HPI Savage XL Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunkenMetal

This is my Review of the HPI Savage XL.

I have been out of the Savage world for about a year due to marriage and leaving the Military. So like an idiot I sell off my savage and keep my RS4 nitro 3 street car. The last Savage I owned was a Savage 25. So I am back in the Houston Texas area, I go into my local LHS and see this beast sitting there. I buy it; ****ed off the wife but oh well my couch is comfy. .

From my own personal research the Savage XL is a Savage X with longer TVP’s, longer rear dog bone, longer axels and of course the K5.9 Big block! But I am sure you all are aware of the specs. So the nice thing about this truck is unless you break any of the previously mentioned parts the XL uses the same parts as the Savage X.

The Motor is a K5.9 Big Block and it is a Beast, HPI specs it at 3.75 Horse power. That Power shows it has no problem lifting the front end off the ground on any surface. The Tuned two chamber polished aluminum Pipe is included so no need to up hop up needed there. If you like the rotostart2 system is part of package just like all other HPI RTR’s. I’m not a fan of the RotoStart so I installed a pull starter just my personal preference. If you want to convert to pull start it uses the same pull starter as the K4.6 Part# 15226.

DSC_1036.jpg

DSC_1040.jpg

The three speed transmission is nice, but second gear shifts way to late, and tuning it is a pain, you have to take the tranny apart to tune it. Witch if your out bashing and want to tune the sift point, you have to be careful to keep everything clean. But once everything is dilled in, the 3 speed tranny compliments the power of that Big Block motor. If you’re running on street it will try to pull the front end off the ground in all three gears! The Steel 52 Spur gear and three shoe clutch is a plus, no more melting the teeth off your nylon gear.

The electronics, Rechargeable batteries and charger are included. The SF5 Metal Geared Steering Servo is a lot better then the servo that came in my Savage 25. After Breaking in the motor, and a few bashing sessions I upgraded the steering with The HPI steering upgrade bearings Part# B045. Or any four of your Favorite brand of bearing size 6x10x3mm. The transmitter and receiver are the standard AM TF-3 setup. I upgraded the Receiver to work with my Futaba 3PM Radio. After upgrading the steering and radio gear, the response from the servo increased.

Chassis is pretty much standard Savage, just longer, about two inches aft of the motor. This extra room makes access to the motor a little bit easier. I’ve been playing around with a mid tank mod behind the motor, so if I get something worked out I’ll post it up.

DSC_1046.jpg

DSC_1044.jpg

DSC_1047.jpg

The body is longer so after market bodies may be an issue and may not look quite right on the truck.

DSC_1038.jpg

Over all the truck handles and jumps great.

Wrapping it all up things I like.

The motor it’s a monster with plenty of low end torque and the Three Speed transmission.
Tuned pipe, metal gear servo, and rechargeable batteries all included.

The things that I didn’t like.

The fuel tank it has the longer TVP’s and still the 160cc fuel tank. The big block drinks fuel like crazy, so why not a larger tank.

DSC_1050.jpg

The Tires, I am not fond of the Tera Pin tires, they deform, and have way to much sidewall flex.

So in conclusion, I give the Savage XL an A+. But that is in comparison to my experience with the Savage25 RTR.

You can access the second gear shiftpoint but I beleive you have to pull the gears out to get the third.

Nevermind, that's interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad i didnt offend anyone. i should probably post some better pictures of the transmission.

Metal

could you rate the truck for us / 1 - 10 scale / 10 being the best

example:

Tuning: 9
Maintenance: 10
Value: 10
Directions: 8
Quality: 9
Durability: 9
Performance: 2
THANK YOU

After having run 3 gallons for fuel through my XL I would rate this truck...

Tuning: 8 mid tank lean is an issue longer chassis maybe a new tank design would have been nice, and having to take the transmission apart to tune 2nd gear.
Maintenance: 9 Easy to work on....
Value: 10 comes with allot of upgrades like the hump pack and tuned pipe.
Directions: 10 HPI has always had nice manuals
Quality: 9 it’s an HPI truck only issue I had was thread lock all over the transmission buttons so it wouldn’t shift because it was all locked up.
Durability: 10 it’s a Savage....
Performance: 9 being an RTR there is always something to make it handle better, and go faster.......

hi just wondering on the gearing ?? i know it comes with a 52t spur but what clutch bell is on that XL ?????

After having run 3 gallons for fuel through my XL I would rate this truck...

Tuning: 8 mid tank lean is an issue longer chassis maybe a new tank design would have been nice, and having to take the transmission apart to tune 2nd gear.
Maintenance: 9 Easy to work on....
Value: 10 comes with allot of upgrades like the hump pack and tuned pipe.
Directions: 10 HPI has always had nice manuals
Quality: 9 it’s an HPI truck only issue I had was thread lock all over the transmission buttons so it wouldn’t shift because it was all locked up.
Durability: 10 it’s a Savage....
Performance: 9 being an RTR there is always something to make it handle better, and go faster.......

cool thanks:resp:

great review!! glad to learn a bit more about the xl as i don't know alot about it as of yet!!!

Thanks for the nice comments... if you have any questions ask I will answer them to the best of my abilities.:motorcycle:

Me and a buddy each bought one of these a couple weeks ago and we love them! Mine shifted through all gears really good. No need for adjustment, but my buddies needed the 3rd gear adjusted. Was coming in too late. Other than that, we both have had no problems. We both also own the 4.6 X's, but we both prefer the XL's now. Obviously!

Me and a buddy each bought one of these a couple weeks ago and we love them! Mine shifted through all gears really good. No need for adjustment, but my buddies needed the 3rd gear adjusted. Was coming in too late. Other than that, we both have had no problems. We both also own the 4.6 X's, but we both prefer the XL's now. Obviously!

Welcome to the forum, glad to hear you are enjoying your Savage Xl's

Hi everyone Just got a new Xl and am having a hard time with second gear shift and tuning the motor, anyone got a good start on needle settings and how to drop the 2nd gear shift ( a fast way beacuse the manual is very useless) any help would be greatly welcomedcornfused
thanks

little t you have to pull the top cover off the transmission and pull the tranny out to get to 2nd gear. 3rd gear is the only one you can reach from the outside of the case. i would turn it in a half turn. do not lube it either.

Hi everyone Just got a new Xl and am having a hard time with second gear shift and tuning the motor, anyone got a good start on needle settings and how to drop the 2nd gear shift ( a fast way beacuse the manual is very useless) any help would be greatly welcomedcornfused
thanks

With the 5.9 i had to back out the about 3/4 of a turn on my XL... also check your slipper clutch if it is to loose it wont shift.....:resp:

Nice review Nick. I missed it the first round through. Getting itchy for some more bashing!

Savage

Thanks guys will try the tranny when i get home what about the needle settings??? I got it to idle but the factory says 2 1\2 turn out is this right or not it is running about 220 to 240 f.cornfused

Thanks guys will try the tranny when i get home what about the needle settings??? I got it to idle but the factory says 2 1\2 turn out is this right or not it is running about 220 to 240 f.cornfused

Sounds about right, tuning has alot of variables involed, type of fuel being used (nitro percentage/oil content) air filter clean or dirty, the weather... so basically its about performance, you want to tune for performance, good take off, top speed but still want a cloud coming out your pipe.. its my opinion that HPI tuned the XL tranny for long high speed runs.. now matter how much i leaned out my 5.9 it didnt shift the same everytime. till i tuned the tranny.. also it took about half a gallon for my 5.9 break in so you might not be shifting because your motor isnt done loosening up...

Savage

I have only put 5 tanks threw it and try to let it cool down before I go out again.

Latest posts

Members online

Back