MacsPro Marine Tuned Pipe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcam54

First off I have to say thanks to Robin...aka...purenitro! With out his help/tutorial I would not have attempted this pipe.

Here we go...I was looking for a good tuned pipe for my rb mod sts d30m and a soon to be extreme rc mods sts d30m, also it should work well on several other 28/30+ motors. Now there are several different pipes to choose from but I stuck with the #1325 marine pipe suggested by Robin.

Here is a link to the MacsPro Marine Pipe line up http://www.macspro.com/marinetunedpipes.asp

#1325 marine pipe is about 13 inches in legnth and will need to trimed to fit and a pressure fitting installed.

macspipe003.jpg

Here is the directions/tutorial pic that Robin mocked up for my little project

macspipe0031.jpg

pretty straight forward there in the pic....

#1)
You will have to trim the pipe down to size (as to why these measurements...honestly I'm not sure but Robin from www.extremercmods.com came up with these numbers and I trust his experience with nitro motors, tuneing, and modding).
The stinger can be cut down to a minimum of 3/4" to fit a silicone deflecter to keep the oil/spent fuel off of your truck since this is a straight through design.
Next is the header side of the pipe. You need to trim 4" from the band (widest/fatest portion) of the pipe.

#2)
The pressure fitting must be placed at the band of the pipe...the fatest/widest portion of the pipe. Now you can use several different kinds of fittings to position the exhaust pressure line to the tank in the poper location for your application (stock savage fuel tank/midtank mod). I used a MacsPro 90 degree fitting like this one http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXZ661&P=7
The 90 degree bend will help protect your line from getting riped off and it is a stronger fitting. I sealed up the fitting with Permatex Copper RTV, but any good high heat RTV will work or if you want to go a step further you can use "jb weld" you must make sure you use the HIGH TEMP jb weld, as some of the jb weld products only hold up to @ 190f...read your labels! No point to have a sweet pipe and blow your motor or chase that tune because of a tank pressure issue!

Helpfull install tip.....
After drilling the hole for the fitting I found it easy to use a large zip tie with a clump of putty/clay (in my case I used "clay magic" bar for automotive detailing--it is tacky and holds the fitting well) I pressed the fitting into the clay/putty and then pressed it onto the boxed end of the zip tie. I was then able to snake it into the pipe and into place.

#3)
You can use the stock HPI Savage header with this pipe and the silicone coupler.
Here is the best part...you can tune the pipe....by sliding the coupler farther onto the pipe you can change the characteristics of the pipe (torque/mid/top end). Just tweak it down with zip ties in the location for the tune you are looking for.

Here is some finished pics compareing the STS 0702 tuned pipe and the MacsPro Marine #1325

macspipecomplete001.jpg

macspipecomplete002.jpg

Now this short vid/sound clip is courtesy of Robin (purenitro) and it is of a smaller pipe for a different motor (If I recall correctly it is the Macspro #1120 aero pipe found here.... http://www.macspro.com/tunedpipes.asp) as you can see it is loud! And if you have seen his budies video of his yellow wheely king savage then you've seen these pipes in action!

Now all I am doing is waiting for the weekend to test and see how it goes...I'll keep you guys informed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome, I can't wait to see more from this thread. From what I have heard these are the way to go however there loud as can be (Neighbors may kill).

it does sound loud but looked liked it really flew past the house thats for sure!! am looking forward myself to hearing more about this!!!

Sticky?

Great thread J-Cam! I got the same pipe recommendation from Robin & you just saved him several questions from me regarding the set up.
I'm thinkin' that this thread would be a great sticky cuz i can see him gettin' busy with mods for peeps on this site & when they ask what pipe to use, this thread answers all the questions.
excellent thread jc, cant wait to see & hear some vids of your final set up ... + rep bro.

Awesome sound, what are the benefits of using this type pipe? Is it good for only modded engines? Does it lack on the low or top end say vs a regular pipe? You got my attention on this. Should I hook up with robin to figure which pipe will work best with what I have going on? I have 2 modded engines coming from Robin

Looking forward to seeing your vid this weekend.

Well from what I understand the #1325 pipe is a great all around pipe and is "tuned" by slideing it in and out of the coupler...adds or decreases overall pipe length. Now as for my motors yes they are modded but I really don't see why you couldn't run them on unmodded motors. It should be the same as running a THS pipe on a stock lrp and then on a modded lrp...you will see the difference.

]-[op...as for your motors I would suggest the #1325 for both, it can handle motors from the range of 3.5cc (.21-.32). I just need to find a camera man for this weekend and it's on for the vids. I have a second pipe on the way so hopefully I'll have that one built for the vids too...now if I finish my basher by then I'll have two trucks up and running with MacsPro pipes. I'm going to try it on my K5.9 too and see how it goes. More to come!

And thanks for the props guys...send alot to purenitro (Robin) too!

That's a great write up jcam, very nice job :) I have been running these pipes for over 7 years in different RC's, they will work on stock or modded engines with no problems. The gains depends on what you were running before you put it on, from my expierience there is no other pipe that compairs to the macs pipe. The straight through design lets the pipe work to it's full potential, a richer setting is usualy required and they are VERY loud... the only downfalls I have found, and I can live with that lol.

They are tuneable like jcam mentioned by simply lengthening or shortening the gap between the header and pipe, this way you can do torque or rpm settings or both. Most of the truck vids we have made are useing the macs pipe, about the only time we don't run them is in town.

Brian, I think your engines would do very well on the pipe, I haven't seen one yet that didn't

looks good on there jc & lookin' forward to your vids...also want to hear your feedback on the deflector & the exhaust & fuel....

Well that dubro deflrctor on there bit the dust was cut in half..too thin.

I did "roll" the header side of the pipe, used pliers and slightly bent the end of the pipe outwards to get a better grip on the coupler/ziptie.

here is one of the first runs with the rb mod sts d30m, Now somethings wrong with the trans...tried to tune the shift and no go it is stuck in one of the gears the whole time..played with that set screw for about a solid hour, I'm gonna tear it down and see whats up might need a rebuild of the trans.

here's another one broke my header spring...lucky I had extra!

Here is a bunch of vids edited together.

I really like this pipe, it is loud and sounds good imo. The sound quality is not the best and does not give you the real "feel" for the pipes loudness. I found it to open up the sts alot and need to fix that tranny! It's really gonna fly with a new one or a 3spd!

The test on the k5.9 fell short due to a nasty leak that I couldn't fix on site so stay tuned!...the basher is almost done so the k5.9 will go into it with cen diffs, flm bulks, flm ext lcg tvps, and hpi big bore shocks.

I have another video but need to edit it before I upload it...5 min max on vid uploads through my host site...bummer!

Just watched the first vid, but it looks like she covers ground pretty quick. Nice adding the mount pics. I cant give you more rep yet. Gotta spread it more, but you deserve it with this thread.

You did a realy great job with this thread buddy. Pretty much covered all angles of the "how to" on this pipe. Next thing to work on is how to tune the pipe, it looks like your realy close in the vids. The next step is to move the pipe closer to the header for your next vids so we can see and compare the difference, I'm sure there is still more power and rpm ready to be unleashed in that mill with the right set up on the pipe. I look forward to seeing more vids in the near future.

Btw in the vid I was running 20/47 gearing on the sts and 18/47 on the k5.9, and a trans that would not shift (brake cam was ripped out of place), not to mention my melted bran new nova clutch shoes.

Nova clutch shoes

basherbuildpics006.jpg

Damage to trans

basherbuildpics005.jpg

basherbuildpics004.jpg

basherbuildpics003.jpg

Btw in the vid I was running 20/47 gearing on the sts and 18/47 on the k5.9, and a trans that would not shift (brake cam was ripped out of place), not to mention my melted bran new nova clutch shoes.

Nova clutch shoes

basherbuildpics006.jpg

Damage to trans

how that all happen bro? i like your thinkin' take out the brakes to make it go faster.... kinda how the choppers (bikes) were born in the 60's; guys took off the front brakes, fenders & other "non-essentials" cuz it was all about going faster....lol

Can't see how that would affect performance, lol. That's some pretty bad carnage, can't wait to see it rip once you have it all fixed up bud.

Considering the rpm range of the sts's I would run a 17/47 combo, it won't be near as hard on the clutches as the 20/47 is.

I forget which Eng it was but when it started shifting yesterday it was pretty impressive. That freakin pipe is the loudest thing I've ever heard on RC.

That was the sts Parker...and man did it start to fly! I was running 18/49 and 2 1.0 springs and 1 1.1 spring.
I'll try the 17/47 gearing next! Thanks for the advice AGAIN Robin! You da MAN!

That engine was runnng with much more torque then the last vid, looks great, did you shorten the gap? looks like it. Looks like it hits hard when you had it out on the road, just stood right up..... nice.

Yep I sure did, shortened it up and ran the stock .25/.28 header. Ran awsome imo! Thanks for all the help!!! Can't wait to send you that other sts!!!

Yep I sure did, shortened it up and ran the stock .25/.28 header. Ran awsome imo! Thanks for all the help!!! Can't wait to send you that other sts!!!

yeah with that pipe it runs like a champ, I'm gonna start calling it the chew chew train mod, the truck has smoke coming out the front of the truck...

but yeah i was impressed... oh and if you like loud this is the pipe for you

Latest posts

Members online

Back