is this a bulletproof diff?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finx

I have a pinion that strippd out. thinking it was a diff I bought the bulletproof diff kit. How do I know if this is the bulletproof diff from factory? I don't want to open it up if i don't have to. please let me know how to tell thanks!

DSC01421.jpg

regardless....
I'm still yet to blow a set of gears/pinion on a diff!

running the HPI alloy case, ofna crosspins, standard hpi 4-spyder gears and sungear. Using HypoyC gearoil internal and synthetic extreme pressure grease on the eternal side. Even use the standard hpi gasket!

but i am guilty of servicing my savage regularily :)

I have a pinion that strippd out. thinking it was a diff I bought the bulletproof diff kit. How do I know if this is the bulletproof diff from factory? I don't want to open it up if i don't have to. please let me know how to tell thanks!

DSC01421.jpg

ok, you've already determined its not a bulletproof diff, but my question is - is that bearing on the diff case side blown? a common cause of a blown diff is that crappy bearing blowing out which throws your gear mesh off & "whammo"

Any diff using that crappy bearing (1-x16mm) will need to be shimmed correctly to eliminate as much side load as possible & then you'll prob extend the life of the bearing, but chances are it will still blow out at some point.

just upgrading to the bulletproof diff alone will not eliminate that problem.

Here is a pic of a bulletproof diff with the nova hellfire cup that eliminates the 10x16mm bearing and uses 2- 8x16mm

DSC_1273-1.jpg

but i am guilty of servicing my savage regularily :)
here is a good piece of advice - +rep dawg.

keep in mind while you have the diff out from the bulkhead you can service the ballbearings. Simple proceedure is to use the tip of a scapel to carefully pry out the rubber seal from the bearing. Pull out both seals using this method.

Clean the bearings out thouroughly using WD40 whilest rolling the bearing manually. Repeat if necassary!

MAke sure to dry the bearing out thouroughly.

Repack the bearing using HD grease found at places such as canadian tire, lorco, napa, etc which come in a long tube.

Fin.

Yes, that bearing was completely blown. It was in about 10 different pieces. I'm glad that the bulletproof diff kit came with one. I installed a 29/9 on the front as well as the back. Runs like a champ

Latest posts

Members online

Back