I have an idea.. is it bad?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noakes75

Alright, so I have been reading a lot about mid tanks. I am kind nervous about moving servos around though, plus I figure this would give me about the same amount of fuel as an ofna 250cc (I would think) and it would be kinda different. Which I know isn't always a good thing. (I'm sure some of you know I'm still fairly new to this realm of things). It seems to be a very worth while mod. Here is my idea though.
*This is a very rough idea and I have only thought about it for about 30 mins or so*
You take two of the muegen MBX5T, or a similar type tank and you mount two of them just ahead of the engine on the outside of the TVPs (one on each side). Now I know you're thinking that it would get the tar smashed out of it so I know it would need some type of roll cage or something going over the fuel cells. As for the exhaust I was considering using something like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RDLogics-TYPE-X...m14_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:2|240:1318

Both tanks would obviously be hooked to the carb. I figured this set up would give the benefits of a mid tank mod with out having to move the servos. It would also help with the added fuel.

Please any type of feed back would be nice. I am honestly considering starting this project but I would like some other opinions on weather this is a good idea or not.

Also, I noticed alot of you guys use the CEN FF007 Radio Box. Me being a newb is kinda confused about that. I know what it does, but do you have to do anything special to your controller for it to pick up that one? I still have the factory controller so I'm not sure if that one would work with that. Does the CEN FF007 Radio Box offer any other type of benifits besides it's mounting ease?

the dual tanks are a good idea but that exhaust definatly is a bad idea if you just put the one tank on in the stock location it would solve the 1/2 tank lean . the cen radio box is just a box you reuse the factory reciever, so the stock radio gets reused

1/2 tank lean i think you may cause yourself more headaches mounting 2 tanks on the outside of your tvps & by the time you mount 'em & make a cage it will be more work than relocating your servos for a mid tank. don't be intimitated about moving your servos bro, there is a ton of info here & anyone in the shout box can help you along.. here are a couple of other options that will help with your 1/2 tank lean, but not increase fuel cap new era #1 new era #2
rear-mount pipe haven't used it, but have seen a lot of feedback on how they get destroyed easily on a bad landing.. there are a ton of great pipes out there that side mount (ths, ofna 086, buku), that will increase performance, don't think you want to limit yourself to a rear mount to accommodate the outer front tanks.
cen box.. not sure what you mean. it is just a plastic box that i used to remove the stock radio/servo box (when i relocated my servos) so that the radio box & mugen tank would fit side-by-side on the servo plate.
its a little more work, but i recommend an rpm side mount radio box and 250cc ofna mid tank... excellent run time..

a 2 stroke engine relys on a tuned pipe to have a back preasure wave to stop the air fuel mix from escaping the engine. those rear exhausts are not tuned they are basically a muffler, so you will lose power and use more fuel

well said guys!!! but i've read that the tsias rear exhaust actually works well, by someone here at the forum but not sure who it was now!!!

alright, well judging by the feedback I can see that it is an ok to bad idea. I suppose I will just try to tackle the traditional mid tank.

OK, i didn't know that the cen box is nothing more then a box. I thought it had sometype of electironics in it.. (feeling kinda dumb)

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I will just do something similar to what the judge did on here. He seemed to have a pretty good build page that was it depth.

alright, well judging by the feedback I can see that it is an ok to bad idea. I suppose I will just try to tackle the traditional mid tank.

OK, i didn't know that the cen box is nothing more then a box. I thought it had sometype of electironics in it.. (feeling kinda dumb)

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I will just do something similar to what the judge did on here. He seemed to have a pretty good build page that was it depth.

Not a dumb idea... no idea is dumb unless it involves fire or kidney stones i learned the hard way..

just need a tuned pipe that you can hang out the back of your savy....

haha, thanks sunken. Well I think that may be some trouble eh? (i don't know) but it seems to me that each type of engine would prefer its own exhaust. Like different size engines. Kinda like a car. You know, you may use 3 inch on a 1974 454, but if you have your 2008 accord with a 4 banger in it you may not want to use 3 inch on the exhaust. Or am I way off the beatin trail? So (someday) when I upgrade the engine I would have to find an engine that would match a tuned exhaust coming out the rear. I just don't know if that would be a very feasible idea.

haha, thanks sunken. Well I think that may be some trouble eh? (i don't know) but it seems to me that each type of engine would prefer its own exhaust. Like different size engines. Kinda like a car. You know, you may use 3 inch on a 1974 454, but if you have your 2008 accord with a 4 banger in it you may not want to use 3 inch on the exhaust. Or am I way off the beatin trail? So (someday) when I upgrade the engine I would have to find an engine that would match a tuned exhaust coming out the rear. I just don't know if that would be a very feasible idea.

you are correct different size engines require different pipes my OS 30 doesnt really like the same pipe that my k5.9 does...

yea, that's kinda what I'm worried about. It seems most ppl run a side pipe (i guess it's called) and that's what the style of alof of performance pipes thus making it a pain in my backside.. I think I will just go with a traditional mid tank. I was just thinking that it would be kinda unique.

Noakes, no saying "dumb question" or anything like that bro...... you got a question, you ask, someone that knows will answer or help. period. trust me, people are reading these posts and getting answers..... keeps the forum growing... :resp: :resp: :resp: :resp:

people ask questions to learn knowledge. ive heard it said that if you don't learn something new everyday that you are dead. not one person can know everything (altho we all like to think so lol). so the only dumb question is the one that goes unasked. so keep the ideas coming a fresh point of view is always welcome .

alright, thanks for the enthusiasm guys. I'm kinda outta my world here so this is helping...
But if you ever need help with a 1:1 blackhawk or Huey just let me know :)

Latest posts

Members online

Back