Is anyone happy with their truck?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea mines running reliably after I did a solid cleaning yesterday and I've upgraded to 1600's as well. Zero problems so far.

Are you running two 1600 or just one for the ignition box

Both since I took out the stock turning servo and upgraded to the stronger hitech 7655tg one, it draws more power. But I'm still planning to use both sets of batteries in order to stay out a couple of hours.

Well ran the sixth tank of gas through my Octane. It started running bad. So i took out the spark plug and cleaned it. Also turned around the cdi so the spark plug wire does not run across the top of it. It ran better.So i ran a seventh tank of gas and it pulled the front wheels off the ground and 3rd gear started come in late

10 tanks through, so far, and in general, I'm happy. Am I happy about everything? No, but there are many things I that I am happy about. It started in five pulls right out of the box (after a needle setting check). I wasn't expecting that after all the reading I've done about starting issues. I broke it in by driving it slowly on the first tank. Then I picked up the pace a bit on subsequent tanks. I started noticing stalling in the transition from low speed to wide open. This is a sign that the carb is not getting enough fuel, so I richened it tiny bit (two "clicks") and the stalling went away. This small tune has held for 10 tanks now. I get close to 23 minutes on a tank of fuel.

However, on my first run after break in, both left side wheels came off at exactly the same time (front and back). I know I should have checked them, but they were nylock and I could see threads on the other side. That wasn't critical though, and sort of on me for not being HPI's QA. The part I'm not happy about is during a run on my 4th tank, a rock, or something flew up and tore through my steering servo extension. I was happy it was the extension because I have plenty of those on hand, however it just seemed odd to me the HPI thought leaving the servo line so exposed was a good idea. I replaced the extension and sleeved all exposed line with heat shrink. Also, the electronics box is too small, and the stock batteries are too small (capacity). I mean c'mon... two tanks and I have to recharge? I fly 20cc gasser biplanes with 9 servos (all control surfaces plus choke and throttle) that don't eat that much power after two tanks (approximately one hour of air time).

But still, overall I'm satisfied. I just think for close to a grand (after taxes) they could have thought some things through. The servo line hangin' out in the breeze should have been a no brainer.

Well I'm not sure this counts, but I'm very happy now. Shortly after I rearranged my electronics box, I started having trouble with my Octane. It would run for about 5 minutes, sometimes less, sometimes more, then just die. I originally thought this was because of the plug lead running over the ignition box, but I'm not so sure that was ever the issue. I had not been checking the adjustment set screws on 2nd and 3rd gear until the transmission stopped working altogether. When I finally pulled the stoppers the 3rd gear set screw was missing.

Luckily for me, I purchased my Octane through Amazon (Amazon Fulfillment) and the transmission went out on day 30 of the thirty day return policy. So I started a chat with an Amazon CSR, and back it went for a full refund, dirt, scratches and all. I could have had it replaced, but I chose not to because I wouldn't be confident that the next Octane I got wouldn't have other issues. By the way, this is the first time I've ever used that policy. Could I have fixed it? Probably. Did I want to or think I should? No. So with my refund, I bought a used FG Monster Truck ... I'll probably never buy another Octane, but that doesn't mean I'm soured on the Savage platform. I've seen the abuse they take. In thirty days the only part to break was the transmission.

I think this truck is not for the faint of heart when it comes to problem solving. It was in no way ready for release when HPI put it out, but if your willing to do some work and R&D for them it can be a real fun truck. I picked mine up lightly used for a very good price and could tell the guy was selling because the truck was smarter than him. I personally like being smarter than what I'm working on so I set out to make this thing run like HPI makes it out to. That said I could tell right away that it needed the carb looked at. Upon disassembly I found that the lever for the inlet needle needed to be bent out further to allow fuel to fill the diaphragm on the carb. I then rammed my head against a wall trying to tune. That was a mistake since it probably needed more fuel run through it. I suffered through the break in but it still wasnt quite running right. I read somewhere to "stop concentrating on tuning the engine and concentrate on your shift points". I did that and voila... the tuning fell into place. This engine has a narrower power band unlike nitro with its high rpm. You have to stay in that power band. Next I changed the spark plug and gapped to a .3mm. I finally turned the corner. I was able to tune it properly after setting shift points, a long break in, and a new spark plug. The truck rocks in the backyard. Is it fast? no. Is it easier than nitro? maybe in some ways. Is it fun? Heck yeah. Its a great short course truck and a fun truck to tinker with, you just have to learn a lot about it and have a considerable amount of experience with gasoline engines I think. Maybe I just got lucky.

I've owned or built cars, planes, and helicopters that have operated as intended, without problems, from maiden. If I want a project, I'll buy a kit. As far as gas engines are concerned, they are not difficult. In most cases you can leave the needles at factory settings for the first gallon, and then start your tune if needed (DLE, DA). Sometimes they continue to make new power after the first gallon through (Zenoah G2xx series). I've only had minor difficulty the smaller ABC gassers with barrel carbs (Evolution), they are a bit more finicky. My engine wasn't the problem. I paid almost $1000 for my Octane brand new. As a consumer, I expected a better value.

I have to agree with you Doozer. For me I picked it up LIGHTLY used and got it for 500. If I had paid 1000 I would feel very differently. HPI definitely dropped the ball here and had the consumer do the R&D for them. But for me I also enjoy a little challenge from time to time so I had fun making this thing run right. I wonder if they will ever make this truck work right out of the box or if they already know its too late for them. This was supposed to make a splash and it belly flopped.

Just taking a poll because I have had nothing but problems from day one with my HPI Savage Octane and about to get rid of it...
Yes, very happy that I took the time to figure out the trucks temperment.
I put my mind set like my old 2 cycle motor cycles. 1st. Breakin. I used a rich fuel mixture not worring about how the truck ran . As long as it started and idled. I did that for about 3/4 gallon of fuel. Then with the last of the gallon I pushed the truck hard. All the while the truck smoked like crazy sputtered and ran like crap. 1 thing I did notice is the improvement in engine response.
After the 1st gallon finished off. I re mixed another gallon of fuel per specs. again but I added a 1/8 of a gallon more of 93 octane fuel. And I was using HPI 2 cycle.
And proceeded to adjust per manufactures specs.
My truck is a beast now. I would not give it up for anything at this point.
Yes at the start I wanted to send it back but remember. With a 2 cycle breakin time from my experience is triple the time. And the engine constantly improves.

Yep! I'm very much happy with my Octane.

Hello,

I joined this forum to get more info from actual owners of the octane Savage. I have owned electric and nitro R/C's and have the chance to be the second owner of one. I have a friend who is going to sell me his Savage to fund his 1/5 scale FG and Baja projects. I guess what I want to know is am I wasting my time getting this? Please provide your honest opinions. This issue I know I will have on my hands already is the home owners association complaints, will the high flow muffler make much of a difference? Thanks!

From a personal experience, I would say go for it. For a start the truck looks really great (the roll bar that HPI have designed for this is great and they should make a smaller version for the standard savage) and you cannot deny that when you are running it anywhere, everyone will hear it and they will want to come and look because it is so loud!

The downside for me is that the engine seems to be poorly designed and it is not so easy to tune and keep in tune when you are running it (sometimes an imperceptible turn on the HSN is the difference between flying and bogging down). There are 2 of us now on this site that have had an issue with one of the clips that secure the piston wrist pin falling out and trashing the motor. If I was based in the USA then parts seems to be plentiful and cheap whilst here in the UK they are very very high which makes replacing any key components a challenge.

That said, I now get all my parts from the USA so it will keep the cost down and I have plenty of other Nitro Savages to stop me getting withdrawal systems when I break the Octane and have to wait for the parts to be shipped in.

I had the same dilemma when I bought mine as all the feedback on the web is negative but that is the nature of a persons review of a product. People that have issues are more likely to post their issues than people who are not having issues.

The high flow exhaust (sorry muffler!!) does make a massive difference but please do not think that it will make the truck quiet. It is still loud but doesn't make your ears bleed in the same way that the stock setup does. You need to remember that you need the HPI extension joint and also that when you change over you will need to re-tune for best performance as it kills a bit of the top speed.

There is a video on youtube where a guy runs a truck stock and then with the high flow Baja muffler so you should watch this to see the difference.

Well I picked my octane up slightly used for for 575. Picked another one up for 200. So the first one seems to be working out ok...frustrating at times but I'm learning...and this thing will NOT beat me. No really, it hasn't been that bad. The second one looks like it had never been touched but I could not get it started for anything. Took it to a shop and neither could they. I took the carb off and there was a crack in the housing! No wonder. So I guess I have a parts truck with brand new parts for 775!

Hello,

I joined this forum to get more info from actual owners of the octane Savage. I have owned electric and nitro R/C's and have the chance to be the second owner of one. I have a friend who is going to sell me his Savage to fund his 1/5 scale FG and Baja projects. I guess what I want to know is am I wasting my time getting this? Please provide your honest opinions. This issue I know I will have on my hands already is the home owners association complaints, will the high flow muffler make much of a difference? Thanks!

You cannot go wrong. I have had my Octane now for 3 months and what a blast. The most fun I have had with a RC vehicle ever.
This truck with stands brutal crashes and it doesn't seem to affect it.
The only problem screws coming loose. Always recheck all screws between refueling the fuel tank. And when finished running I go through the entire vehicle. The battery box is a joke thats the only bad design in the entire truck. Its like a rats nest.
I think the more you run the truck the stronger it gets.
I only wish it had after market parts. Just to mess with its looks.
I am currently looking for another truck. Good luck you will enjoy the truck.

Thanks everyone, this is exactly what I needed to hear. Your right people are quick to post all the negatives but shed little info on the positive side of things. I will reduce my collection of electric RC's put together my funds and make this purchase. One more thing the engine will be broken in once I get it. Is there any benefit from running high octane gas such as 93 vs 87? Thanks again for your help.

Thanks everyone, this is exactly what I needed to hear. Your right people are quick to post all the negatives but shed little info on the positive side of things. I will reduce my collection of electric RC's put together my funds and make this purchase. One more thing the engine will be broken in once I get it. Is there any benefit from running high octane gas such as 93 vs 87? Thanks again for your help.
Yes, always run 90+ octane fuel. I have not heard anyone running higher than 93.
Have fun and as for all the negatives. Like anything new people are quick to pointout all the bad. Espically when you have to pay so much money. But I think you make your money back by not having to buy nitro.
Just as my nitro burners you always have to be working on the machine. Tighten and retighten. But I think the payoff is worth it.
The machine is much fun to run. I don't want to stop.
Take care and have fun God bless everyone.
Semper Fi.

Yes I do agree. I am having fun with truck. I already like it more than nitro. I like the sound too !

hi guys

i have octane for exactly 2 weeks ..
had no brakes .. needed to mod them to work.
had one pack of batteries dead from the hobby shop - replaced.
gears had to be tuned since it didnt shift from 1st .... tuned .. now running fine.
had the rx antenna tube broken in 3rd day .. (stiff long tube with heavy car that rolls over every now and then ... not the best design )

now i have some new problem, the steering servo is moving but not moving the wheels ..
only two weeks.

the design of the electricity box is sooo bad ... inserting the battery packs in is impossible mission.
it is not water prove at all ... not even splashes ...

the only thing i can say is,
i have traxxas summit for the last 4 years .. had two steering servos dead, and hihg-low micro servo dead in this time ....
i have a 30 years old tamiya hornet .. had to change the battery pack two years ago ...

in my country this is not an easy project .. i paid 1130$ for this car ... and i am not happy with the quality of it.
i had 8 tanks by now ... and it is a crazy thing, extremely fast ... the sound of the motor is making me horny .. .. it gives me boots of adrenaline while running it ... but the turn off when new sh#$% is happening every second day .. :(

i like to mess around and play "mechanic joe" ..
but so many problems in so short time .... well ... i think i will also not get another hpi car in the future.

but, this is here a good community with good support !!

thanks guys.

Zip tie the antenna to the roll cage and for the steering tighten up the steering saver use thread lock to keep the adjustment nut in place. Also get a better steering servo

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back