Just got a blitz ese.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtremsavage

OG HPISF MEMBER!!!!!
I just brought home yesterday a Blitz ese. This is goin to be the build thread. I still need to get a servo, Rx, LiPo battery, and B/L system. Some time next week I'll get some pics of everything and get them posted. I'll be starting the build in a couple weeks.

Sweet man, can't wait to see it! I want to build one too but I'm kinda diggin' that new 1/12 scale desert truck that HPI is coming out with. I already have two Blitz RTR's for my boys so I might do something different. I like the new Axial XR10 too LOL!

Thanks Mike. Yeah, I seen the new Axial XR10 the other day too in a newsletter e-mail from TCS. Looks pretty nice and a cheaper than the kits that you have to buy the clodbuster axles for. I'd love to get a crawler too, but I have no where around here to run it. I'll keep everybody posted on how the build goes.

Pics finally

Well, I was finally able to squeeze in some time to snap some pics of the Blitz ESE I picked up last weekend. I gotta say, HPI has done it again with another kit. The instructions are extremely detailed, all parts bags are individually labeled according to the instructions, plenty of stickers, and a bunch of set-up info. Now I just can't wait to get started with the build. Here's the pics....

106_1071.jpg

106_1072.jpg

106_1073.jpg

106_1074.jpg

106_1075.jpg

106_1076.jpg

106_1077.jpg

106_1078.jpg

106_1079.jpg

106_1080.jpg

106_1081.jpg

106_1082.jpg

106_1083.jpg

106_1084.jpg

106_1085.jpg

Now, all I have to do is wait until I can get a Rx, steering servo, and B/L motor & ESC before I can get fully involved with this build. The first set of steps is building the F&R shocks and the starting on the rear diff. After I get those done, I'm stuck until I get the motor & ESC. So, stay tuned for more pics.

And for all you other Blitz owners out there, whether racers or bashers (racers preferably), any and all set-up tips are more than welcome. Set-ups along the lines of suspension tweaks, shock oils, and gearing.

Hey JR build the whole truck get it setting on wheels and drop a motor in when its assembled its the easy way
now for set up
caliber tires
27.5 shock oil right now
19&88 for gearing
c shock pistion on all 4 corners

Hey JR build the whole truck get it setting on wheels and drop a motor in when its assembled its the easy way
now for set up
caliber tires
27.5 shock oil right now
19&88 for gearing
c shock pistion on all 4 corners

Thanks Leroy. I can't run the caliber tires right now cuz I'll be racin in the stock class, so I need to run stock Blitz rims/tires. I already got a set of those. That's the gearing I was thinking about using, but I'm also gonna call a friend of mine who actually races at the track and find out from him what gearing is best for the track. As far as the shocks go, the kit came with 50wt oil and the instructions say to use the B piston. How much different would the handling be between the 2 different set-ups, if you know? Also, don't forget that the shocks are the alum. ones with the Ti-nitride coated shafts.

Thanks Leroy. I can't run the caliber tires right now cuz I'll be racin in the stock class, so I need to run stock Blitz rims/tires. I already got a set of those. That's the gearing I was thinking about using, but I'm also gonna call a friend of mine who actually races at the track and find out from him what gearing is best for the track. As far as the shocks go, the kit came with 50wt oil and the instructions say to use the B piston. How much different would the handling be between the 2 different set-ups, if you know? Also, don't forget that the shocks are the alum. ones with the Ti-nitride coated shafts.

You have to keep stock tires ? They let us upgrade tires but must have a stock or 17.5 BL system

You have to keep stock tires ? They let us upgrade tires but must have a stock or 17.5 BL system

Yeah, you have to run stock kit tires. Some cutting of the tires is allowed though. And the ESC/motor is the same situation, stock, 12T brushed, or 17.5t B/L. I forgot and haven't yet inquired about battery rating. I know it says it has to be 2S 7.4v LiPo (which I plan on runnin) but, it doesn't state whether there is a limit on the capacity or C rating. I need to find out about those.

Well you should be able to switch tires. and be able to change to chang shock fluids. When i was at motorama. They ran a stock class. you could change your tires, shock oil. Run eaither a 17.5T B/L or the 12T. And you of course could have spektrum. And that was a national event with pros steve slayden, chad due, All team associated. Barry Baker... this list go's on

Here are the basic stock class rules from the track I'll be racing at. And there is a disclaimer at the end saying rules subject to change.

Rules

Stock Class

Chassis:
Must remain stock.
The following are Legal Chassis
HPI Blitz, Team Associated SC10, Traxxas Slash, Team Losi Strike, Kyosho Ultima SC

Battery:
7.4v 2 cell LiPo or 6 cell sub c

Speed Control:
Open

Motor:
27t stock brushed,
17.5 brushless,
15t HPI Firebolt,
Traxxas Titan 12t,
12t Losi,
Reedy Radon 17t
Kyosho G20

Tires:
Any Stock kit tires. Brand mixing allowed, Cutting allowed

Wheels:
Any 2.2 outer 3.0 inner diameter and glued

Body:
Must be Short Course truck style and not excessively cut

i think one of these wil be my next project.what did the kit run you if you don't mind me asking?

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well guys, I was finally able to get started on this build. Tuesday afternoon I went and picked up a servo for the steering from the LHS. Not exactly the one I was lookin to get, but the price was good and it'll at least get the job done for awhile. Here's the pics of the servo for those who wanna see and I'll post the specs afterwards. I've actually got some of the truck put together but haven't had a chance to get pics. I'll take those before I start workin on it some.

106_1086.jpg

106_1087.jpg

Servo specs...
Spektrum servo
model #S6010
Torque: 7.2 kg-cm / 100 oz-in @ 6V
Speed: 0.14 sec/60* @ 6V
Bearing: Dual
Gears: Metal with (1) Nylon
Motor: Brushed

Stay tuned for more pics either later tonight or tomorrow.

That is most likely a JR servo still. to my knowledge they didn't change MFGRS. If it has the values you want, it should be a good servo for a long time to come. I just called the track and told them to pull the last ese off the floor and total up my store credits. I should pick it up for $160.00 tonight.

That is most likely a JR servo still. to my knowledge they didn't change MFGRS. If it has the values you want, it should be a good servo for a long time to come. I just called the track and told them to pull the last ese off the floor and total up my store credits. I should pick it up for $160.00 tonight.

I was hopin to get a servo that was a little faster, somewhere around .10-.12, but for $35, the spekky should do just fine. Is it my fault your gettin the ese now?

Here's a couple pics from what I got assembled the other day. Mainly got the servo mounted (temporarily until I get the funds for another Rx so I can set the servo arm in the right position). Also was able to get the servo saver built and installed. Here's the pics.

106_1099.jpg

It's an extremely tight fit. The spekky servo is a few mm bigger than other servos, but it fits.

106_1098.jpg

106_1097.jpg

More to come later tonight hopefully.

I was hopin to get a servo that was a little faster, somewhere around .10-.12, but for $35, the spekky should do just fine. Is it my fault your gettin the ese now?

lol not your fault at all. I totaled the cost of the parts I wanted for the rtr. It was chaper for the ese at full cost. I have the ese here now. With my loyalty credits I got it for 165.00 and I got a 5 free race pass so with the value of that I got the ESE for 50 bucks.. Gotta love it ! shocks on ebay were going to cost me 75 for the set of 4 ..

Last edited by a moderator:
lol not your fault at all. I totaled the cost of the parts I wanted for the rtr. It was chaper for the ese at full cost. I have the ese here now. With my loyalty credits I got it for 165.00 and I got a 5 free race pass so with the value of that I got the ESE for 50 bucks.. Gotta love it ! shocks on ebay were going to cost me 75 for the set of 4 ..

Cool, can't beat that kind of deal. Were those the alum. ones you were gonna get off ebay, like the ones that come with the ese? Wow, practically the same price as BB for the savvy. Gonna work on mine some more tom. Got the diff built, mounted to the plate and the spur gear installed. Got pics, gonna post them tom. when I've got more time. Also went ahead and installed the spur/pinion gear cover.

Cool, can't beat that kind of deal. Were those the alum. ones you were gonna get off ebay, like the ones that come with the ese? Wow, practically the same price as BB for the savvy. Gonna work on mine some more tom. Got the diff built, mounted to the plate and the spur gear installed. Got pics, gonna post them tom. when I've got more time. Also went ahead and installed the spur/pinion gear cover.

yea ESE shocks. found 1 listing for bags a & b 35 each then one for 54 each.

My box had 8 HPI seals 4 over 4 broken. So I went threw it to make sure its all there. Ill build it by some point next week. I have one rtr already I'm in any rush to get this one going too.

you don't want to run that ball diff. get a gear diff! that will fall apart on you in no time flat. takes daily maintenance to keep up with it. Race redo race redo no lie.. Did yours have the step 14 amendment in it ? claiming if you over tighten it you wreck the thrust washers ? Mine did... must be hpi trying to stop the claims on that diff.

yea ESE shocks. found 1 listing for bags a & b 35 each then one for 54 each.

My box had 8 HPI seals 4 over 4 broken. So I went threw it to make sure its all there. Ill build it by some point next week. I have one rtr already I'm in any rush to get this one going too.

you don't want to run that ball diff. get a gear diff! that will fall apart on you in no time flat. takes daily maintenance to keep up with it. Race redo race redo no lie.. Did yours have the step 14 amendment in it ? claiming if you over tighten it you wreck the thrust washers ? Mine did... must be hpi trying to stop the claims on that diff.

Where was the amendment located at? In step 14? I'll have to check it out tom. When I had the Fusion, it used ball diffs and I never had any problems with those. And it was bein run with 28 big block and the diff gear was plastic. I guess only time will tell. But, I'll get back to you about the amendent.

This si what I got done yest. afternoon. I got the diff built, trans built with diff installed, and spur/pinion gear cover mounted. Here are the pics.

106_1088.jpg

106_1089.jpg

Motor side of motor mount plate
106_1092.jpg

Trans case mounted to motor plate.
106_1090.jpg

Same pic as above but a different angle. You can see how massive the heatsinks are pre-built into the motor plate.
106_1091.jpg

Spur gear installed with slipper set-up. Went with the 83t spur for now, may change later.
106_1093.jpg

Spur and pinion cover.
106_1095.jpg

106_1094.jpg

Gonna start buildin it some in a little bit. Builds goin real smooth and easy so far without any problems.

Where was the amendment located at? In step 14? I'll have to check it out tom. When I had the Fusion, it used ball diffs and I never had any problems with those. And it was bein run with 28 big block and the diff gear was plastic. I guess only time will tell. But, I'll get back to you about the amendent.

it was a extra slip of paper in with the manny .. Mine was on top of it in the bag ...

it was a extra slip of paper in with the manny .. Mine was on top of it in the bag ...

yeah I found it. It must of fell out when I was unpackin everything for pics and to flip through the manual. I don't think I cranked it down to tight. I kept checkin for slippage every 1/2-3/4 turn of the wrench. I guess time will tell.

Latest posts

Members online

Back