Is anyone happy with their truck?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just taking a poll because I have had nothing but problems from day one with my HPI Savage Octane and about to get rid of it...

If you have an octane, they certainly have their share of trials. Are you in MN? I ask because of your screen name. If so, maybe I can help ya out. I don't have an octane, but I'm pretty good with the savage trucks. :)

If you have an octane, they certainly have their share of trials. Are you in MN? I ask because of your screen name. If so, maybe I can help ya out. I don't have an octane, but I'm pretty good with the savage trucks. :)

Yes, where are you in MN?

As far as I can see, you haven't reported or asked about one single of your problems here on the forum. How come? What issues have you had, or are still experiencing?

Mostly the tuning, I was hoping there wouldn't be so much as a nitro...guess I was wrong.

I have a Savage Flux and I LOVE it. I hate to see you get rid of your Savage, but if you do, get a Flux. No Nitro to worry about and they are fast and fun. No tuning, just plug in your batteries and go. You will only have to charge your batteries, and do some maintenance, but you will have that with any RC. :)

From what I've heard from others, it's usually the break-in that's a pain in the butt, and once that's done, the tuning is not that much of a big issue, also the car doesn't need to be re-tuned depending on weather, like a nitro.

I've had some issues during break in, and are still not quite done. Regular cleaning of the spark plug, a separate spark plug earth cable, securing contact in sensor connector and a LiPo CDI battery made a huge difference for me getting the car to run during break in.

I'm not happy about the truck (or hpi) at all.

I never thought HPI would present poor designs and solutions like this as a finished product.
In my case the battery box, CDI and connections has given me much grief.

HPI not answering any of the support mails does not help either.

I will not buy anything from HPI after this experience.

I'm with OWi, I question whether I will buy anything from HPI again after this experience.

I fully understand you. And I have to agree about their support. I've asked a couple of questions but no response at all from US. I asked about sound levels of the car and the 'upgrade' muffler. No one knows, quite strange they fix an upgrade muffler to reduce noise but can't give any info what difference it makes. Here's a video you can listen to they said. Yeah right,like my mobile phone have the sound system to reproduce the noice of an Octane. It seemes like they are just shoving their heads in the sand and hope the complaints will disappear.

How long have you had the truck? Where did you buy it? Is it under warranty? Have you tried calling instead of mailing? All of my questions are relevant. I have had excellent experience with HPI and hobbico. Don't give up yet.:)

It is always the correct way to judge a company, by how it treats its customers.
If they miss out answering one email may be one thing, but when they stick their head in the sand and don't respond to any, it is just no ok in any way.

hpi makes great products, with the exeption of the octane. don't judje a company based on one product/experience.

and hobbico has been nothing but helpful to me. weird.

It seems like Hobbico has been real hit or miss with everyone. With me they have happened to be a miss. Since I have to deal with them for my warranty issues whenever I buy HPI I question buying from HPI anymore. Their customer service has not been very good. They are nice over the phone but I feel like they have an "it's your fault your truck doesn't run right" mentality when corresponding through email. I had to pay out of pocket for something that should have been covered under warranty.

I'm happy with mine....guessing this answer is not normal thou sadly=(

Happy with mine. I had a small problem with starting and stalling. Took it back to where i got it and they charged the battery,they also adjusted the idle. Now the octane starts on second pull and runs good. On my fifth tank of gas and it is starting to pull the front wheel off the ground. The carb is still at factory spec's

Yea just hit my 11th tank and it had started stalling out. But it was only the spark plug getting dirty and a slight adjustment to my throttle trim. Cleaned the plug and it was good to go. Now if I only didn't have to work sigh......

Happy with mine. I had a small problem with starting and stalling. Took it back to where i got it and they charged the battery,they also adjusted the idle. Now the octane starts on second pull and runs good. On my fifth tank of gas and it is starting to pull the front wheel off the ground. The carb is still at factory spec's

Well see, this is, IMO, exactly the problem. Your need to clean the spark plug so soon , is the result of a weak ignition system. I my case, the sparks are so weak I need to sand blast the spark plug after every tank, or I get the start/stall issues.

Well see, this is, IMO, exactly the problem. Your need to clean the spark plug so soon , is the result of a weak ignition system. I my case, the sparks are so weak I need to sand blast the spark plug after every tank, or I get the start/stall issues.

I think when breaking in these engines from factory the 25:1 mix is pretty rich and that build up happens pretty quick. I've been trying to lean it out on my 12th tank and cleaning my original plug as I go. Still running good but my engine is starting on like the 3rd or 4th pull and it stalls maybe every other run or so. I'm really close to finding that sweet spot, but work keeps getting in the way lol. Hopefully, I'll get to tune my transmission today after work.

I have not cleaned my spark plug. and it still looks good. No build up as of yet. Maybe with a fully charged battery or a 1600 MAH you might get a better spark out of it and not have to clean it so much. FYI I'm still new to the gas power rc thing. Had a old battery powered on about 15 years ago. just got back onto it because my son got into it a couple of months ago.

Latest posts

Members online

Back