I went to my first race on the weekend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTBikerTim

Brushless Power!!!
I took my savage racing on the weekend. It was great fun. I learnt that I can't drive even though I kind of knew this already. I also learnt that my truck is set up horribly for racing. The track is fairly tight and I was having all sorts of trouble staying on the track. First race went well and I some how ended up in first. Second race I started late due to blowing a new glow plug (which worries me) and then I only made 1 lap before I broke a rear drive shaft. Third race and first of the finals I started OK got into first by blocking and running other people off the track and then crashed and moved to the fitting place of last. I then decided to plow into the pit box halfway down the main straight. Being a savage everything seemed OK until I went over the first jump and the spring feel out of one of the front shocks. I had broken a shock shaft (stupid unreliable losi parts).

Overall it was quite a fun day. I definitely need to change the suspension setup. I think some new wheels are in order. Thicker oil in the front to pull it around corners better. Probably most of all I think I need to gear it up a bit. I had far too much torque. With the nova clutch shoes and running 15 49 it wants to wheel stand constantly which makes it really hard to go around corners.

Any suggestions on what weight oil for the front diff? Remembering this is a fairly tight track any other recommendations.

Here is a tip, remove 4 shocks or put fuel line on the shock shafts to make it have a lower stance. I race dirt oval and only run 4 shocks while racing. My tire setup is 40 series pro-line wabash wheels wrapped with some panther python tires.

Racing is an entirely different world of driving style........bashing is fun and so is racing but racing makes you want to improve your driving ability/style.

Racing is an entirely different world of driving style........bashing is fun and so is racing but racing makes you want to improve your driving ability/style.

That is very true. It also calls for a very different car setup. I thought I would be able to at least race with my car setup for bashing but it was pathetic. It was a hand full to drive on such a small tight course. Very different to the normal bashing I do. I'm running Losi shocks at the moment. I bought a set of spacers to mount the shocks directly to the A arms from innovative RC just to get another order with free shipping. I never actually planned on using them but it looks like I will be now. It should lower the truck considerably and keep the front wheels down but also allow me to stiffen the suspension without raising the truck back up.

i would hate to see what i would drive like in a race type setting!! lol i have a hard enough time keeping from crashing when I'm just bashing!! lmao but atleast you have the choice as theres no rc clubs or tracks were i live which is kinda a bummer!!

Latest posts

Members online

Back