Hpi Steel Spur Gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedster

hey everyone, happy new year!!!
Anyway i got a steel spur gear for Christmas and installed it today, i was just wondering if there's anything real important i should know or do before i use it because I've never had one before. I also notice that it makes quite a bight of noise when you push it, i assume this i because of the metal on metal. Any thing is appreciated.... Thanks

I'm using one, haven't ran into a problem yet.. I would just recommend using a hardened clutchbell like a Vented Racing one from HPI and make sure you keep that gear mesh set correctly, or you'll have some issues.

http://www.hpieurope.com/walk.php?lang=en&id=14

Link to properly fitting the HPI Steel Spur Gear set (You can also see inside that link that HPI recommends the Vented CB)

Last edited by a moderator:
I also run the Steel spur gear w/vented racing clutch bell. Make sure you got the mesh right. Peace.

One thing i think i should mention is that i didn't get a new slipper clutch set, because i wasn't aware of it until this time. I just used the two parts from the plastic spur gear setup. Can you do this or do you ned to get the new clutch setup?

yup as long as the slipper pad actually stuck to the new spur it should be all good....i too run the hpi steel spur....with a hardened vented racing clutch bell (stock parts on an xss)

I get concerned about metal on metal gears unless they are completely enclosed and lubricated, such as in a gear box. I think that the plastic spur gears are more forgiving and to an extent are self lubricating. They can also absorb some of the impact if bits of grit get in between. IMO this is the best set up.

YOU MUST HAVE A HARDENED CLUTCH BELL!!!!

DO NOT RUN IT WITH THE SOFT OEM ONE OR YOU WILL DESTROY BOTH!!
The spur eats the CB, which in turn screws up mesh, which in turn EXPLODES the spur.
29520401473.jpg

I run a steel spur and have never experienced any problems. I am very suprised that there is no noticeable wear on either the CB or spur after 3 gallons - and grit hasn't been a problem

wow that is some pretty disgusting damage you have there. lol i Got a hardened clutch bell on there. Hopit had a pretty interesting point there about having lubricated gears, but i don't think that this is necessary.

I have had no problems with my steel/vented combo, it holds mesh perfectly haven't had to touch it since I last had the motor out.. Plastic is good to have as a backup because It don't cost $40 like the Steel Gear set, but no problems here with dust/dirt/grime/

It just keeps on rippin through nitro..

I have had no problems with my steel/vented combo, it holds mesh perfectly haven't had to touch it since I last had the motor out.. Plastic is good to have as a backup because It don't cost $40 like the Steel Gear set, but no problems here with dust/dirt/grime/

It just keeps on rippin through nitro..

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok well this is just excellent. I was out in the snow with it today ripen around and this is probably the 3rd tank i put through it. Any way all the screws that held the purple plate onto the cog wheel must have rattled out, no damage but it's a real bugger. And yes i did lock tight them.

Latest posts

Members online

Back