HPI Savage XL K5.9 Radio Conversion Analog to Digital Cost?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheelin Rev

I have an August 2009 HPI Savage XL K5.9 Truck with analog electronics that I am considering changing over to 2.4 GHz digital electronics. Has anybody done this conversion specifically in a Savage XL K5.9 truck? If so, I have the following questions:
  1. How involved (degree of difficulty) is the conversion?
  2. Roughly how much does the conversion cost for everything needed to do a complete conversion (truck and hand controller included).
  3. Is there a single kit part number that includes everything you need? I may be blind but in my search, I was not able to find a single, all-inclusive, kit.
I am trying to decide whether to see the HPI Savage XL K5.9 with analog electronics and pick up the newer Savage XL Flux or do the conversion to a 2.4 GHz control system. Anybody also want to weigh in on what would you do (WWYD)?

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance! Dave

You'll just need a new remote and receiver. It's very easy to swap them. Many around here like the Flysky units, and they are fairly cheap.

All of these range from about $30-50. Also they come with 1 receiver, so it's all you need if you are just changing over 1 Savage.

upload_2017-2-15_7-53-6.png
http://www.flyskyrc.com/

Sooooooo... Would this one for $47.99 from Amazon/stooctam-us be plug-n-play?

FlySky GT-3C 2.4GHz Radio Controller, Orange
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FS2U83O/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2P1F0527LD7PL

In other words, would I just unplug the current analog receiver and its connected servos and plug the existing servos into the new 2.4 GHz receiver on the truck end? And since it is 3-channel, I guess that is enough to handle the Savage XL K5.9's configuration?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I want to make sure I understand what I am doing here...

Thanks in advance! Dave

Oh yes, one other question, does the new 2.4 GHz receiver fit in the exact same mounting location as the old analog receiver on the truck end? And... Does the existing battery pack supply the power to the new 2.4 GHz receiver?

Not sure on the size, but yes it should likely fit. Only thing that may be required after you swap the receiver in the truck is binding the receiver to the remote.

Not sure on the size, but yes it should likely fit. Only thing that may be required after you swap the receiver in the truck is binding the receiver to the remote.

And by binding that is just "marrying" the transmitter to the receiver and I suppose that there would be instructions on how to go about doing that?

TIA! Dave

And by binding that is just "marrying" the transmitter to the receiver and I suppose that there would be instructions on how to go about doing that?

TIA! Dave

Should be instructions with them. Usually it is either holding/ pressing a button or inserting a binding jumper into the receiver. I've not owned a Flysky unit so I cannot tell you which it is.

Should be instructions with them. Usually it is either holding/ pressing a button or inserting a binding jumper into the receiver. I've not owned a Flysky unit so I cannot tell you which it is.

Thanks for your assistance. I sent you a private message too. Thanks again! Dave

Flysky was easy. Just did 3 recievers(FS-GR3E) to a transmitter(FS-GT3B) last week. took all of about 3 minutes to bind all 3 to the one transmitter. insert supplied binding jumper in open reciver channel and power the reciever, hold the button till it blink steady, turn on transmitter reciever light goes off. remove bind jumper from reciever and reboot transmitter and your good to go.
my flysky transmitter has an 18car memory so now wifey doesnt get the chance to run me over again with one of my own savages cause one transmitter controls all my cars now......lol

Last edited:
Flysky was easy. Just did 3 recievers(FS-GR3E) to a transmitter(FS-GT3B) last week. took all of about 3 minutes to bind all 3 to the one transmitter. insert supplied binding jumper in open reciver channel and power the reciever, hold the button till it blink steady, turn on transmitter reciever light goes off. remove bind jumper from reciever and reboot transmitter and your good to go.
my flysky transmitter has an 18car memory so now wifey doesnt get the chance to run me over again with one of my own savages cause one transmitter controls all my cars now......lol

Thanks for your response, bifftit. I appreciate you taking the time to tell me about the conversion with Flysky hardware. I feel a lot more comfortable now that a user has shared their experience with the conversion. Thanks again! Dave

yea, no worries.
I have had this flysky radio a few years now. came with something i bought on ebay. bought more recievers with the intentions of putting all my rc on one radio.
just got around to doing it last week so i cant say how it works yet as its only Feb on the frozen Tundra and its been thawing so its been really too wet to rc.
hopefully next week i will get a chance to test out the old used radio after i get my new servos

yea, no worries.
I have had this flysky radio a few years now. came with something i bought on ebay. bought more recievers with the intentions of putting all my rc on one radio.
just got around to doing it last week so i cant say how it works yet as its only Feb on the frozen Tundra and its been thawing so its been really too wet to rc.

Yes, up there in North Dakota it's been quite a cold spell from the Arctic North. Stay warm and things will thaw and dry up soon enough...

hopefully next week i will get a chance to test out the old used radio after i get my new servos

Keep me posted on your progress. TIA!

Dave

i just took out a jr xs because my son wanted to start running my .21 with a picco .27 and i didn't want him to bend or break my antenna. i used
https://www.amazon.com/FlySky-GT-3C...keywords=FlySky+GT-3C+2.4GHz+Radio+Controller
easy as 1, 2, 3... i think i spent more time messing with the clips and trying to put back the wires in the battery box!!! no reverse on my savage so for the 3rd channel i installed a battery meter like the newer hpi have.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHDJ2&P=ML

i just took out a jr xs because my son wanted to start running my .21 with a picco .27 and i didn't want him to bend or break my antenna. i used
https://www.amazon.com/FlySky-GT-3C...keywords=FlySky+GT-3C+2.4GHz+Radio+Controller
easy as 1, 2, 3... i think i spent more time messing with the clips and trying to put back the wires in the battery box!!! no reverse on my savage so for the 3rd channel i installed a battery meter like the newer hpi have.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHDJ2&P=ML

espdgonzo, thanks for your comments. I'm feeling a LOT better with the issue of swapping out the radio electronics in my Savage XL K5.9 truck. And you get a special thanks for bringing the Battery Voltage Monitor to my attention. That is something else that I might try. Cheers! Dave

So @Wheelin Rev how did the conversion go? I have the "B" model and I love it. I have a "C" model on the way too because it was a deal I couldn't refuse. I think I have about 6 RC bound to my B model. For general bashing it's by far my favorite controller. I have a Spektrum DX2E that I don't care for. The range sucks, but that's probably due to the previous owner of the RC putting heat shrink on the RX antenna. Even without the range issues I prefer my FlySky over the Spektrum.

Latest posts

Members online

Back