I've been sucked in again 1/5th scale style!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JVT73

Well guy's, I've been absent for awhile and the reason is...I just picked up a really bitch'n 5B!!! I'm very stoked and have had it for three weeks now. In those three weeks I haven't run it once! I totally disassembled everything and proceeded to clean with a toothbrush. Spoke to OBR about their engine that's in it as well as did lots of research. I can honestly say "damn this is one honk' n piece of machinery" there is so much aftermarket billet stuff I don't know where to begin:
•Hostile Racing
•Turtle Racing
•Phatdad RC
•Craftwerks RC
•OBR Full Mod 30.5cc Piston Port
•IRP
•FLM
•DDM
I started out in this forum hooked to a Savage X/XL and now this beast has me cornered! I can't wait to fire it up!!! Some pic's of the beast!
P.S.- oh, if I ever buy a RC from you guys and you used Red loc-tite.. I'll punch you in the ding ding lol! Had to bust out the torch and dremel!
IMG_0334.JPG IMG_0337.JPG IMG_0339.JPG IMG_0347.JPG IMG_0355.JPG IMG_0363.JPG IMG_0365.JPG

Very nice mate some great hopups on there !! had a baj a few years ago was running a ported darksoul 26cc lump init with dom pipe was a beast :cool:mines the red caged
2s93dxk.jpg

Very nice rig!

I had a 5B SS for a couple years. Ran it 4 or 5 times... was so excited to have something to run in the winter that I never thought "hey, dummy, it's 2wd, low to the ground and heavy. snow may not be it's friend". Then I lacked the places to even run the thing. Buzzing back and forth on an open field just isn't that fun. Live and learn.

Heck of a machine though. Really felt like your working on something with one of those up on the bench.

Very nice rig!

I had a 5B SS for a couple years. Ran it 4 or 5 times... was so excited to have something to run in the winter that I never thought "hey, dummy, it's 2wd, low to the ground and heavy. snow may not be it's friend". Then I lacked the places to even run the thing. Buzzing back and forth on an open field just isn't that fun. Live and learn.

Heck of a machine though. Really felt like your working on something with one of those up on the bench.
Thanks olds,
I live in the country with some acreage an old BMX track near by and this thing is hopefully gonna rip some sod! I'm leery due to being previously owned but so far during tear down and rebuild, things look ok. There is some aftermarket stuff on this thing that's not available anymore so, fingers crossed on first run breakage! lol I talked to the guys at OBR about sending the engine back to them for a re-build given it's age. I have to say, the crew at OBR has answered the phone every time I called and stoped what they were doing to talk to me! I can't say enough about them! Anyway, they said to run it and see what happened, if it hangs up (a.k.a PA lingo -gives up the ghost) then it would be about the same re-build. It's what I was thinking anyway so, I'll grip it & rip it!

Thanks olds,
I live in the country with some acreage an old BMX track near by and this thing is hopefully gonna rip some sod! I'm leery due to being previously owned but so far during tear down and rebuild, things look ok. There is some aftermarket stuff on this thing that's not available anymore so, fingers crossed on first run breakage! lol I talked to the guys at OBR about sending the engine back to them for a re-build given it's age. I have to say, the crew at OBR has answered the phone every time I called and stoped what they were doing to talk to me! I can't say enough about them! Anyway, they said to run it and see what happened, if it hangs up (a.k.a PA lingo -gives up the ghost) then it would be about the same re-build. It's what I was thinking anyway so, I'll grip it & rip it!
Well, if your as lucky as the guy that bought mine, you will have a good time with it. :)

Just be aware, running it at a maintained BMX track may get some people annoyed at you. One thing the 5B does is leaves tracks letting everyone know it was there. :) It's not quite as kind to the terrain as a nice soft and fluffy 1/8th or 1/10th scale truck.

dang, youve got a lot of spendy upgrades there, did you get a good price on it?
Hey @frddyj,

Yes, the previous, previous owner must have been a Baja guru!!! lol I didn't get hurt on the deal, I was very skeptical going in because I was told it had no spark/didn't run.
Well, it has spark now and I'm pleased!!

Hey @frddyj,

Yes, the previous, previous owner must have been a Baja guru!!! lol I didn't get hurt on the deal, I was very skeptical going in because I was told it had no spark/didn't run.
Well, it has spark now and I'm pleased!!
It's surprising how non-expensive those engines are in stock form. You think a decent basher nitro .28 is around $200. 1/5th scale isn't much more. $140 shipped for the stock 26SS engine. lol So, less then!

am on a few baja forums where guys are running those 50cc/70ccc even twins!! there pure monsters haha over here in the uk most run the obr ported 32ccs or the scott finley pro mx/pro tune ported 32cc and 34cc well worth spending out on a decent motor tbf I went from the hpi standard 26cc with piggytail pipe to a darksoul 26cc ported and dom v2 pipe and it was night and day difference my mate makes a lot of carbon parts for these hes names bonehead rc on ebay great guy if you buy anything tell him dre sent you should give you a discount etc ;)

love that alloy spur cover you got OP very nice I had one of those but with the clear middle so you could see the spur spinning through it :cool:only problem with 1/5th it gets very expensive very fast but yours has a ton of hopups alreasy so your good to bash mate :D get some video up whens she tearing round for us pls

I miss mine like crazy tbh but at the time I got laid off work and was finding harder and harder to find places to run due to the noise afew months after they built a 1/5th track a few miles away doh :mad:
miss these days tho :( enjoy that baj brother

I got sucked in about 6 months ago lol

Attachments

• 20180311_192243.jpg
    20180311_192243.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20180305_192111.jpg
    20180305_192111.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20180227_204326.jpg
    20180227_204326.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 2
It's alive & what a ripper! Took her out on the road to dial in steering trim, cruising at half throttle and decided to let her eat! Well front tires came off the pavement and she was moving out. That was with Bow-Ties on, can't imagine what it would do with proper Hostile slicks on! Haha, love this Baja. Had to hit the brake because I caught up to a car.
IMG_0385.JPG IMG_0389.JPG

:cool:sweet matey do you have a kill switch installed? if not GET one these things flying off at 50mph can do major damage mind :eek: seen a few runaways now scares the life outta ya a good one in the uk is made my jolly roger etc am sure you guys have different brands over there but a kill switch should be top of your hopup list not only saves your pride and joy from wrecking into a wall but could save someones life too ;)

The upgrades continue, added much needed items over the weekend.
• Twisted RC (Yamadude) Linkage
• ATC H-Bomb quick release roll cage bracket

Two thumbs up on both!
IMG_0393.JPG IMG_0394.JPG IMG_0395.JPG IMG_0396.JPG IMG_0392.JPG IMG_0398.JPG

Last edited:
Realtime, adding some FullForce RC shock socks! Looked easier than it is, ha. Takes some patience to tuck the sock in, compress the spring, & put the bottom cap on at the same time. They look & work great though!
IMG_0399.JPG

nice bro looking great hear you on the sock shocks had to do 8 yesterday my fingers are killing today haha :woot:

Shock socks completed! Now, what next... I know-swaybar kit! That will be next weeks project. Boom, the kid is on a roll. lol I need to get the Savy XL out this weekend & maybe the Truggy?
Oh, I also added some stickers to help me go faster!!;) Speaking of stickers, where can I get some HPISF stickers?
IMG_0400.JPG IMG_0401.JPG IMG_0403.JPG
:hpisf:

Had to put the sway bar kit on hold for a couple days. I didn't realize the Dollar Hobbyz kit was a partial! Slightly irritated about only missing 2 rod ends. They were nice enough to inform me that they offer another rod end kit for $40 some dollars that has the other two rod ends.:banghead:

Forgot how long that buggy was. When I had mine, I had the scorpion short chassis on it. Felt a lot more nimble. Also, having the RB Innovations crank case/pull start air filter system was nice to keep crap from getting sucked up in the engine. Especially once it was all sealed up nice with RTV.

Latest posts

Members online

Back