just wait till there is like 2 min of warm up left before I start my truck. Downside my OS 30 is a pig when it is cold. So by using the 220cc, after running the 5 min warm up, she should be ready to rock, and by tuning the truck at half a tank, I should not have to worry bout the half tank lean near the end of the race. Theoretically I should start and end the race at about the same temp. Plus I will be carrying around bout the same amount of fuel as if I fueled up just before the start of the race. And after looking at the pics over and over and over and over. I liked the overall look and fit of the 220cc. but you did bring up a good point, and it may look good on paper and theory, I might find different when racing on the track. Thanks for the heads up!

I'll post some pictures in a hour or so. I can see you want to get the ball rolling.

First a few pics of my truck.
DSC03196.jpg

DSC03197.jpg

DSC03198.jpg

DSC03199.jpg

You can shave the bumpers and the steering knuckles to save weight.
DSC03200.jpg

DSC03201.jpg

DSC03203.jpg

Alright, all we are doing are shaving the plastic and you can use a razer or a dremel or anything that cuts or grinds. I used a dremel. Heres what needs to be done to do the mod.
DSC03204.jpg

Shave both sides of the carriers.

DSC03205.jpg

DSC03206.jpg

Next shave both sides of the knuckles.
DSC03210.jpg

DSC03211.jpg

DSC03212.jpg

DSC03213.jpg

Once the plastic is shaved off you will have a better turning radius and may be able to keep up with the revos. Compare your stock carriers and knuckles to my modded ones and you will see the difference this is an easy effective mod that will make a big difference in the handling of your truck.

DSC03215.jpg

Hey FX.
Thats a really Cool mod, bud.
Thanks for sharing it with us. I guess the thing to remember is to reset your steering end points to take advantage of the new turnning radius range.

I don't know about the stock radio's that comes with the Savages, but on other TX's, this adjustment is avaliable.

====================== Well done, FX.=======================

It is a great mod and is night and day in difference on the steering. It is done to all of mine slightly different than FX but the same idea.

Awesome!!!! after saturdays race i will definitly do this. If I had an extra day or two I would do it before the race, then have some time getting used to the modded steering. So during my clean up on sunday, i will do the steering mod. Thanks for showing it off!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Back