I got me a T - nickname "Basketcase" lol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orcusomega

Well on New Years Eve i picked up a used T clone, and have been replacing the clone parts with genuine HPI parts - love it so far! I knew it needed some work, so it has been fun to wrench on - should have the engine today!

I'll post pics soon!

Bob

Don't be a hater! :)

Yes, it is a basket case - a lot of the $$ I have spent so far is cuz I wanted to (upgrades, etc). The only things I NEEDED were the RX batt, tires, and a rear body mount... It ran when I bought it, but the first time I fired it up, it ran 30 seconds and died - turns out the wrist pin retainer popped out and snapped the ring... Instead of rebuilding it I just ordered a HPI engine - known quantity, good motor, lots of aftermarket support and surprisingly inexpensive. I added a few goodies along the way - upgraded air filter, upgraded shocks, just ordered the pull start filter and crank case filter, plus a much better kill switch... When I add everything up, I am still MUCH lower than a new HPI, and turns out I have all the important HPI stuff :) HPI motor, radio box, hi-torque HPI steering servo, engine, and rear diff. I broke the entire thing down, cleaned and lubed everything. Rear diff, which is apparently supposed to be significantly different than the HPI, but it was apparently upgraded by the previous owner.

All in all I am pretty happy - so far :) I have a remote kill switch coming that will work off the third channel on my DX3S, either automatically if it glitches or loses contact with the TX, or I can kill it remotely from the controller (the kill switch is connected to the manual engine kill switch on the side of the case, its a pretty slick design).

I hope to have it running tomorrow - motor should be in today!

Bob

OK, so here's some pics:

When I got it, it needed a few things:

Tires:
%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

RX Battery
%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

Rear shocks:
%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

So I started putting together the needs and the wants :) While I was waiting for the goodies to come in, I started tearing it down. The trans had been completely swapped out with an HPI trans (you can tell from the purple anodizing and the HPI differential - all broken down, cleaned, lubed, and re-assembled)...

I also pulled off the head cover, and found that the previous owner liked to drive in the grass:
%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

and in trying to start it, I found out that there was a problem inside too - while pulling the starter cord, the engine locked solid. I pulled the engine apart, and found that the wrist pin retainer had popped out and lodged between the piston, intake port, and the cylinder wall. It did run, and well, when I tested it before I bought it - oh well. I just ordered a new engine off eBay for $85 :)

Last night, I got it all put back together - ready to try it tonight or tomorrow - cross your fingers for me!
%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

More pics, and hopefully video, soon!

Bob

Definitely looks fun! I want to get a 5T once I've been back to work for a while. Now... how to convince the wife that we have room for it? LOL. That thing makes the XL look tiny!

Well, been a few weeks, and this thing is fun as hell :)

The T body and all the trimmings are HEAVY, so I sprung for the parts necessary to convert it to a B - then I can have the best of both worlds. Here's what she looks like after the conversion:
%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

I did remove the red rings - they don't fit quite right with the Badland rear tires. I have a decal set coming soon to tie it all together!

More to come!

Bob

Looks good! After I bought my Baja, I rarely play with anything else. I've been thinking of letting all my other RC's go...even my Savages. It's just so much easier to gas and go!

Looks good! After I bought my Baja, I rarely play with anything else. I've been thinking of letting all my other RC's go...even my Savages. It's just so much easier to gas and go!

I know - isn't that the truth! Tuning is stupid easy, but they weigh a hell of a lot more than a Savage :)

Bob

Latest posts

Members online

Back