Larsen's Hybrid Savage Mutt Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larsenracing

Manufacturer
Well I got a lot of parts laying around so I finally decided to put them to use along with purchasing a few that I don't have and some members on here helping me get some of the onesie twoosie parts needed.

Anyway this truck will be built with numerous parts from many different models of Savage's from 21's to XL's. The chassis is from a 21 which I have painted black and done some custom drilling as you will see. It will have a 2 speed trans and a PRC112 Hellfire mid-tank kit installed. This truck will also run the XL Differentials, Bulkheads, and shafts to the wheels along with the extended Output shafts. I have also de-anodized everything except for the Cam Style Servo saver. Anyway it will have a bunch of other stuff which you will see in the photo's.

Build001.jpg

Build002.jpg

A few other parts.
Build003.jpg

Bolts are loose but you can see I drilled a hole to mount the rear of the PRC112 Plate.
Build005.jpg

Drilled some holes to mount the servo in the stock tank location using the FLM servo mounts.
Build004.jpg

A shot of where I am at so far this morning. I can't go much further today as I am waiting on parts.
Build006.jpg

I thought about using our CF one but wanted to see what this looks like first. Most of it will be covered by the engine or servo anyhow. The lower bulkhead plates are also de-anoed and have a brushed look as well.

what TVP's are them? I know the X tvp cant be drilled for the servo unless you have 2 right side plates. left side wont work.

Edit NM 21 I need to read better

Very Nice!! Cant wait to see more Keep it up!! 10+

Your correct Bank. These are the TVP's from the 21/25 Savage. They are a little high compared to my liking but will work great.

Thanks for the great comments guys. I will most definitely keep you up to date.

That is strange I was doing the same thing had some 25 parts x parts and xss parts lying around and decided to build a mutt LOL

I scuffed then cleaned them via brake cleaner then primed and painted. Hopping it will stick well if not I will just repaint. I have heard that engine heat paint sticks better but thought I would give this a try. I can always strip them and repaint or whatever needed. I will keep this thread updated.

Also, an update on the project: It's at a stand still as I am waiting on a bunch of parts from the net. Should have stuff arriving everyday for the rest of the week and maybe a bit more. I will update with pictures as I go.

I'm not sure on a powerplant yet. Something cheap! I will let you know as I decide in the near future. Thinking possibly the SH .28 which is from the same plant as the LRP and basically the same mill, But i'm unsure yet.

Ya that would work as well. This will be a fairly light truck and is a standard wheel base so a decent .21 would probably do the trick but we will see. You got a link to a cheap one and do they have a provision for pull or rolo start?

You can find the SH .28 for just under $90 shipped on ebay but like I said I'm not sure yet.

Yeah I have only seen a pull start hyper .21 and the hyper is a little more its more in the 100-105 range but you will not be burning as much fuel either...

Hey Larsen don't make the same mistake I did I'm only half way done it looked so good the wife has already claimed it LOL :stickspank:

LOL Trix. I have one good thing on my side. My wife hates my R/C's. But I can always use here clothing spending against her. She also doesn't know yet that I am building this, LOL.

Larsen was that tank plate a direct fit or did you have to trim it? Cause I think you have to trims flm's plate but yours I'm not sure about.

LOL Nick, ya I needed some bearings and so on.

I did trim the plate to fit around the transmission because of the 21/25 high COG Chassis. I will be making the changed to my plate for future so there is no cutting that will need to be done if someone wants to install it the way I did so for future reference it can be fit easily with no harm done.

Members online

No members online now.
Back