Hpi savage x two speed tranny ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reezen11

Have a savage x with two speed tranny
It shifts into second way to early and the adjustment screw is all the way clockwise
Looking for ideas
Thanks

Also was told this was a 4.6 when I purchased it used
Motor however says 25 on it
Very confused

There is a spring in between the adjustment screw and the shift pawl that swings out and grabs second gear. It could be broken or someone may have tried to shorten it. (ill-advised). You should take the shift mechanism apart and examine the spring.
As for the engine, if it says 25 its a 4.1, not a 4.6. Whoever you bought it from probably just didnt know the difference. You will run across that a lot in this hobby lol. They did make a savage x 4.1 before they made the 4.6 version...I suspect that is what you have.

Thank you for the reply
I will take the tranny apart and see what I discover
And I figured that it wasn’t what it was advertised to be
Bought on eBay and advertised as an4.6 and when I asked him if he was sure he said absolutely
Received it and saw 25 on motor and thought hmm something seems off to me

thanks again

Also, there are two screws. One holds the shift disk on the shaft, the other adjusts it. You sure your not trying to turn the one that holds it on the shaft?

2020-0120-SavageX-2SpeedAdjustPart01.jpg

2020-0120-SavageX-2SpeedAdjustPart01.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm I’m not sure
I will have to look a bit closer
I didn’t have time to do anything with it today
But I did notice another hole there or so I thought but it didn’t seem to have anything in the hole
I’m assuming it the same size Allen wrench ?
Thanks

Now that I think about it I don’t think there’s a single thing in the other hole
I found it odd as I remember from the other day
Truck is at my shop so I don’t have it here with me but I bet there’s nothing in it
So my next question would be wouldn’t that keep it stuck in first gear?

If there's nothing in the hole that holds it onto the shaft, then that is likely why your stuck in 1st gear. If/when it does spin the puck fast enough to swing out the pawl, it's not transferring the energy to the 2nd gear spur. I hope you haven't destroyed the puck. It's only aluminum and just spinning on that shaft is likely to damage it over time.

Sounds like you need to tear the trans apart. If it's the 2nd gen trans case, you can pull the top off more easily to get the two speed mechanism out. If it's missing that pin, then you likely have a set screw and set screw/pin rattling around in your trans case doing lord knows what kind of damage to the gears.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back