Is the Savage XL ok for acreage bashing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skinart

Hey guys, Ive had a Savage 25 before a few years back and loved it ... now I want to buy a new one.

I never want to race with it, i just want to bash it on and around the acreage. But I have a couple of questions you may be able to help with ...

I like the new XL big block, but is it better to get a roller and add a different engine? Before when I had my Savage I had some SH28 engine and it was alot faster then some of the bigger cc engines ... is that the same case now?

Also, do they still break roto start gears alot? and diffs and dog bones? Or have they picked up there game?

Good to be here, off to read alot and do some catching up!

The XL IMO is a great truck to get, it comes with the super heavy duty dogbones, drive cups and extended axles, I use them and havn't seen one broken (except on a crazy powerful Flux), steel spur, vented racing clutch bell and alum shoes, 3 speed + the optional high speed third gear.

A roller probably would be better as the K5.9 isnt all that, though some use it and say it's fine, others have issues with it, a good .28 or something like the LRP.30 is tons better.

Or you could buy the XL with the 5.9, sell the engine unused, they sell quite well on eBay, and get something better.

I'm pretty sure the latest XL's also come with the new 29/9t bulletproof diff gear set, with much larger chunkier teeth and a bigger bearing in the ring gear side, in my experience with these diffs, they're pretty much indestructible.

The XL IMO is a great truck to get, it comes with the super heavy duty dogbones, drive cups and extended axles, I use them and havn't seen one broken (except on a crazy powerful Flux), steel spur, vented racing clutch bell and alum shoes, 3 speed + the optional high speed third gear.

A roller probably would be better as the K5.9 isnt all that, though some use it and say it's fine, others have issues with it, a good .28 or something like the LRP.30 is tons better.

Or you could buy the XL with the 5.9, sell the engine unused, they sell quite well on eBay, and get something better.

I'm pretty sure the latest XL's also come with the new 29/9t bulletproof diff gear set, with much larger chunkier teeth and a bigger bearing in the ring gear side, in my experience with these diffs, they're pretty much indestructible.

Well that pretty much answered everything in 1 post haha!

Yah I might get the roller and was eying up an SH28, but I'm deffenatly going to check that LRP.30

Good news to here the XL comes with so many upgraded parts thats awesome!

I Live in Australia and I can get a roller for $299 (around $260 ish U.S?) You think thats a good deal?

I'm probably going to hit up the sell forums here to see if i can buy someones radio gear that they upgraded, I don't need any fancy radio, il just get a fail safe and be done with it.

Thanx again for taking the time to write all that, it closed the deal for me!

oh btw .... how can I identify the "latest" versions of the XL? Are there any external parts that I can look at?

Yah brand new from a Hobby store. Not sure if that's how they bought it or maybe they parted it out to sell stuff separately?

Should I buy it right away? coz they only have the one ...

I would double check the bp diff coming in the truck Mine did not come with them I just put bps in my xl . They may have changed it. If it doesnt come with it. Iwould put bps in. Also upgrade the diff bearings.

I went ahead and bought it .... I'm gunna keep poking around to find some more stuff for it now ...

Is the bullet proof diff somthing HPI replaces / upgrade you for free coz they had a problem with the diffs? Or just a bonus for the new XL's made?

Its hard to say if they will or not since you purchased as a roller, but it wouldnt hurt to call HPI and see, congratz on the purchase btw...

Hey good news guys, I asked the hobby store and they said all there xl's they have had have the bp diffs! So I'm in luck it has them!

ty Morphin, good to be back in the rc scene!

I went ahead and bought it .... I'm gunna keep poking around to find some more stuff for it now ...

Hey good news guys, I asked the hobby store and they said all there xl's they have had have the bp diffs! So I'm in luck it has them!

Nice1 mate!! :rock1: don't forget pics when you get it and when you get an engine in etc. Have you decided which engine your going for yet?

As much as I would like one of those LRP's or a picco or something ... I'm not sure if I need that kind of power / money spent.

I was looking at the STS D28M ... what do you guys think about that? Not sure if eBay links are allowed here but I'm sure you guys know which one. There only like $100 ...

I got an itchy mouse button finger lol, I need to spend the money quick before I do something stupid with it and pay the mortgage or something .... haha

I'm just about to do some reading on a clutch setup too as it doesn't come with a clutch .... and choose how many teeth bell I use ...

ya i myself was going to grab a sts engine and was told by a pro engine modder to stay away from them so i did lol as i trust his advice 100% and yes feel free to link what your talking about its allowed,

Well I was looking at this engine ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-STS-D28M-28...pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item2ea90733ec

I had a Savage before with what I think was either an STS or SH.28? Ports? Unknown, but for this old guy it was fun enough for me and it was very easy to tune and stay in tune.

Those engine in the above post look lovely ... but I have many other big toys that get the extra coin before my rc stuff will lol

Just after, nice power, easy to tune, and wont break every drive ... hopefully lol

STS went down hill bud. SH is now in every rtr of most manufactures not HPI though...

Latest posts

Members online

Back