HPI Savage X 4.6 Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
great job man!!!:resp:

I think those stock shells are junk i have a proline chevy 1500 and i seems stronger as hit hard on the roof and still no damage IMO

I agree the Proline bodies are much tougher than the HPI, but on the other hand they don't give like the stock ones. they crack. But they do last better then stock, and it takes a pretty good hit, Or one just right to get them to crack.

Ok guys I have added a few sections.

Added sections:

Low Speed Handling
High Speed Handing
Bashing
Competition
Tuning
Wrenching

I would have like to add some more but I had something come up saying I could only enter 10,000 characters and I had 10,035 so I had to remove a section, which was the cornering section but I figured that the low and high speed handling section would make up for it!

Good job Parker! I agree with every thing you have said. I found the blue springs and 35wt on the shocks to help alot. Like you said, it's a monster truck.

Hey parker great job, john shultz with HPI told me to use one blue and one

purple spring on each front corner when racing. It worked great when I was

using all eight shocks. I think trixter is still using that setup. Really hooks in

the corners and jumps nice.

Hey parker great job, john shultz with HPI told me to use one blue and one

purple spring on each front corner when racing. It worked great when I was

using all eight shocks. I think trixter is still using that setup. Really hooks in

the corners and jumps nice.

Thanks I will pick me up some springs when I go to pick my parts up and see how it handles.

new era models sells the purple "super duty" springs, there what I'm using with 35wt silicone shock fluid and it works awsome!!

Ok I picked up the parts today to get it back up and running.

I also picked up a wheelie bar for it.

I installed the bigger wheel for lower wheelies for now and will see how that does.

Hoping to run some more tomorrow.

More "battle scars"

While putting the motor back in after installing the wheelie bar and replacing the motor plate I found out that I have somehow bent 1 of the cooling head fins.

The 2nd fin from the top on the back is bent, don't know when it happened or how since I was running the full X roll cage.

After the bad crash w/ the sts.. I had todo something, it helps
See what I did parker ?
IMG_0277.jpg

Pretty slick SJ. I was thinking of something like that but its to late now. Parker, I noticed th stock rollcage will give a little. Ecspecially on the big jumps. Try SJ's idea out, it looks good.

Yep I am going to try that before I run it again after this last run.

The wheelie bar helps but I still cant go WOT from standstill without it flipping over on the lid, lol.

I now know why my fins are bent, when it flips over it is getting rocks shoved in between the fins. I am going to need a new cooling head before it is over, time to get the zip ties out also.

Just go to Lowe's or home depo and ask for some think tubing .. I took that off a old heater core

Great review HPI, I built my own SS but always wanted to see whats in the box.Nice videos too. You know, You seem to be very knowledgeble soWHY are you breaking in a beautiful truck like that without a temp gun? Shame on you!Iuse an old piece of fuel line with the zip ties I thought I may as well use it for something besides a fuel fill pull.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great review HPI, I built my own SS but always wanted to see whats in the box.Nice videos too. You know, You seem to be very knowledgeble soWHY are you breaking in a beautiful truck like that without a temp gun? Shame on you!Iuse an old piece of fuel line with the zip ties I thought I may as well use it for something besides a fuel fill pull.

I had a temp gun and after about 6 months it started acting up, changed battery and it still wouldn't give accurate temps so we set it to the side and haven't used it since. I have a temp gun now (had it about a month or so now) and I check my temps right after each tank and they are always right at 220-250*. The only time that the truck has ran hot is during the last race when the carb mysteriously came loose and actually came off. I will be adding to the review in the next few days.

Awesome review. I am getting my Sav 4.6 RTR this monday teh 21st of Jan. Bad thing is I'm in the middle of a ice freeze where the temps have been averaging from 15 to 25 degrees, with the lowest so far being 4 degrees in the morning. So I wont be breaking anything in for a while :leftright:

But soon as it gets warmer, ill be doin going my break-in within my garage with an industrial garage exhaust fan in the window. Its a large 3 stall garage so ill have a little room to blip after the initial break in and to help keep the temperature warm on the engine by running it in and out of the garage out my driveway and back etc.. :rock:

Time for an update.....

The truck has won 4 races so far and was running good until the carb came loose at the last race, got slammed into and thinking that might have caused it to come loose. I got a new carb for it and started to tune it back to where it was before. At about tank #2 with the new carb it was running in the 220's and was making awesome power. Anyways I nailed the throttle, did a wheelie and it just cut off and at that point I knew something went wrong. I tried to restart the motor, nothing happened so I tore the motor down. When I removed the backplate this is what I see....

100_2240.jpg

100_2244.jpg

100_2245.jpg

100_2247.jpg

100_2243.jpg

At this point the motor had 6 1/2 gallons on it......all was running stong and perfect until this happened.

damm that sucks,man u use that truck alot i have had my savy since july and have only used 2 gals and u went threw 6 1/2,i wish i had that much time

damm that sucks,man u use that truck alot i have had my savy since july and have only used 2 gals and u went threw 6 1/2,i wish i had that much time

The truck gets ran almost every day unless its raining or broke and I would say it gets ran hard. I don't think I will be racing it at the oval anymore.....the oval track has claimed 2 motors now each at 6 gallons.

I think thats about a gallon every 2 weeks....

Well guys somehow I forgot to post this picture, but lets add ANOTHER win for the Savage X 4.6!!!!

Winners_DO_4_png.jpg

Just a pic that we took of all the winners that night of racing.

I waaaaaaaaaaant iit!! I think I'm close of deciding to buy one now :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back