Looking to swap out esc/motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GGR_Mike

So has anyone put a MMP 4600 kv system in their XS?

I haven't, but with a 4600 kV motor you'd almost definitely have to gear down to avoid heat issues, even on 2S. I feel that the stock gearing is a bit too tall even for the 4000kV motor it comes with.

If I were going to swap out my motor/ESC, I'd use the MMP ESC with the Castle 1410 1Y 3800kv motor.

I haven't, but with a 4600 kV motor you'd almost definitely have to gear down to avoid heat issues, even on 2S. I feel that the stock gearing is a bit too tall even for the 4000kV motor it comes with.
It definitely is. That's the issue I'm having. Heat issues which result in a short runtime. So I'm gathering ideas to resolve this issue with adequate pricing. Right now I have a hobbywing in there which I'm going to take out of it because it's doing he same thing and I don't want to ruin it because I'd like to put it in my redcat one day.

The cheapest option right now would probably be to just drop the gearing. I'm currently running the 60-tooth idler with the 26-tooth pinion, and the heat hasn't been so bad with the stock motor and ESC. I run 2S batteries only and the truck is still plenty fast.

The cheapest option right now would probably be to just drop the gearing. I'm currently running the 60-tooth idler with the 26-tooth pinion, and the heat hasn't been so bad with the stock motor and ESC. I run 2S batteries only and the truck is still plenty fast.
Just may do that. I only run 2s on my XS as well. I've heard horror stories about them on 3s but then again, I don't launch off superman ramps and whatnot. What is your runtime with the gear drop?

I've never timed the runs, but I'd guess about 30 minutes or so for standard bashing, and maybe 20-25 at the big field where I can spend a lot of time on the throttle. I'm using 7500mAh packs.

I've never timed the runs, but I'd guess about 30 minutes or so for standard bashing, and maybe 20-25 at the big field where I can spend a lot of time on the throttle. I'm using 7500mAh packs.
Seems reasonable. Why not longer with a battery with more capacity? I've gotten 30 mins with a 5000 when it was brand new. I honestly think my battery is defected. Also, with the gear change you recommended, I slapped the 2.2 Big Joe's on this rig, 60/26 should be feasible, right?

Those tires should be perfectly fine. According to Tower Hobbies they are almost exactly the same diameter as the stock ones.

As for runtime, it's entirely possible that I've been getting longer runs; I've just never timed them. I do know the batteries last noticeably longer when my girlfriend is driving it because she doesn't make it her mission to be over 75% throttle as much as possible :)

Latest posts

Members online

Back