Hpi threaded aluminum shocks review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy

HPI SAVAGE THREADED ALUMINUM SHOCKS REVIEW
shocks.jpg

First of all I would like to thank Mega for sending me this set of shocks ... THANKS JOHN !!!!

Hpi has had these shocks out on the market for awhile now. There are some mixed reviews of these shocks. A lot of people say aluminum shocks sucks because the shock body don't "give". and are more prone to bending the shaft. And if you are a serious basher (like myself) then stay away from aluminum shocks... This is what others claim is the problem with aluminum shocks.

So I have a chance to do a review on them and give you MY honest opinion . I will Bash these shocks hard and see how well they do hold up too bashing..

Price: $135.00
Part number: A712
PARTS LIST... Some people are probably asking themselves... "what if I break a part on these shocks" well I am posting replacement parts list on this review. have a look...
#86055 SHOCK SHAFT 3x86mm (SILVER/2pcs) .... $5.00 x 2
#86183 ALUMINUM BOTTOM SHOCK CAP ........$8.00 x 2
#6816 SILICONE O-RING S10.................................$ 2.00 x6
#86179 ALUMINUM THREADED SHOCK BODY $ 20.00 x 2
#86181 SHOCK CAP.................................................$12.00 x 2
#86182 SHOCK NUT ADJUSTER ............................$6.00 x 2
#85108 Rubber Boot ...................................................$4.00 x 2
.....................................................................................................................................................................................I would like to thank all the people that help me find these parts.. AGAIN THANK YOU . (found them on HPI's website)

These alloy shocks are a direct replacement for the stock Savage shocks, so they will fit on all Savage trucks. And comes pre-assembled, the only thing you must do is add shock oil .. 30 WT OIL is what hpi recommends . so thats what I am filling them with. There is also and extra set of pistons. so you can adjust to suit your style of driving. I will talk more about them later.. They also come with rubber boots to help protect the shock shaft..

Filling the shock with oil ...

1. slowly push the shock shaft all the way into the shock body..
2.Fill the shock with oil all the way to the top. Keeping the shock shafts all the way in.
3. slowly pull the shaft out all the way. Don't go to fast and oil will shoot out of the shock body.
4. watch for air bubbles rising to the top. if the are repeat step 3
5. fill the shock body with oil if necessary.
6. with the shaft all the way in the shock body put the cap on slowly allow time for the air to escape out from under the shock cap. These shocks are nice because they have a bleeder hole on the shock caps.. Makes it easier to bleed.
Take your time filling the shock making sure there is no air bubbles . The shock shaft should NOT rebound if the shock is filled right. If the shock rebounds then you have filled the shock to full of oil.. Also you can blow your shock if you have the too much oil in the shock.. SO TAKE YOUR TIME !!!!

TESTING !!!!

I have 1/4 gallon almost on these shocks. I have them adjusted for jumping, because that's what I do most..
I love how easy they are to adjust.. Twist the adjustment nut up to give it a softer feel. Or twist the nut down it stiffen the springs. Very nice and easy to get the Certain feel your looking for. The shocks soaked up everything I threw at them today. From Moguls style bumps to 15 foot air . I love how they keep all four tires planted. Really nice to have full control of your truck on sharp turns. My truck felt like a different truck . On Huge jumps the truck landed perfect, with the stock shocks I would get a nice "bounce" at the landing . Most of the time it would cause the truck to flip on it's side. But the alloy shocks are soaking the big jumps up. VERY NICE !!!

RACERS ..... I think these shocks will benefit racers allot like I have said, VERY easy to adjust and, they come with an extra set of pistons that are for on road use. I haven't tested them yet. I will when I get the chance.
I have noticed that the "bladders" (they cover and protect the shaft) they get bunched up at the bottom b/c they get filled with air and the air can't escape.. I put a few little pin holes at the top of that bladders and it help.. I only did that on the front shocks. I will see how it works..

MORE TESTING . Well I had some time yesterday to really beat on these shocks.. AND BEAT I DID, lol .... Anyway they took everything I threw at them. 20 foot air , to Crazy crashes, Hard Noise dives and 2 wheel landings. I adjusted the shocks. So that the springs had ALLOT of preload.. (not a good thing to do when your jumping 20 foot in the air.) just to see what kind of punishment they could take. THEY TOOK IT ALL !!!! No problems whatsoever .. Check for leaks .. found none .. check for bent shafts FOUND NONE!!!
So far so good with these shocks.. But I noticed the "bladders" (they cover and protect the shaft) they get bunched up at the bottom b/c they get filled with air and the air can't escape.. I put a few little pin holes at the top of that bladders and it help.. I only did that on the front shocks. I will see how it works..

COMPARISON.. How do they compare to the stocks shocks? Depending how you adjust the spring tension the shocks make the ride height about the same of the stock hpi shocks . You can't adjust they stock shocks like you can the threaded. They only thing you can do with the stock shock is change springs add spaces and change oil.. They leak like crazy and are prone to failure.. With the alloy shock you can "fine" tune your suspension. unlike the stockers. They are also really easy to bleed. The shock shafts are VERY well supported in the shock body. And More testing will tell if they hold up.

PROBLEMS...

Did some bashing today (only ran 3 tanks) because of the rain . The shock shaft snapped at the threaded part of the shaft.. It did bend a little but it pretty much made a clean break.. SO I tore the shock down and replaced it with a stock hpi savage shock shaft... They are exactly the same so it was a really easy fix .. Thank god because I didn't want to order new shafts.. This is good news b/c most people are going to have allot of replacement shafts laying around, from there original shocks..

A little video of shocks in action ..

Ok ... here is some bashing w/ the shocks. I lost my mid range needle and I replaced it... BUT if you know how hard it is to retune an engine When your mid range needle back out . you will understand why my truck sounds like crap .. Also it sounds like it's running lean at the end of the video b/c I was running out of fuel. Also on the back flip is where I bent the shock .. Hope You enjoy THANKS

VIDEO CLICK ME ~~!!!

10-4-07003.jpg

Part 2

Written by: John Helton

We have read Jeremy's review and have seen the bent parts and the cost of these shocks. So to this I will just add some action shots and explanations to them.
First we will look at some shots where I was doing nose dives to break the shocks on purpose.

I did 20 plus off center landing trying to bend or break a shock. After all that lets talk about damage.
2 diff ring gears
2 diff pinion gears
2 rubber sealed bearings (pinion)
4 ceramic bearings ( diffs )
2 bent dog bones
1 broken dog bone

This is just some of the parts broken. Not a bit of damage to the shocks except for a nick on one of the caps. As far as I can see these shocks are a good upgrade for a truck if you can get over the price and the replacement costs. I would keep that in mind before investing in them. If your a basher that plays very hard the stock shocks might be the way to go do to the replacement costs.
Nice launch and the shocks are fully extended.

Now we will look at a clean landing.

If you look closely you can see even with 30 weight oil the shocks are using all there travel. This is a light jump from 5 feet in the air and landing 10 feet from the ramp. This is where I think the problem is. On really big jumps and you land off center there is no give and you snap parts. The shocks fully compressing off of a short jump and the truck doing belly slaps is not that good of a thing. The suspension has no more travel so the energy has to go somewhere. This is where the damage to the shocks and other components is coming from. I will change my spring and oil ratio to try and combat this.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look at these 2 pics the first one that is a hard 2nd gear wheelie and the chassis is twisting under the load. On the second is a hard launch and you can see the shocks in the rear are fully compressed and dragging the tail. The shocks aren't holding the suspension at the proper angle. I think it needs heavier oil.

Tunability 9
Performance 7
Part quality 9
Value 6

Good +
you have a better control on preload
Quality of work
options and interchangeability of HPI parts ( you can use stock shock shafts )
Bad-
Price If you have a tight budget this will hurt some
a lot of sag with the recommended oil weight
To nice looking to scratch up.
I also did a small upgrade to the shocks and we will see how it works.
shocks2.jpg

Just my thoughts. But I do like them and will not go back to stock.:10:

Hows this. Stock X 4.6 with upgraded shocks. 47 foot Grave Digger jump to win the Tricked out Baja. Henry Cross of the Diggers Dungeon with Black Magic.

http://www.hpibajaforum.com/Digger/BlackMagic.wmv

Well I installed the different pistons that come w/ the shocks BAD IDEA for BASHING .. They have only one hole instead of the 2 holes that come in the shocks when they are assembled..
IMG_0066.jpg

They make the shocks pretty stiff probably good for racing BASHING IS A NO NO !!!!!!!
IMG_0063.jpg

Yes today and 2 tanks this is what happened. So I will be replacing these shafts. And putting the other pistons back in.. Hope you like my damage.
IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

This will be an on going review and I will update it as soon as I get more info. Please let me know what else I can do .. this is my first shock upgrade and I'am rather clueless about shocks. So please if you need to know something PLEASE ASK !!!!!

i almost bought a set of those a while ago but after i heard everyones opinion of the alum shocks i changed my mind!! maybe i was wrong!!

nicely explained sj as always!!!!!!!

As I stated in chat those shocks can take some serious abuse, just take care of them is all. This is a nice review and I am sure everyone can't wait to see how they hold up for you.

This will be an on going review and I will update it as soon as I get more info. Please let me know what else I can do .. this is my first shock upgrade and Iam rather clueless about shocks. So please if you need to know something PLEASE ASK !!!!!

Hi,

I have a question, I see in your parts list the shaft's are 3mm x 86mm, ok in the picture it looks like the shaft is really, almost as wide as the body. What is that? Is it something over the shaft?

Thanks,

John

Hello all ,first post here-I think you are seeing the rubber boots Wister-and great write up SJ,looking forward to more opinions after hard bashing from you,Dave

Hello all ,first post here-I think you are seeing the rubber boots Wister-and great write up SJ,looking forward to more opinions after hard bashing from you,Dave

I think there th boots too, never seen them before.

@SJ- In your writeup you say there shouldn't bee any rebound, are you talking about when you push on the shaft it, well acts kind like there is a spring inside the tube and pushes the shaft back down? I assume that's the case. Ok mine do that, I did fill the oil to the top, I guess I have too much oil in there? See I was thinking that they had to be full because they say and you say to get all the bubbles out of the oil. To me if ywe leave any air in the shock body then, there will be bubbles in the oil at some point anyway, see what I mean?

How much oil or how full should we fill the shock body? I mean, if there is a way to overfill the shock witrh oil then there has to be room for something else, I am confused about this, I do thaave the rebound on one set of shocks, the other there is no rebound, I filled both of them the same way. I know there is something I am missing or not understanding. I was wondering why one of them had the rebound, didn't think it seemed right.

Thanks for any help,

John

Hey john...

When you fill the shocks and (making sure there is no air in them)... if they are filled right w/no air, the shock SHOULDNT rebound when you have the spring off and compress the shock. they should just feel smooth. Remember the springs will produce the rebound and the shocks are just to damper the impact. hope this helps. thanks all for the good feedback

Anymore ?'s pleas ask

Hey SJ nice review so far.

I was wondering if we could put prices to these hop ups we are testing, we

will all search out our own best deal but, this would give people an idea of

cost.

what do ya think?

Sounds like a plan .....

From ebay yopu can get them for $86.00 + shipping
On hpi raing web site there $120.00 (out of stock )

Hey john...

When you fill the shocks and (making sure there is no air in them)... if they are filled right w/no air, the shock SHOULDNT rebound when you have the spring off and compress the shock. they should just feel smooth. Remember the springs will produce the rebound and the shocks are just to damper the impact. hope this helps. thanks all for the good feedback

Anymore ?'s pleas ask

Thanks, Yes, I am talking with no springs, it is weird, one set (their both the stock HPI shocks)one set is real smooth, the next set, I filled the same way but when I push the rod it rebounds on its own, not like the springs but not like the smooth set. On the set that rebound I can push them in about half way then they want to stop then when I let go they rebound back about half or 3/4 that distnance back. It is weird. I will take them apart again and see what I can find.

Thanks, that's a great write up, give 'em h311 and let us know if (or when)you break them. :)

John

Hi,

I just recieved a set of these shocks and am in the middle of filling them. I want to thank you for the instructions on how to fill these, The set I have that i filled that rebound were filled incorrectly, I filled them with the shaft out of the body. I see how they can be overfilled now. I don't know why I didn't see it before but with the shaft in the body it takes some of the space for oil. I feel so stupid for not seeing it is so ovious.

Thanks,

I like thes very much so far..

John

just ordered a set off a guy on ebay for $85 bucks not to bad of price!!

and thanks sj, without your review i would have never bought them for the simple fact that everyone said alum shocks were garbage. i think doing all these reviews on products is a huge help for people to decide which way to go as far as "hop ups" or whatever u want to call them

i just found these shocks!!View attachment 805 they go for about $120 canadian they are called automan heavy duty savage shocks with piggy backs!! I'm thinking of buying a set of these as well as the hpi ones just to see how good of a shock they are! but they look strong and they have dust covers on them as well!! check out automanhobby.com tell me what u guys think of these....

p.s.. they come in a pack of 2 for like $29.00 so for the set about $120

Never really found out what the "piggy backs do" what is that anyway ... like I said B 4 Iam new at the shock game

Never really found out what the "piggy backs do" what is that anyway ... like I said B 4 Iam new at the shock game

What I've read about the piggyback's they say they do a couple things ??? first it is an oil reserve and the extra space and oil helps keep the oil cooler. Do they really do anything, I don't know. Well I guess it would keep the oil cooler, how much ??? and soes the oil really get hot enough to worry about I have no idea either.

John

The shocks do get a work out on these trucks and the extra oil does help. As for keeping it cooler should that is why the big trucks do it. As the piston moves up and down it creates heat through friction and with the reservoir there is space to hold more oil and get rid of heat.

Your right, it probably does get pretty hot (which makes it thinner too) I was thinking it wouldn't get hot enouigh to worry about but when you concider how much those shocks move they probably do get pretty hot.

Thanks,

John

I'm sure u had already said this but what wt of shock oil are u running in those sj? are u running the advised 30 wt just curious because i have a set on the way

cool then i got the right stuff!! lol i ordered the shocks and losi 30 wt silicon shock fluid and will be using your tips to fill them properly so thank you for posting how to fill them as i would have no idea otherwise how to do it correctly

Hi,

I got a set of these shocks I ve been using tem for the last couple days. I am not getting no where near 20 foot air, but they do really keep the wheels on the ground on a bumpy yard.

I like everything about them, except maybe the bladders. Like SJ said they bunch up and do fill with air, Ive also seen them empty of air where the shock wouldn't extend all the way. I haven't decided to remove them yet I will just wait and see.

Something I do that I think may benefit us all is, when I buy something because of a review I read hear (or on other forums I’ve been on in the past) is I either leave a comment or write a email letting the manufacturer know where I heard about or read a review about their product. Especial if the company sent the product to the forum to be tested and reviewed. Hopefully that will help in getting more stuff to test, and for all of us to read about. I just got a pretty cool email from HPI from a email I wrote about this.

John

Sweet .. what did the email say .. we wanna know????

j/k .. it's yours but thanks for emailing them tho that's a cool idea

On the shock bladders... might wanna try some Vaseline on the INSIDE of the bladders .. I noticed that helps also. (just a little)

Sweet .. what did the email say .. we wanna know????

j/k .. it's yours but thanks for emailing them tho that's a cool idea

On the shock bladders... might wanna try some Vaseline on the INSIDE of the bladders .. I noticed that helps also. (just a little)

I didn't see this post for some reason, I will paste the email and reply from them HPI.

Paste

Sent: Friday, September 21, 2007 9:04 PM
To: Support
Subject: Support request for Customer Service from John Grebas.

Support e-mail for Customer Service
John Grebas has sent the following request for support.

Hi,

Please foward this to the correct person.

I have recently been buying a lot of your products and upgrades, 2 Savage's one RTR and one sS and a lot of hpi upgrade parts. I just wanmt to give credit where it"s due. Almost all of the items I purchased because of a forum called HPISF, they write reviews and have answered many questions both before and after I bought.

Just wanted to let you guys know you have a product that those guys love and back. HPISF has never steered me wrong, and I am glad I didn"t get the revo, which I provbably would have because they come with reverse. I am glad I found that forum.

Regards,

John

Thank you,
HPI Racing | Support Automation
END PASTE

PASTE REPLY
John,

Thanks for the e-mail! We definitely appreciate the support and am glad you decided on a Savage. Having played and seen all the other monster trucks I am a true believer in the Savage myself. If I could purchase any monster truck on the market I would still have to pick the Savage. The Savage Forum is a good place to go for any info. you may need on the Savage. Good luck with her in the future, the sky’s the limit as far as upgrades!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer Service
Hobby Products International/ HotBodies Racing
70 Icon Street
Foothill Ranch, CA 92610 USA
949 753 1099
949 753 1098 fax

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
END PASTE

Anyway that's it, I think it's worth the time to do, those shocks have been working great for me, haven't even leaked a drop yet. These reviews help a lot, I wish there was one for every product I have bought.

John

SJ,

I am curious, on the shock that snaped, it brok in half and didn't bend? or can you tell if it bent from looking at the 2 peices? Where did it break at, about how far up fom the bottom.

Thanks,

John

WOW SJ. please add that to the review and your diagnosis and fix. also please include all the updates on the orginal review post so i don't have to hunt it down when it goes over to the hpisf.net site.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back