Hpi threaded aluminum vs big bores

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I'm thinking about upgrading in the shock department....no complaints with the stock set...I'm actually just itching to spend a little money on my xl

So ive been looking at the threaded aluminum shock set from HPI.
They seem to just be aluminum stock shocks with a coilover adjustment and thats fine....but do you think the big bores are better?

Ive heard tons of good stuff about the big bores minus the leaking problems that some unfortuante folks have had

Then it comes to the threaded set and i havenot seen anyone talk about them.

So what do you guys think?

hpic0720.jpg

hpic1712.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two sets of big bores and I haven't had any trouble with them.. I have ran other shocks and they gave me nothing but trouble. So I would recomend the big bores to you...

ive not run threaded aluminum, like you said not much different from stockers.

big bores all the way for me.

i have had two set of big bores....my 1st set leaked because the bottom half wasn't screwed on....but these i have now are fine. go with the big bores i say! i have had the threaded aluminum ones and had problems blowing and stripping the tops off

haven't ran either but i have only heard good things about the big bores and only bad things about the threaded ones.

savage coles truck has the threaded shocks on it and the only advantage i can see with the threaded shock is looks, and cheap replacement parts as all stock parts fit.

my truck has the flux big bores on it and for the three tanks i ran with them i love them. so go with the bigbores imo.

I've had both BB and previously the aluminum threaded set. I got the threaded ones as gift and didn't like them. Beside the rubber boot I think they are just about the same as the stockers. Not much difference.
So I switched to BB. Never had the time to test them as I've just finished reassembling the truck, but I only hear good things about BB

Same as most people I have switched from the plastic stock shocks to the BBs. I have only had a chance to run them once so far. I busted my rear diff that day. anyway, I really like them. landings seem smoother and I feel like I am planted on the ground better when I go over some bumps.

I to am thinking of going either with the aluminum threaded shocks or the big bores on the x 4.6 RTR. Are the BB that much better then the threaded ones? What is a good wt of shock oil for bashing?

Thanks

Kevin.

I have the alum. ones on my truck now and they work well enough but if you are going to spend money you should spend it on something better than what you have go with the BB's replacement parts may cost more but thats the name of the game.

P.S. I break more shock parts with the alum than I did with the plastic so if you're not going BB don't do anything.

Big Bores FTW. My Flux handles great, and lands 20' long jumps like it never left the ground. After several months of hard bashing, they are starting to take on a slight bend, but I figure I've still got weeks of running left in them before they go, or I can replace the shafts now from Tower and save having to buy new bodies.

Members online

Back